Author Topic: Amazon cd's  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
Amazon cd's
« on: May 20, 2009, 04:43:31 AM »
Hi,

The other night I was surfing on amazon and I decided to purchase some cd's.  I ended up ordering some second hand cd's because they aren't available here in Australia and the new price factoring in shipping was a deal killer.

I paid for the cd's but they appear to be owned by a third party and I'm wondering how it all works.  I haven't experienced this type of buying before.  If it works out I may buy some more in the future.

By the time I order some cd's from the US thru a local hifi store they cost about $40au each.

Regards

Rod

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Amazon cd's
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 07:04:34 AM »
Anyone can sell through Amazon.. If you have stuff to sell, you can register as a seller and then agree to Amazon's terms.  After that you build your reputation much like you would if you were selling on ebay.  So, if things go wrong you do have recourse through Amazon.... but I don't know how good that process really is.. I'm sure it depends on the seller. 

I would only buy from people with good reputations...

If you're talking about 3rd party companies, like J&R Music World and real stores like that.. it's very similar to a person's account but they call it 'Marketplace'.  Its only purpose is to let vendors sell directly but let Amazon advertise the product for them... and it gives you one central place to buy things.

Hope that helps.

-C
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 12:13:10 PM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 07:16:34 AM »
I buy a lot of used CDS on Amazon marketplace.  I have only been screwed twice. Once, was a collectible, the ad said factory shrink wrap. I opened it and got a waft of cig smoke and brown smoke stained pages in the booklet. The seller bought it already wrapped, so he said, he was pretty upset about it so I believed him. I sent him pic of the brown edges and he adjusted the price for me and sent a credit. The other was buying the Jennifier Warnes Cowgirl song on CD for Master Set speaker placement. Seller said it plays fine, but no tracks would rip, it was scratched to hell. It does play (with lots of glitches) in a CDP though, still worth $8 shipped to try. The song is so annoying after 100 plays that few glitches add needed irony. Most of the time the used CDs are fine for ripping with a bit perfect ripper.

bacobits

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 09:38:31 AM »
I have had very good luck at buying used CD's 1/2 off most of the time from Amazon.
Never a problem.

Den

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 03:54:55 PM »
Hi,

It appears to be the sellers market that I purchased the cd's from.  They had good ratings and I used this as a guide to who I made my purchase with.

The cd's were fairly cheap but $21us for shipping was expensive.  Still I have bought three cd's that have cost me about $12au each.  They would have cost me in excess of $30au each to buy new and because of the small market here in perth they aren't readily for sale secondhand.  I recently bought Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions Revisited and it was $33au to buy.

If it works out okay I'll probably use the marketplace again. 

Btw half the time when I get an upgraditis itch I think its because I'm bored with my music.

Regards

Rod

Ecramer

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 05:40:03 PM »
I've bought hundred's of cd's like that off of amazon , and i do mean hundreds  :lol:  and i've only had two buys that went bad.

ED

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 08:35:21 PM »
Rod....

I too have ordered from a number of Amazon private sellers...and have had no problems.

Your shipments may take awhile to get to Oz....or maybe not.

Chris

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 01:46:26 AM »
Hi,

They have already been shipped and should arrive in Oz within 3 weeks.

Btw they cost me $40au I just checked my bank account.  Glad the aussie dollar
isn't too low.

Regards

Rod

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 04:25:03 PM »
Perhaps the most effective way to save would be to purchase several CDs from a source and then, have someone send it surface mail.  It would take close to a month but it would surely save $$$$ rather than by Air.  Unless the ship goes to Australia via the Horn of Africa or something, thus it might give some Somali pirates tunes for their piracy :duh 

I have had great experiences with Amazon CD purchases.  99.99% of them were close to perfect.  I do not buy the CDs in any other way anymore.  Guess I am a cheap bastard.  Hehehe. 

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 03:25:45 AM »
Hi,

I'm a cheap bugger too :roll:.

I don't think there is a facility for sea mail anymore to Australia.  I will try purchasing from
one source and see if that is cheaper.

Regards

Rod