Author Topic: DIY roller blocks??  (Read 30002 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: DIY roller blocks??
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2021, 12:13:05 AM »
I made them many years ago. I took some scrap wood I had lying around, oak floorboards. I cut some squares and drilled a largish hole in the middle. I cut the handles off of some soup spoons I picked up at the crack house and epoxied the spoon pieces onto the blocks, in the drilled holes so they set in better. Then I found some largish (@ 1/3" diameter) metal balls online, I don't remember where (sorry) and put 4 of them under my CD player. I did try it with a cup on top and a cup on the bottom but that didn't seem to be any better than just a cup on the bottom and the CD player riding on the ball, as long as the bottom of the CD player was even.

Al also tried large marbles, but the steel ball bearings worked better. I heard that ceramic ball bearings are harder still and would be better yet, but I didn't try that.

What I did find is that these DIY rollerballs worked best on equipment with a mechanism (CD player) and also under power supplies. Definitely not as good on tubes as squishy things.

I also found some metal oval "pucks" somewhere in the past. I bought a set in aluminum and another in brass. These are about 1" diameter and have 2 convex sides, so they wobble like a roller ball when set down. The good part about these is they don't need any cup or spoon. IMO they worked as well as the DIY roller blocks and the brass was definitely better than they aluminum sound wise.

Good luck.

Good luck.

We has a couple of guys in the club (Bob I’m sure you can guess who) that experimented years ago with this concept using a bag of glass marbles the bought at Toys r Us. They swore up and down that the different colored glass sounded different. I don’t  know that anybody else heard any difference, but they were adamant.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2021, 12:47:37 AM »
Nick if you want to just your toes into the isolation world check out Mapleshade Isoblocks. They only cost $36 for a set of four. But in reality they are actually a very common part in the commercial air conditioning world that is used under Central air compressor units to dispute vibration and lower the operating noise. If you have any kind of HVAC supply house near you print outa picture of them and bring it to th counter and I am sure they will be able to hook you up. I paid 21 cents a piece for mine.  Mapleshade glues two of them together and sells them for $9, and even that is a pretty much unheard of price for anything in this hobby.

I use stacks of two under all of my tube gear because it has top and bottom vents and the extra clearance off the deck helps them draft and dissipate heat better.

They came two ways, a natural cork center and a center of some kind of composite material. They sounded slightly different and I liked the cork better.  However the difference was slight and iboth were better than nothing. If I did not have then to compare head to head I would have easily been happy with either one. But they are cheap enough that you could buy both and see for yourself.

And being as neurotic as I am I took both sets out side with a sound pressure meter and measured what changes were caused by putting them under my AC unit. The spec sheets said that the blue composite ones provided more damping but I could not measure any different. The both lowered the noise from the unit but abot 3db. Not bad for a $1.26 investment (I used 6 of them u deftness A/C.) I left the blue ones in place not because they did a better job, but rather because I thought the composite material would hold up to the weather better than the natural cork.

I have to credit the Pumpkin man for turning me on to these little gems.

I am sure there are products out there that can do a better job, but not at a price that is anywhere near 21 cents.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2021, 11:15:34 AM »
I made them many years ago. I took some scrap wood I had lying around, oak floorboards. I cut some squares and drilled a largish hole in the middle. I cut the handles off of some soup spoons I picked up at the crack house and epoxied the spoon pieces onto the blocks, in the drilled holes so they set in better. Then I found some largish (@ 1/3" diameter) metal balls online, I don't remember where (sorry) and put 4 of them under my CD player. I did try it with a cup on top and a cup on the bottom but that didn't seem to be any better than just a cup on the bottom and the CD player riding on the ball, as long as the bottom of the CD player was even.

Al also tried large marbles, but the steel ball bearings worked better. I heard that ceramic ball bearings are harder still and would be better yet, but I didn't try that.

What I did find is that these DIY rollerballs worked best on equipment with a mechanism (CD player) and also under power supplies. Definitely not as good on tubes as squishy things.

I also found some metal oval "pucks" somewhere in the past. I bought a set in aluminum and another in brass. These are about 1" diameter and have 2 convex sides, so they wobble like a roller ball when set down. The good part about these is they don't need any cup or spoon. IMO they worked as well as the DIY roller blocks and the brass was definitely better than they aluminum sound wise.

Good luck.

Good luck.

We has a couple of guys in the club (Bob I’m sure you can guess who) that experimented years ago with this concept using a bag of glass marbles the bought at Toys r Us. They swore up and down that the different colored glass sounded different. I don’t  know that anybody else heard any difference, but they were adamant.

A few years ago when the Vegas audio club was still together, we had a guy there who had quite a system. He had a glass container that contained some sort of a dark liquid. He and his wife claimed they could hear a difference. The device was never removed from the room for us to evaluate if it worked.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2021, 11:43:21 AM »
Nick if you want to just your toes into the isolation world check out Mapleshade Isoblocks. They only cost $36 for a set of four. But in reality they are actually a very common part in the commercial air conditioning world that is used under Central air compressor units to dispute vibration and lower the operating noise. If you have any kind of HVAC supply house near you print outa picture of them and bring it to th counter and I am sure they will be able to hook you up. I paid 21 cents a piece for mine.  Mapleshade glues two of them together and sells them for $9, and even that is a pretty much unheard of price for anything in this hobby.

I use stacks of two under all of my tube gear because it has top and bottom vents and the extra clearance off the deck helps them draft and dissipate heat better.

They came two ways, a natural cork center and a center of some kind of composite material. They sounded slightly different and I liked the cork better.  However the difference was slight and iboth were better than nothing. If I did not have then to compare head to head I would have easily been happy with either one. But they are cheap enough that you could buy both and see for yourself.

And being as neurotic as I am I took both sets out side with a sound pressure meter and measured what changes were caused by putting them under my AC unit. The spec sheets said that the blue composite ones provided more damping but I could not measure any different. The both lowered the noise from the unit but abot 3db. Not bad for a $1.26 investment (I used 6 of them u deftness A/C.) I left the blue ones in place not because they did a better job, but rather because I thought the composite material would hold up to the weather better than the natural cork.

I am sure there are products out there that can do a better job, but not at a price that is anywhere near 21 cents.

Tom,

I just did a screenshot and will find an hvac supply place. 21 cents each is my kind of cheap experiment. A friend brought these over (the double glued cork type) 3-4 years ago and put them under my components. Took them back next time he visited. I never did a direct a/b, but my system now resolves much, much better than back in those days. So I’ll be quite curious.

Not sure where to start, but probably under my preamp.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2021, 04:16:53 PM »
My feeling is at that price you buy a bag of 20 or so units an spend a few days just experimenting. If they make an improvement, great, and if not you had a weekend worth of audio fun for less than the cost of a Big Mac.

Have fun!

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2021, 11:30:51 PM »

Tom,

I just did a screenshot and will find an hvac supply place. 21 cents each is my kind of cheap experiment. A friend brought these over (the double glued cork type) 3-4 years ago and put them under my components. Took them back next time he visited. I never did a direct a/b, but my system now resolves much, much better than back in those days. So I’ll be quite curious.

To get the 21 cents price you gotta buy bulk.   I bought a box of these from this supplier:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-VPE-200-E-V-A-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

Here's the other version with cork center:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-VPRC-200-Rubber-Cork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

Just shows you what crooks some of these high-end vendors are.  For a set of 4 (8 pieces) MS charges more than 16X the material cost!      :roll:

Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2021, 08:20:25 AM »
  All good suggestions however a goal is required. Do you want to isolate, drain, dampen or dissipate energy from the the component. Devices are designed for each category. Iso Blocks well Isolate. Sorbathane soaks up vibrations, Cones transfer vibrations. There are brass cones, wood cones, composite cones.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2021, 09:18:10 AM »

Tom,

To get the 21 cents price you gotta buy bulk.   I bought a box of these from this supplier:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-VPE-200-E-V-A-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-VPRC-200-Rubber-Cork-Anti-Vibration-Pad-2-x-2-x-7-8

Just shows you what crooks some of these high-end vendors are.  For a set of 4 (8 pieces) MS charges more than 16X the material cost!      :roll:

Thanks for the link. As it’s a nice day here, I’m going to check out the three air conditioning supply places up here.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2021, 09:31:20 AM »
  All good suggestions however a goal is required. Do you want to isolate, drain, dampen or dissipate energy from the the component. Devices are designed for each category. Iso Blocks well Isolate. Sorbathane soaks up vibrations, Cones transfer vibrations. There are brass cones, wood cones, composite cones.

charles

Charles,
My goal is to squeeze out maximum performance of the gear that I’m using right now. I don’t know what to expect getting into this area of anti-vibration technology. After I’m done with the vibration control, I will move on to acoustic treatment. That’s another area that I’ve never gotten into.

It would be nice to have this result in more detail retrieval, a slightly cleaner presentation,  maybe a slight improvement in bass presentation. I currently don’t have a CD player and I’m never going back to one. I am streaming only 100% nowadays. I realize that the different products isolate, dampen, drain etc. I’m trying to get it clear in my mind as to which of my components would function better with which of these anti-vibration devices. My entire house is concrete slab and the engineered flooring in the living room listening area has a very thin rubber? backing. So this is a quite solid floor.

I am also wondering if I should replace my Pangea rack with some thing like a VTI that has the spikes that provide isolation for each shelf. I’m willing to spend five or 600 bucks on a new audio rack. Lots to think about right now....
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2021, 01:29:28 PM »

Tom,

Thanks for the info. I went to two HVAC suppliers today and both only have the cork in the 4 x 4 size. I’m not gonna mess trying to cut those into smaller pieces with a large wood blade on my table circular saw.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2021, 07:41:02 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pack-Anti-Vibration-Pads-rubber-cork-2-x-2-x-7-8-HVAC-COMPRESSOR-/190770569459

Still pricey @$12.95, but...
I bought a box of those, mounted some concave drawer pulls in them, and put a ball bearing in it.  That sits under a cutting board and my turntable. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2021, 08:20:14 AM »

charles

Charles,
My goal is to squeeze out maximum performance of the gear that I’m using right now. I don’t know what to expect getting into this area of anti-vibration technology. After I’m done with the vibration control, I will move on to acoustic treatment. That’s another area that I’ve never gotten into.

It would be nice to have this result in more detail retrieval, a slightly cleaner presentation,  maybe a slight improvement in bass presentation. I currently don’t have a CD player and I’m never going back to one. I am streaming only 100% nowadays. I realize that the different products isolate, dampen, drain etc. I’m trying to get it clear in my mind as to which of my components would function better with which of these anti-vibration devices. My entire house is concrete slab and the engineered flooring in the living room listening area has a very thin rubber? backing. So this is a quite solid floor.

I am also wondering if I should replace my Pangea rack with some thing like a VTI that has the spikes that provide isolation for each shelf. I’m willing to spend five or 600 bucks on a new audio rack. Lots to think about right now....

OK then. Speaker location will affect and improve bass production. IMHO I would do the room first. Everything you described can be attained with an acoustically treated room. Requires a spectrum analyzer to measure. Consult with a room treatment vendor and be happier. As far as the rack is concerned that may be a sideways move for now. Tubes like draining and absorbing. DAC isolation, streamer isolation. BTW consider improved power supplies for your digital as well as a Digibuss.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2021, 10:27:11 AM »
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Pack-Anti-Vibration-Pads-rubber-cork-2-x-2-x-7-8-HVAC-COMPRESSOR-/190770569459

I bought a box of those, mounted some concave drawer pulls in them, and put a ball bearing in it.  That sits under a cutting board and my turntable. 

Yeah, they have those at Lowes.  For a selection of balls go here:

https://www.vxb.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwo-aCBhC-ARIsAAkNQitFg0cp0NiAp1Bmno1pG-u-1cB9Vmwy2Aq7Z6nrQGB-kR2j7FP5uN8aAj7dEALw_wcB
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2021, 06:35:32 PM »

Naw, that’s fine...and better than me trying to use a big rough wood blade to cut the 4x4 size.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 08:35:05 PM by Nick B »
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS