Author Topic: Balance control  (Read 8132 times)

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
Balance control
« on: April 07, 2022, 12:37:35 PM »
Never had balance control before but I'm using it to balance my sound. Due to the layout of my room I have one speaker close to a corner and obviously there is an increase in bass response. By moving the balance control a bit to the other speaker I am  somewhat balancing my sound. Any thought or is anyone else doing the same thing ?
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Re: Balance control
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 09:09:59 PM »
Never had balance control before but I'm using it to balance my sound. Due to the layout of my room I have one speaker close to a corner and obviously there is an increase in bass response. By moving the balance control a bit to the other speaker I am  somewhat balancing my sound. Any thought or is anyone else doing the same thing ?

Hi EJK. I am wondering if you have enough for a walmart pillow (4 bucks or so)? Even one in the corner, on the bass heavy side, will lessen the problem to some extent. If you can put 2, either back to back, or one on top of the other should help even more.

In the corner because it addresses all three directions, side wall, front wall, floor to ceiling.

Hope this helps.

steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline ejk

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 01:14:12 AM »

Hi EJK. I am wondering if you have enough for a walmart pillow (4 bucks or so)? Even one in the corner, on the bass heavy side, will lessen the problem to some extent. If you can put 2, either back to back, or one on top of the other should help even more.

In the corner because it addresses all three directions, side wall, front wall, floor to ceiling.

Hope this helps.

steve

I have a 4 inch bass trap caddy cornered in that spot. Probably not enough trapping but due to constraints with room size I'm limited. What I usually do for long term listening sessions I pull my speakers out further into the room but can't not leave them there on a day to day basis.

I have a long pillow I will try
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2022, 04:41:24 AM »
Try speaker  toe-in crossing in front of you
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline ejk

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2022, 04:57:44 AM »
Try speaker  toe-in crossing in front of you

Thats how I had them. The AP sound better that way but you know who had to get involved. He knows the room he had the same house next door for 15 years and previously had Virgo's.
Toed in the speakers disappear like AP's are supposed to. Anyway I toed them in and they are sounding better but still have to work on the bass

Offline ejk

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 06:24:05 AM »

Hope this helps.

steve

Tried what Steve suggested and it has helped with some of the boom I was experiencing. Will try more pillows
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 06:25:48 AM by ejk »

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2022, 07:51:51 AM »
Try stuffing the rear ports?
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline ejk

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2022, 08:07:12 AM »
Try stuffing the rear ports?

Thats what she said

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2022, 04:51:24 PM »

Hope this helps.

steve

Tried what Steve suggested and it has helped with some of the boom I was experiencing. Will try more pillows

I was wondering if you have stood it up as well as lying down (assuming I am seeing the photo correctly)?

Looks like you can stash more, and with pillows being soft, you can "crush" the pillow(s) with your speaker when the speaker is not out in the room more.

cheers

steve
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline ejk

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2022, 11:49:21 PM »
If you click on the photo  It gets bigger

Offline ejk

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2022, 04:21:13 AM »
I solved my problem. My panel has 1/4 inch plywood backing on it. Why sell a bass trap with a backing ? Anyway after a search on google i was able to find this

"This creates a gap behind the panel where the bass wave has a chance to bounce against the wall and pass back through your trap a second time! It's the most efficient way to use these traps, especially when you're on a budget. We hang all panels with a gap behind them for this reason"

Took out my oscillating tool and open up the back and it is sounding really good now

Thanks

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2022, 08:06:18 PM »
I solved my problem. My panel has 1/4 inch plywood backing on it. Why sell a bass trap with a backing ? Anyway after a search on google i was able to find this

"This creates a gap behind the panel where the bass wave has a chance to bounce against the wall and pass back through your trap a second time! It's the most efficient way to use these traps, especially when you're on a budget. We hang all panels with a gap behind them for this reason"

Took out my oscillating tool and open up the back and it is sounding really good now

Thanks

Glad it worked out well Evan. Good luck on any future mods and testing.

Cheers

steve
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline ejk

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 02:35:51 PM »
Well, we were all wrong on this one. It was never perfect after my so-called solution. I was moving my left speaker today and heard a rattle on the bottom of the speaker. I took the plinth off the bottom to access the internals and found that the woofer chamber had become unglued from the bottom of the speaker and it wasn't aligned with the port of the speaker. Took out the trusty liquid nails and reglued the chamber to the bottom of the speaker. There it was centered image and balanced. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 02:37:40 PM by ejk »

Offline ejk

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 03:07:38 PM »
Big difference I can now feel bass guitar resonate on my body.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 05:56:03 AM »
Well, we were all wrong on this one. It was never perfect after my so-called solution. I was moving my left speaker today and heard a rattle on the bottom of the speaker. I took the plinth off the bottom to access the internals and found that the woofer chamber had become unglued from the bottom of the speaker and it wasn't aligned with the port of the speaker. Took out the trusty liquid nails and reglued the chamber to the bottom of the speaker. There it was centered image and balanced. 
Big difference I can now feel bass guitar resonate on my body.

Well done! :thumb:
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...