Author Topic: Vista vs. XP Audio PC  (Read 21991 times)

shep

Re: Vista vs. XP Audio PC
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2009, 10:16:32 AM »
Found it: http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm This is a good way to detox from AudioNervosa...replace with ComputerNervosa!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 10:31:31 AM »
Good one shep!

Here's his advice for XP sp3 users
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »
I thought asio was only for XP?

Bryan

I'm not sure .
 Should have checked my facts first could very well be correct. All I know is the improvement wrought was quite noticeable. For the first time I can say without hesitation that computer based audio has come a long way. Before that program was installed it was like listening to an inexpensive modern day CDP. Now like spending a lot of stupid money. With ICs, powercord, footers, stand, maple, I'm past $6000. Now I'm so close with the pooter and USB DAC its just silly. Makes one wonder exactly what we paid for eh.

charles   
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 11:36:08 PM »
" Makes one wonder exactly what we paid for eh. "
I don't want to hear this
please
please

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 05:22:46 AM »
I'm glad you guys are finally getting a taste of why I went w/ the audio PC... I'm using a Squeezebox now but it's a poor substitute for the real thing.  It does take more time to get it configured properly but once done, it's essentially a multi-thousand dollar sound.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 07:06:21 AM »
An unmodded SB with a stock PS is certainly a poor substitute.  Once you get it tweaked with a good PS, it's damn good and no config headaches.  This last step with the BPT mod and the BPT battery PS was that last little bit. 

The only problem I have with direct PC audio is having a machine in my room. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

mgalusha

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2009, 09:02:07 AM »
endpcnoise.com has a fanless PC and one can get a SS hard disk to hold the OS, for an utterly silent PC with no moving parts. Essentially the same thing Goodwins sells as they build them for Goodwins. Of course this is far from inexpensive, about $2600 + a good sound card that will output 24/192 to your DAC if you don't want to use the one on the machine. At the other end there are the tiny machines that can run from a flash drive and use a USB dac and also have no moving parts.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2009, 09:40:14 AM »
Oh.  It can absolutely be done and that's good info Mike.  For me, it's just the physical locating of a PC in the living room.  The listening room is a different story.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

mgalusha

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 12:13:41 PM »
Oh.  It can absolutely be done and that's good info Mike.  For me, it's just the physical locating of a PC in the living room.  The listening room is a different story.

They have made it a little easier, at least it looks more or less like an audio component.

[attachment deleted by admin based on 2 year limit]

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 12:58:23 PM »

They have made it a little easier, at least it looks more or less like an audio component.

Now we are talking. Brian the nervosa will soon set in , poor lad. I love this hobby.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 01:10:38 PM »
" Makes one wonder exactly what we paid for eh. "
please
please

Yup !  Shep you must come over and hear it for yourself. At first i thought it was the excitement of a new toy. Ya know your gonna like it because its " oh so good" " The best I ever Heard " is the buzz of the week. Now after 250 hrs of break in for the USB DAC and the correct ripping and playback programs it truly is very very good. As I was learning the ripping and playing settings, the sound got better with correct settings. It was quite evident.  As a non computer person its amazes me actually how easy it was. The USB DAC programs itself right in. You then download EAC a ripping service and J. River Media  as the playback. Installed ASIO #4 drive and wa laski music for my ears. Best part DAC price.

charles