Author Topic: Vista vs. XP Audio PC  (Read 21484 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Vista vs. XP Audio PC
« on: June 14, 2007, 06:42:33 AM »
I just bought a new HP slimline PC for the audio room.... based on its size and (seemingly) quiet operation I thought it a perfect replacement for the huge one I had that makes a low hum.

It comes pre-loaded with Vista and after removing the 40 or 50 applications I didn't need, it runs pretty quick, has great graphics, looks nice, etc... It's a little noisier than what I could tell at the store... but stores are noisier so it's tough to say... but I'd swear the display-version I saw was quieter.

My main question...

Has anyone noticed if Vista doesn't have as much detail retrieval and/or possibly dynamic range as a PC using XP?

I'm using the same USB DAC on 2 machines... the XP machine allows me to 'unmap' the kmixer but the Vista machine doesn't... and I'm wondering if the way Vista handles sound is worse than XP...  Or, maybe the USB datastream is different... I don't know.  I don't have a way to compare the digital out to the USB output at this time. 

I like the way Vista works/feels for an audio PC.. no problems with that... I just didn't want to have to install XP from scratch if there was some little checkbox that I was missing somewhere... But I will if XP is known to sound better... plus it'll end up being a cleaner install.

Also, I'm using Foobar... in its default state.. maybe there is something missing there I should check... hmm.

Thanks for any thoughts or links to XP vs. Vista used as a transport.

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

miklorsmith

Re: Vista vs. XP Audio PC
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 07:29:22 AM »
I haven't heard either in the configuration you're using, but this might be helpful:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?icomp&1173483403&read&3&4&

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 08:04:10 AM »
Carl... I'm just starting down the same path... just picked up a Dell XPS410 (w/Vista Premium) because I had read how quiet it is.   And, as long as there's not a big load on it, it is totally quiet.   I had read the same post referenced by Mike but I'm still using my SB3 and Slimserver and haven't gone down the path (yet) of putting the computer in my listening room w/digital out directly to Tact.   

What I am "toying" with is converting my WAV files from 16/44.1khz to 24/48khz to see if I can hear an audible improvement (via Slimserver -> SB3 w/digital out ->Tact).   Anthony @ Aberdeen felt that this was something worth checking out.   I'll post my findings -- just now collecting the tools to do so.   Anyone else have any experience with this?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 11:03:58 AM »
Carl... I'm just starting down the same path... just picked up a Dell XPS410 (w/Vista Premium) because I had read how quiet it is.   And, as long as there's not a big load on it, it is totally quiet.   

Well dang.. I didn't even know about that one... :(  It's 300 more though.. The 210 is the same size as the HP I have... and that'd be 400 more... (and that's base price, plus taxes, shipping, etc.)  I might have to get crafty with the one I have...

edit... checked and the 410 is only 100 more than what I have... might have to go that route after all... "silent" is my goal... I have "pretty quiet" now...

Also, I read that Agon comment... and so far I'm having the opposite results as kacz.  Less detail, more veil, more 'smoothed over' sounding.... not sure what kacz had wrong on his XP setup, though... sounds like he tried hard to fix it and couldn't... and got a new PC that sounded better...

When I had the TacT, I played around with various outputs from my M-Audio Delta DIO card... it can do 48,k and a bunch more.. but I couldn't get it to be reliable for whatever reason... so, I'll be curious what results you hear.

-C
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 11:31:09 AM by Carlman »

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 12:11:31 PM »
One of the "features" of Vista is that if it decides the audio or video is copyrighted it will reduce the quality on the fly, without notifying you.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 01:09:27 PM »
Found this stuff so far. Let me know if any help, or else I'll keep looking.

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsvista/articles/450038.aspx
Scroll down to Feb 19th, 2nd post from the bottom. XP drivers better than generic Vista drivers. You are USB, so might not apply.

Also this USB specific thread:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t54585.html
Disable windows sounds. If one goes off it lowers resolution of all subsequent sounds until reboot. pisser

If I know you, you got this figured out already :)
Good luck

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 01:27:03 PM »
One of the "features" of Vista is that if it decides the audio or video is copyrighted it will reduce the quality on the fly, without notifying you.

Well crap... everything I listen to is copywritten... I don't know why they let us buy cd's in the first place. ;)

Thanks for the info, Rich.. I have disabled all sounds... but I haven't gotten very far with anything else.
-C

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 01:41:21 PM »
Do you have a discreet driver for the SN DAC, or does it use windows USB driver and nothing more? The windows USB driver most certainly has changed for Vista, but probably not a good idea to try rolling that back to XP version  :?

Scott may have some valuable insight. He might appreciate knowing you're having a problem before he releases a new USB product into a cold and lonely Windows Vista world. Not everybody is rushing to upgrade so he might not know there might be an issue.

According to that post, you will have to reboot after you shut off windows sounds to re-enable hi res. I would also disable all that funky Vista enhanced sound crap.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 01:49:31 PM »
Thanks again, Rich.. I'll give it a whirl.
I'm thinking more and more of going back to XP, though... More control, less copyright B.S.  I hate being penalized because Microsoft made an improper assumption.  MS likes to use its penal code. ;)

mgalusha

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 04:39:03 PM »
Well crap... everything I listen to is copywritten... I don't know why they let us buy cd's in the first place. ;)

Of course it is, but the kicker is that Vista has to thing it's copy protected. My problem is that it doesn't tell you when this occurs.

I looked for the info again, it's been a while since I read it. It's what Vista determines to be "premium" content. While this will be mainly applicable to video it does apply to audio. It may not be causing your decreased quality but I have fundamental issues with this.

All the gory details: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html#quality This is a long read but worth the time.

mike

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 09:02:45 AM »
It comes pre-loaded with Vista and after removing the 40 or 50 applications I didn't need, it runs pretty quick

This reminded me of a post I read a while back about some software that is supposed to remove all the bloatware from a new PC. I can't find the post now and am curious if anyone knows what this software is?
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Dougie085

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 01:50:24 PM »
Well unless your music is DRM encoded this shouldn't happen. Also vista has a feature called bit perfect which means it doesn't do anything to the audio at all. If your PC is setup correctly music should actually sound better in Vista.... but I still think the linux audio drivers are better :D

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 07:57:43 AM »
Just install AIOS #4 drive and your music will sound so much better bypassing anything to do with Windows XP or Vista.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 08:26:39 AM »
I thought asio was only for XP?

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

shep

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 09:14:00 AM »
Slightly off-topic...I am very happy with Windows 7, even in its Beta stage is noticeably better and faster than Vista. Having said that, I have no idea how it handles music files. The word is that recent purchases of a machine with Vista installed will be given 7 when it comes out this summer for a very reduced price (possibly even for free + the price of postage. This has not been confirmed though. Bloatware...now there's a subject. There are numerous ways and means. The simplest is CC cleaner. (freeware). There's also another brilliant piece of FW called Revo uninstaller. For those who are computer savy, there are various sites explaining how to trim down "Services" on Vista or Xp and a host of tricks about cutting down shut-down and boot times. With a fast machine, Vista can be gotten to work very well but 7 is even better. Once one has tasted 7 it's hard to go back to XP.