Author Topic: 20 Amp IEC  (Read 6663 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
20 Amp IEC
« on: March 02, 2010, 07:57:19 AM »
Does anyone have a source for a 20A IEC to put on the end of my Kaplan power cord? I will be contacting Paul directly when he gets back from vacation, of course.

I'm getting a new amp (McCormack DNA 500) and it has a 20A IEC on the back, not the standard 15A one. The Oayides and Furetech's are like $100+ each.

Thanks,
Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: 20 Amp IEC
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:09:03 AM »
You tried mouser?

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 08:34:56 AM »
I would send Paul the cord you have now and get him to swap it out for a properly configured 20amp cord. I'm not sure how Paul does it but I know we build our cords a little different when they are going in to either a full 20amp system (20amp Male & IEC) and even a partial 20amp system (IEC only).

You can also have him re-terminate the cord you have now for 20amp use.

I'm personally not a fan of re-terminating cords and thus if Paul is willing, I would go with my first suggestion.

pmkap

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 09:21:16 AM »
Bob,

Not a problem. Either ship it to me, or stop by. It will take me 15min to re-terminate, but you won't get off that easy as you'll have to listen to the new Bybee/Curl/(Kaplan) power conditioner. Frigg'n Bybees don't make any sense to me, but they certainly are doing something. :wtf:

-Paul

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 10:50:33 AM »
Only if you promise it will be a double blind, alcohol and drug free test using acoustic music only in a space free of allergans with a filtered air circulation system and on a day of the month when my biorhythmic cycles are in balance. Otherwise it won't be a valid test.  :duh

pmkap

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 11:47:47 AM »
Drug and alcohol free???? No frigg'n way....
Thats the only way to make auditioning power conditioners, powercords, etc.... bearable.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:12:26 PM by pmkap »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 12:39:44 PM »
I'm getting a new amp (McCormack DNA 500) and it has a 20A IEC on the back, not the standard 15A one. The Oayides and Furetech's are like $100+ each.

Thanks,
Bob

Great amp!  I can't say enough good about it and it will respond well to a power cord that just gets out of the way. 

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 01:32:42 PM »
It must sound great with your Ariel's Mike. Killer!

I'm stepping up from a Rev A DNA .5, so I'm familiar with the house sound. I'm expecting that extra dynamic and ease that the .5 has a little trouble with, while keeping the finesse and texture that I find so musically alluring. According to the McCormack guys I should get even more of that with the 500. Can't wait.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 08:55:10 PM »
I'm getting a new amp (McCormack DNA 500) ....

Another fan here....if only I had more room. :duh

Enjoy Bob...now you can "power" anything !!! 8)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
I doubt you'll want for headroom or other power related qualities when the DNA-500 is running.  I'd like to hear it again now that my crossovers are completely different.  I liked a lot about it but it excited qualities in the upper mids of my speakers that the McIntosh softens.  Now, the speakers are fairly neutral and not as 'excitable' so the DNA may sound perfect... It is among the top amps I've heard. (that I could afford)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 02:21:25 PM »
Mike let me try his amp last summer, on the Ushers it was probably the best amp I had on those. Bass was not quite as speedy as the Spectron, but otherwise it was the best ever.  Congrats on a great new amp Bob.

AcidJazz

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 04:05:27 PM »
If it takes him just 15 minutes to remove and re-terminate that IEC, I will eat my hat.  :rofl:
Bring a timer.