Author Topic: New Web Browser - Apple's Safari  (Read 4765 times)

Bigfish8

New Web Browser - Apple's Safari
« on: December 22, 2009, 07:04:44 PM »
Guys:

I have been using Firefox as my web browser for the last year and was just made aware that Apple has developed a new browser named Safari.  I downloaded it here: http://www.apple.com/safari/download/ 
It seems to be very fast and I like the slick interface for frequently visited sites.

Ken

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: New Web Browser - Apple's Safari
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 10:19:02 AM »
I'm a huge fan of Firefox so I doubt I'll be diverted, but Chrome looks equally appealing.  Not sure what Safari can hold that would be worth the switch.   

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 10:33:19 AM »
I may be wrong but hasn't Safari has been around for awhile now? I played around with it and ended up going back to Firefox as I like how it works.

If anything was going to make me switch it would be Chrome but I have zero complaints with Firefox so I'm going to stay the course.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:44:22 AM »
Safari and Chrome work off the same code base.... which is not as complete as firefox and IE... IE and Firefox have some very big differences compared to Safari/Chrome...  If you surf a lot of websites that have a lot of .NET coding, they are going to seriously puke with Safari and Chrome... trust me... I deal with it every day...

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:29:32 PM »
If you surf a lot of websites that have a lot of .NET coding, they are going to seriously puke with Safari and Chrome... trust me... I deal with it every day...

Add IE6 to that list. 
BTW, I think with IE8 MS is finally going to adhere to W3C standards... So developers don't have to code for IE6, IE7, and other browsers independently.  woohoo! 
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 03:06:55 PM »
Been using Chrome for 6 months, and I Love it! I use IE only when I have to.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 07:17:53 PM »
I might try it, but Chrome, IE7, IE8, FireFox have pissed me off. Not sure I wanna jump headlong into the abyss of yet another mega large piece of software installed on my harddrive. Plus the learning curve of getting the bugs out of yet another program.  :roll: Getting tired of it. If enough folks like Safari, I might give it a shot, but probably not. If memory serves, it's been out quite a while.

Bob - cynical  :?

philotechnic

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2009, 11:10:31 AM »
Ken, I've had my MacBook about 6 weeks now - successfully migrated the business accounts from Windows Quick Books to Mac Quick Books and emails from Outlook to MacMail.  The conversion is complete and I have a Windows free system, the only Microsoft product is Office Mac.

I have an hourly backup performed wirelessly and automatically (Time Machine and Time Capsule), offsite backups with Mobile Me and a battery life of 6-7 hours.

I spent hours yesterday eliminating Hotbar from a friends XP laptop, it just reminded about the bad old days.  Every time I revert back to a Windows computer it feels like a retrograde step.  I'm surprised how quickly I've been converted.  The future for my house is Mac, when the next PC dies it will be replaced by a computer that boots in seconds, doesn't need anti-virus software and is fun to use....It's not perfect but way closer to perfection than what I've been having to deal with from Microsoft the last 25 years!