Author Topic: Questions about IE7 and Firefox  (Read 17802 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Questions about IE7 and Firefox
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2010, 05:29:14 AM »
Saw this thread about browsers and thought I would pass along this info that I got from one of the on-line IT  newsletters. Many people (myself included) who have been using Firefox and Chrome have chosen not to install the IE8 upgrade because they didn't plan on using it anyway so why risk running into installation problems (gee, where is the precedent for that?)
Well, it seems that this cam be problematic from a system security basis. It turns out that both FF & Chrome do application calls to the IE code set. So even if you are not running the IE program directly, you are still using the code. SO, if you have not installed IE8 and kept it up to date, you can have some serious security hole in whatever other browser you are using. This caught me by surprise, although it shouldn't have. When the EU tried to get MS to remove IE from Windows for antitrust reasons MS's reply was that they couldn't because other programs used parts of the IE code and would not run if IE was not there. At that time they were specifically referring to other components of Windows itself, but the same theory is in play here as well.

So the bottom line is that it is still important to have the latest MS browser9 and all its updates) installed on your machine, no matter what you are actually using as you browser.

Just thought you guys would like to know.

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

shep

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2010, 09:22:43 AM »
hmm. I didn't install 8 when installing Win 7. The only thing hackers are going to find is a lot of gibberish about audio stuff. Still...if you say so. Groan

mgalusha

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2010, 11:12:13 AM »
Windows uses the rendering engine in IE for a lot of things. Even if you use alternative browsers such as Chrome or Firefox it's a very good idea to keep IE as up to date and patched as possible.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2010, 06:11:07 PM »
Wow, I just caught up to this thread (haven't been receiving emails for topic replies). So it sounds like they've "got you" whether you like it or not.  :roll:
I've since gone back to the good old IE8. Seems to be the lesser of the evils compared to Chrome and FF.

Someday computers won't do what we don't want them to, and will do what we'd like them to do.
Until then........cheers and good luck.  :lol:

Bob

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 10:32:40 AM »
Someday computers won't do what we don't want them to, and will do what we'd like them to do.
I've been using Win7 Pro and find it does much more of what I want it to do. Tons faster as well.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 11:15:11 AM »
Yes, the Win7 pro has some very nice helpful features indeed. Not sure I noticed a difference in speed though. Overall I'd recommend it.

Bob