Author Topic: Questions about IE7 and Firefox  (Read 17813 times)

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Questions about IE7 and Firefox
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 10:51:23 AM »
Alright, I've got a couple bugs with IE8 and the IE7Pro app.
I've been checking on the PC tech forums, even posted in one of them my issues with IE8. But after 108 views and six days, there hasn't been a reply.
My newest issue started today, and it's a BIGGIE!
The IP address for my SqueezeBox isn't recognized as a "real" address anymore. It redirects me to a Dell/Google search page (screen shot below) asking if one of these options are what I'm looking for.  :roll:

Twice today, it has stopped streaming music in the middle of a song. Nothing I do, short of restarting the PC will get it back. Less than 30 minutes later, it stops streaming again.

Here's a screen shot of the redirect page. In this case, I was trying to go to my Photobucket account (note the address in red font). But now I'm getting this for SqueezeCenter as well.
Any ideas?

mgalusha

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 12:25:30 PM »
Bob, it really looks like you have some spyware/malware on your computer. Note the URL is photobucket.adxns.com - this means the crapware is redirecting your PC to it's server. Usually this is either for ad serving or to install something foul on your PC. Since many of your problems sound like DNS issues this is even more likely.

Give malwarebytes a shot, it's pretty good at removing stuff like that.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Note that some spy/mal ware will redirect that to another site. If the page you land at doesn't look like the one below I'd say visit a neighbor or relative and download a copy to a USB drive or burn it to a CD.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 01:08:24 PM »
Ohhh....!!!   :shock:
Mike, I've been having DNS issues for the past several months. I thought I had them all worked out by changing the browser and some settings on my DSL router/modem.
I also thought these "little bugs" are just normal growing pains created by switching browsers. You wouldn't believe what I've gone through.

I'll download it immediately. Thank you very much Mike.  :thumb:

I'll let you know how it goes.  [-o<

Bob

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 01:35:39 PM »
When you use malwarebytes, you may have to rename the install file, and/or rename the executable to get it to run. When you do get the install program to run, make sure you allow it to update itself on first startup. It is very effective cleaner, the only thing that will remove antivirus2009 & variants.

The other thing it could be is a duplicate IP address, but that is less likely because it works for longer periods of time.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 09:37:28 AM »
Rich, thanks for the info.  :D

Looks like things are improved. It found three issues on my PC, none on the wifes PC. SqueezeCenter is running perfectly today. The PC hasn't been flawless today, but it's much MUCH better.

Mike, thanks. This makes life quite a bit easier. :thumb:

Bob

mgalusha

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 01:10:17 PM »
Glad we were able to help and things are running better.

shep

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 11:59:57 PM »
May I add to this topic? Just recently Microsoft has released (quietly AND FREE???) an in-house anti-vir, anti-malware soft called " Microsoft Security Essentials" It's downloadable on their site. Everyone was very skeptical at first but I gotta say it works like a charm and even found two nasties I didn't know I had. Small memory usage, discrete, efficient (what's Microsoft coming to!) I got rid of all other anti's applications, turned off their old built in one and recommend it totally.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2009, 06:13:38 AM »
Thanks shep. I got Win7 gold upgrade in the mail yesterday, so I'm looking forward to switching to that from  Vista.  Maybe it will have that SecurityEssentials built in as standard.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2009, 07:56:53 AM »
I take it all back.  :roll:
Still doing the same thing as before.  :duh

When it happens with SqueezeCenter (7.4), I get that same Dell/Google error page, but the address in red is the IP as it should be, nothing more. Meaning that it doesn't have that "adnxs" thing in there.

Regarding the Windows 7, I'm excited about this one. With all the buzz on the forums and not a single bad comment, that bids well for M.S.

Here's a silly question; I thought the word 'Pentium' was used as the next step above 486 due to the fact they couldn't patent a number. But now they've got a new OS with a number?

Bob

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 08:04:41 AM »
I think it was 586 specifically that was taken already.

As for the browser, try Firefox.  Are you wired or wireless?  Static or dynamic IP on the SB from the router on the internal network?

Bryan
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 08:10:24 AM by bpape »
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 08:18:11 AM »
Hey Bryan,
I tried FF for a couple months. I like it, but there's one annoying issue with it I could never figure out. Most of the time, images embedded in forum posts will not display. I don't even get the little white box with the red 'x' in it. It simply doesn't acknowledge a picture even exists. That's proven most inconvenient as you can imagine.

The DSL modem/router is wired to my PC, but wireless for all other equipment/computers in the house.

I *think* the IP for the SB is static. The reason I say that is because the address in the address bar is always: http://127.0.0.1:9000/

Bob

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2009, 09:26:22 AM »
If it's just a forum problem, try FF just for the SB server side.  I wouldn't think it's really a browser issue but you never know.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2009, 09:37:44 AM »
Yea, I could do that, but I'd hate to have two browsers open. I'm sure it won't hurt anything, it's just a PITA.
That still doesn't get IE working correctly though.
Gawd I hate computers sometimes.  :duh

Bob

Offline richidoo

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2009, 10:46:54 AM »
127.0.0.1 is the internal IP address for your local computer. Every computer's internal IP address is always that the colon and number following signifiy the port number that is the door to squeezecenter application within the computer. You could change it inside setup if you were so inclined. Your PC also has an external IP address which it uses to communicate outside. You can find out what that is by typing ipconfig into a command prompt window.

You can find out if it is static or dynamic IP by looking at your network properties.  Go to control panel, network connections, right click on your wired connection, properties. Highlight Internet Protocol then press properties button. It is dynamic if it says "obtain an IP address automatically. "  Otherwise you will see the static IP in the fields below.  DNS can also be set to automatic.   

It is so much easier to use dynamic addressing, aka "DHCP" if at all possible. If DHCP doesn't seem to work right then there is another problem that should be fixed to make DHCP work.   I know you'r been through the ringer with your host, so  just take this fwiw, not suggesting you change anything if it's working for ya.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2009, 02:23:01 PM »
I've been jacking with IP addresses. Nothing seems to have improved. The SC software has been "bugless", but I don't think I've done anything to have fixed that.

I'm still getting the same bugs on my PC as well as the wifes.  :roll:
I've actually contemplated the switch to Windows 7 and starting all over. I've been hearing good things. That sure seems like it could help.

I don't know...  :-k

Bob