Author Topic: Questions about IE7 and Firefox  (Read 17764 times)

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
Questions about IE7 and Firefox
« on: October 11, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »
Hey all,
I've been alternating between IE8, Firefox and Chrome for a few months now. As it turns out, Chrome isn't compatible with the AT&T software (my ISP and email provider), so I need to choose between IE or Firefox.
Both have pros and cons, but there is a large "con" with each of them. If I could fix one of the cons, on either piece of software, I could live with it and uninstall the others.
Here's my issues:

- IE8. I caint speel vary weel, so a speelcheker wuld be nise.
Firefox and Chrome both have automatic spell checker that underline a misspelled word as soon as I type it. This is most convenient as opposed to copying my typed text, pasting it to another program simply for the spell check feature. If there's a way to get IE8 to do this, it would be HUGE in my book.

- Firefox. Most of the time, images embedded in forum posts will not display. I don't even get the little white box with the red 'x' in it. It simply doesn't acknowledge a picture even exists. That's proven most inconvenient as you can imagine.

There are a couple other weird issues with both pieces, but are tolorable at this point in time.

If anybody knows a way to fix either of these, I'd be grateful.
Thanks fells!
Bob

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Questions about IE7 and Firefox
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 03:32:40 PM »
I use ATT for ISP also, recently sold out from  bellsouth.net.  I use Chrome with no problem.

When you say the ATT software is not compatible with Chrome, what do you mean? All you need from ATT is your login info entered into your network client or router and then you should be able to use whatever client software you want. You don't have to use their homepage, client software, email software etc.

I recently tried all the popular browsers, and settled on Chrome after a decade of using and supporting IE. Firefox never did it for me, but another new version promises further improvements. It's just clunky. Chrome is intuitive and fast.

I do use Mozilla (firefox publisher) Thunderbird for mail and their thunderbord integrated scheduling software too, I forget what that's called. Replaces Outlook pretty well. I'm gonna try Open Office and Google Docs eventually, once my 20 free instances of MS Office runs out.   Nowadays I do all my typing on audio forums, so don't need word processor anymore. haha

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 04:00:20 PM »
Thanks for the speedy reply Rich.
I've been fighting DNS errors for several months now. Maybe close to a year....think I've finally got them worked out (with no credit going to DNS forums or AT&T tech support). My level of frustration with computers has reached an all time high. Hearing bullshit excuses from AT&T about my problems being caused by the PC is too close to my cordless phone, and my router can't be in the same room as my satellite receiver and the PS3 being wirelessly connected is changing the setting on my router/modem....... :x :roll:

I decided to move away from Chrome since......well.....crap, I don't know. Honestly, I'm so freakin' tired of PC issues that I could puke, or smash the POS with a hammer. I figured I should play by the rules and get rid of Chrome and stick with what they recommend (IE or Firefox) in the hopes that some of these bugs I've got will go away. I'm tired of experimenting with browsers, ISPs, and various pieces of software. I just want it to all to end. None of them are flawless, they all have bugs (create more frustration) in my life. I figure I'll just pick from the ones they recommend, then work out the bugs from there.

To answer your question...AT&T says Chrome isn't on their list of approved pieces of software.
Ok...fine.

Sorry for rambling.  :oops:
I'm just pissed.

Bob

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 04:44:47 PM »
Saying Chrome isn't able to be used on a network is like saying only Dasani and Aquafina water can be used in PVC pipes... and Sam's Choice cannot. 

As you have already witnessed, the instructions you have been given prove the source invalid.  I take it this is the only option for you?  No FIOS? No cable company?  I know Time Warner and Comcast are no bowl of cherries but I generally get good service from TWC.  I looked into satellite and that is NOT an option for me.. I'd just do dial-up or get rid of computers completely if I had to go that route.

Sounds like a change is in order... if possible.  Sorry about the frustration regardless.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 06:55:36 PM »
Interesting about the Chrome and water comparison. Not sure how that all works, but the AT&T site specifically says which are acceptable and which are not. Chrome isn't listed as approved/supported.
The friendly personnel (idiots) on the phone at tech support (that get paid $7/hour and know nothing) have been more than willing to offer their (useless) help. Granted some of what they had to say (was complete bullshit) wasn't in line with what I thought was correct regarding computers and the internet. However, we've reached a common ground (either I shut up or they shut me off), meaning that due to my distance from the "DSL booster thing", being 22,000 feet and they only support service up to and no further than 16,000 feet, I should expect an occasional (often) "glitch" and be thankful that I've been able to upgrade from the dial-up connection that I've had for the past 15 years. They're unaware why I've been granted service in the first place (they're willing to take my $140/month check for internet, phone, sat TV) so as was mentioned, I should expect an intermittent "bug". However, none of the issues I'm having, have anything to do with the distance I am from the "thing". They can't seem to understand that (my problem isn't on their flowchart and are unable to think for themselves as they've not been properly trained to problem solve in areas that pertain to their job) so I'm on my own for "bug repair". These little issues I've listed here are browser specific, not distance specific.

Due to my distance, FIOS, U-Verse, Charter Pipeline is not available. The only other options I have are satellite, dial up, or cel. I've not heard of anyone impressed with sat.
My buddy brought his laptop with cel based connection and it sucked worse than mine did. I shouldn't need to brag of the virtues of dial-up to anybody that's had it.
So....This is what I've got to work with. To keep the 'bugs' to a minimum, I'd like to chose among the pieces of software that are approved by AT&T which are IE8 and Firefox. If I could work out the couple bugs, I think I can deal with the other issues that are due to my extreme distance from the "thing" that gives me DSL.

Sorry for the bitterness. I think that Mr. Subliminal came out for a choice word there.??  :lol:

Bob

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 07:15:08 PM »
Bob, you're a big boy, I can tell you've been around long enough to know that anything with the letters ATT on it is absolute dogshit,  including products and advice. They are a hollow shell of evil pretending to be a conglomerate of hostile takeovers. They literally are the bottom of the barrel in every category of business they participate. Bellsouth was one of the best ISPs and babyBells in the country, so it is taking a little while to become completely corrupted by the ATT infection, but it will eventually happen. I hope FIOS is available to me by then.

Sounds like you have networking problems. Can you describe your network? DSL? What kind of modem? Does it maintain internet connection for all clients on your LAN or must your PC be on for internet access to other clients? How does your computer connect to the modem, by USB or by ethernet? Is it also a router? Read dslreports.com for advice about the best modem for your ATT region, and look for other people with same problems. Wireless problems may be fixed by changing your wireless network to a different channel. If you are on default ch6,  try top (11) or lowest(2?) that should help a lot. Fixed many of my problems with Sonos changing songs and volume when the phone rang. :lol:  Use DHCP for your connection to ATT, and to all your LAN clients. That will cure any DNS problems.  Make sure no static IPs in your LAN have dupes.

I like DSL because it's fast and relatively cheap and PRIVATE.  I don't want kiddie hackers sniffing my traffic.

shep

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 11:36:44 PM »
Rich's suggestions are all good ones but will probably make you even more crazy! (hours and hours spent in front of the screen) The latest Firefox is NOT buggy or clunky. Usually (but I'm not sure of this with Chrome) when you start it for the first time it will ask you if you want it to "remember" all your favorites etc. Problems like you are experiencing can also be due to bad connections like:
the bird that made a nest in a junction box on the pole (this happened to us) The length of the wire is irrelevant and total bullshit. They are jerking your chain on that one. Modems, internal or external, can sometimes have intermittent faults. Change it? Computer problems suck big time. I feel for you. It can be very salutary to take an old computer and throw boulders at it and then drive your pick up over it and then pour gas on it and set it a-lite and then plow it into the back forty.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 11:39:34 PM by shep »

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 07:04:11 AM »
Rich, I think Shep said it right. Most of your suggestions would probably put me in my grave.  :rofl:
Actually, I *think* I've got all the big stuff fixed. My most recent attempt at a repair (giving the router/modem a fixed address instead of automatically finding one) has eliminated the DNS erros completely.

I think I drug my own thread off topic with my bitching.  :lol:
The main things I'd like to know, are if IE8 has the automatic spell checker and what the problem is with displaying pictures on Firefox. If either one of those gets fixed, I'll use that piece of software and delete the other two.

Thanks guys!
Bob

bacobits

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 07:36:19 AM »
Bob, 2 things I can't stand:
When my stereo sounds like shit.
When my computer runs like shit.
I sympathize.

Look here about that Image viewing problem.
http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-newsearch.php?locale=en-US&where=all&style_mode=inproduct&q=Load+Images+automatically&sa=

You can also uninstall Firefox and reinstall. BUT, you have to remove EVERYTHING from the previous install
or it will load all the same preferences you had and the problem will still be there if it a setting which I thnk it is. There are uninstall instructions on Firefoxs site. Save your bookmarks too.

I have used Firefox exclusively for a long time and have not had too much go wrong with it. Most of the time if it something stupid it's a setting somewhere.

There are add-ons and free spellcheckers. I have used Spell Catcher Plus for a long time. But this one is not free.

Without fail I always do my computer over at least once a year. More, if problems arise and they do.
It usually takes a weekend for me to  get it back to exactly where I had it.

Den

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 10:45:35 AM »
I tried IE8, and liked it except for compatibility. Carl told me about the compatibility mode which would have fixed all the problems I had with IE8, but I already had it uninstalled by then.  Otherwise IE8 was pretty impressive. It rates slowest of all modern browsers in speed tests, but with recent dual core processors you might not notice.  It is an automatic upgrade available in Microsoft Update now, and it is easy to roll back if you don't like it. It does not have spell checking but there are free plugins to add spell check to IE8.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2339710,00.asp

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 11:23:17 AM »
Excellent. "IE7Pro" is just the app I was looking for. Thanks man.
Once again you've proved your coolness.  8)
I'm slowly working the bugs out, but it looks like I'll stick with IE8. There are a couple weird ones, but they're tolerable (for now).
Great stuff.  :D

Bob

Offline Bob in St. Louis

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 11:46:56 AM »
Five minutes after downloading it, I get the blue screen of death.  :roll:  :duh

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 11:53:36 AM »
 #-o

It's not nice to fool Mother Microsoft

Use System Restore to recover!

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 12:13:52 PM »
not helpful to your situation, but just a point of clarification... if you can call it that....

No matter what anyone may tell you, Safari/Google Chrome are nowhere near the same thing under the hood as IE and Firefox.  That browser code base is *very* different and simply does not support some Microsoft specific .NET things.  There's a very good reason that everywhere I look those browsers are not listed as supported.  Also, there are some bugs in the Safari/Chrome browser code that need to be addressed to ease the headache for folks totally unrelated to the issue already pointed out.  Some recursive URL calls that end up in infinite loops and crash the app. 

Just sayin'....

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 12:45:47 PM »
So that's why it's so fast, nothin in there! It is a SET browser. Flaws yes... but the simplicity, the purity, the elegance, speed, "lit from within."  :rofl:
No crashes yet, but thanks for the heads up Shane. I still run IE7 for apps that need more depth, like banking, etc.

I don't even know if Chrime is officially released or still "beta." I guess the lawyers have to determine when it's ready. Every time I type it comes out Chrime, I usually correct it, but I will leave it from now on after Shane's new perspective.  :lol: