Author Topic: Footers  (Read 11170 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Footers
« on: October 06, 2017, 08:29:38 AM »
  We have all tried some. report your findings of footers used. Liking these VEM Footers from Nasotec. Have used Pon-tunes, Alum Blocks, wood blocks, brass cones, Sound Fusion and Herbies. All mad a difference. Some VG, some OK some NFG.
I think what is overlooked the most is what is used under the footers. I try to use similar but dissimilar materials. Some footers drain, some isolate. Using the appropriate footer is not by chance. Isolate TT, Isolate transport. Drain amp, Preamp, Tuner, Tape deck and phonostage. Speakers ????
What is your favorite and why ???

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Re: Footers
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:30:23 AM »
I am using Daruma bearing clones with tungsten carbide balls under my DAC, preamp,power amp,OPPO 103D,
and HAL MS-2 Music Server. For some reason IKEA cross grained laminated bamboo cutting boards underneath all components with footers on top, sound much better than maple cutting boards in the same application. The bamboo cutting boards made a big improvement across the "board" in my system. Very strange but I wouldn't run the system without them now.
 Now the bad news, I am assured by a very reliable source that Still Points footers are REALLY good, but I can't afford them. Oh well you can't have everything.
This image from the web is representative of my Daruma clones.

Scotty

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 11:36:27 AM »
Has anyone used squash ball?  If yes, what type?

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 01:10:05 PM »
I tried squash balls and inner tubes back in the late 90s and at that time I had better results from ModSquad Tip Toes. However if I need isolation from environmental vibration for my turntable I will take squash balls, a good sized 1.5inch thick butcher block and a forstner bit and duplicate a gingko cloud. The ginkgo cloud will actually effectively isolate a turntable from structure borne vibration.
A vibraplane isolation table is a little more effective but for most of us it is unobtainium due its cost.
 Being that footers are unpredictable in their sonic effects on our systems you just have to try things until you find something that works for you.
Scotty

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 07:26:42 AM »
Yes tried squash balls, tennis balls, blue handballs in every configuration imaginable. To date no ball configuration was as affective as these Nasotec VEM footers.
Scotty the Nasotec IMHO are more affective than and way less expensive than Stillpoints. I agree about the Bamboo. Looking into the frames from Nasotec that go with the footers.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 01:08:58 PM »
Hey I heard that if you buy 4 Bitcoins and use them under your equipment feet the sound will forever keep changing as the value of the Bitcoins goes up and down.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 10:06:31 PM »
Hey I heard that if you buy 4 Bitcoins and use them under your equipment feet the sound will forever keep changing as the value of the Bitcoins goes up and down.

If I had enough spare cash laying around to buy 4 bitcoins at the current price I would be looking to upgrade a lot more than my footers.  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 07:35:12 AM »

Hoye !!

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 10:25:32 AM »
  Back to a serious conversation to date not even Stillpoints beat these VEM footers. Recently added SGR equipment Racks. The VEM footers NOW are even better. Highly recommended for servers, power supplies ALL tube gear and last but certainly not lest power conditioners.  www.sgrhifiracks.com

charles

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 06:07:22 PM »
Anyone try the IsoAcoustics OREA footers yet?    It seems there are 3 flavors - Bronze, Indigo & Bordeaux - to support different weights.  Price is right and I've been hearing some good things about them.    Check them out here: http://www.isoacoustics.com/orea-series/

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2019, 06:10:57 PM »
I am using Daruma bearing clones with tungsten carbide balls under my DAC, preamp,power amp,OPPO 103D,
and HAL MS-2 Music Server.
Scotty
Hi Scotty,

Where did you get these clones and how much? 

Thanks,

Paul

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »
Anyone try the IsoAcoustics OREA footers yet?    It seems there are 3 flavors - Bronze, Indigo & Bordeaux - to support different weights.  Price is right and I've been hearing some good things about them.    Check them out here: http://www.isoacoustics.com/orea-series/

Not yet, but I’m thinking about it as well as being interested in the ISO stands.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline dflee

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 06:41:43 AM »
I just picked up a couple dowels for the speakers.
Gonna try Steve's suggestion. Not sure if it will work
with a speaker that has front and rear active woofer but for $11.00 why not.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 12:25:02 PM »

Not yet, but I’m thinking about it as well as being interested in the ISO stands.

I have read very good reviews of the IsoAcoustics Gaia footers for speakers.    The OREAs for components seem like a great deal but I'm still looking for more feedback before I pop.    I've tried less expensive isolation devices before from the Vibrapods to spikes to BDR cones.   They all do something, but IMHO, the difference has been relatively marginal and not always for the better.   I'll give the OREAs a try if/when I find a seller that will give me 30 days to return.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 12:36:47 PM »
  The VEM  footers are $450 retail for [3]. For the money the Pon Tune footers from Arion at $190 set of [3] has the most bang for buck IMO. I use both. I use the VEM under power supplies and server. Use Pon Tunes everywhere else.

charles