Author Topic: best transports under 1000  (Read 14390 times)

biglou

best transports under 1000
« on: June 30, 2007, 12:41:31 PM »
reading the Altmann info has got me jazzed to get a transport and the Attraction DAC. i just sold my Lector 7TL and have a little cash. any suggestions on good transports new or used? i tend to prefer equipment made by actual people.... thanks in advance. cheers

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: best transports under 1000
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 06:48:41 PM »
Hi Lou
I'm in same boat. Thinking about it hard!

If you're not already using networked music player, it is something to consider. They are pretty handy. Squeezebox, Sonos, Rocku, Dlink, Olive, there are a lot of them now, each with + and -.

Basically anything can be used as transport into the Altmann if you get the JISCO option which "filters out" the jitter from any transport/cable scenario, even cheap consumer grade stuff, although that may not last very long. With a true high end transport like Oracle CD1000 we did not hear any difference switching JISCO on and off. Some people have reported improvement when using JISCO with transports of lesser pedigree. I didn't here much change with JISCO engaged while using SB as transport either, but it has relatively low jitter anyway.

Rich

biglou

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 10:29:38 PM »
thanks. out of curiosity, is there any consensus as to what is the best music streaming device? squeezebox, sonos, apple? are the olives the best for storage and play?

i have a mac and would go the streaming option if i was pretty sure the tech was good. i already have a HD soley for music with 500+GB, but its all in apple lossless... i saw black sand still has squeezeboxes and am strongly considering one.

thank you

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 07:13:45 AM »
The SqueezeBox route has a ton of support in the Audiophile community.  There are lots of mods available that IMO make it an absolute no brainer for anyone spending under $5k for a digital source. 

In addition, I just got my Nokia 770 set up with the new Slim Server skin.  The last little bit if wishing for a better interface just went bye-bye.

I have 2 SB's now and am ordering 2 more.  2 of them will be going to Wayne at Boulder for mods. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 09:37:26 AM »
Sonically, I don't THINK the transport makes a huge difference, certainly not to the extent of the DAC.  Just sound-wise I'd be looking for a features/aesthetics/pricing/reliability analysis rather than one of sonics.

Where clock integration is possible, the transport could be more important. 

Caviat - I haven't done a lot of transport comparisons even though I have several.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 02:04:26 PM »
I never thought the transport 'should' make much of a difference but it always did for me.  Different sound cards make a difference as well.  It's been too long since I compared them to give any meaningful recommendations, though... sorry.   I will say I was VERY surprised at the output of a cheap Pioneer DVD player.... I still have it and will compare it to the PC when I get my new DAC.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 02:17:48 PM »
Although I am not the biggest fan of the Squeezebox because I think the interface is only "OK", the modded unit with custom power supply is a tremendous value for the money. I have been very pleasantly surprised how good it is. My mods were done by Anthony at Aberdeen, but the consensus is that Wayne's mods at Bolder are outstanding. I am curious about the new SB 4 (whenever that might be available). Also  may then experiment with a modded SB 4 and deluxe PS from Wayne.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

biglou

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 04:40:15 PM »
i've decided to get a SB3 from Black Sand. the Bolder mods seem popular, but damn they are expensive. down the road i'd like to add on an Altmann but thats going to have to wait for more $$$. cheers

Double Ugly

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 08:35:58 PM »
i've decided to get a SB3 from Black Sand. the Bolder mods seem popular, but damn they are expensive. down the road i'd like to add on an Altmann but thats going to have to wait for more $$$. cheers

IMO, that's a good move, BL.  I haven't heard a SB with John's mods, but he's a straight shooter and a great all-around guy.  John wouldn't sell a modified product unless the modifications result in improved sonics.

Get your feet wet with John's SB3, but don't rule out Bolder Cable if you decide you like the convenience and flexibility.  Wayne's mods may be expensive, but they're extensive, and they're worth the price of admission.  Just ask anyone who owns - or has even heard - a fully modified Bolder SB with an Ultimate power supply.  I consider it a perfect example of getting what you pay for.

And if you're like the vast majority who've made the leap, you'll discover there's no need for a separate DAC.  Spend the money on Bolder mods instead.

Just a note from the 'For What It's Worth' department... :wink:

-Jim

Disclaimer - I no longer own a Bolder Ultimate power supply or SB modified by Bolder Cable, nor do I have any affiliation with the company other than as a former (and possibly future) customer.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 12:37:52 PM »
reading the Altmann info has got me jazzed to get a transport and the Attraction DAC. i just sold my Lector 7TL and have a little cash. any suggestions on good transports new or used? i tend to prefer equipment made by actual people.... thanks in advance. cheers

I use a Lector CD 7TL as well. Why did you sell it? It has given me my best digital to date. Just curious.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 11:21:49 AM »
A Mac Book laptop at $1100. Sorry $1000 over. Very impressive indeed, even the stock D/A. Check this out .

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.