Author Topic: Oppo BDP-105 First Impressions  (Read 18503 times)

jsaliga

Re: Oppo BDP-105 First Impressions
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 08:10:06 AM »
I listened to three different CDs that were ripped to FLAC and played through the Teac UD-501 using JRiver Media Center 18.

Beethoven Symphony No. 5, Otto Klemperer & the Philmarmonia Orchestra, EMI

Gene Ammons' All Stars - The Big Sound, Original Jazz Classics

Santana - Abraxas, Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab

I picked these recordings for two reasons.  The first is that I know them very well and know that these particular CDs are well mastered.  Secondly, I have them all on vintage vinyl.  I have the Klemperer Beethoven recording on a minty original Columbia/SAX UK pressing that is hard to come by these days.

I won't go so far as to say these CDs sound as good as the vinyl originals, but I will say that I have no complaints whatsoever about the Teac's performance with good recordings that are well mastered at 16bit/44.1KHz.

--Jerome

jsaliga

Re: Oppo BDP-105 First Impressions
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 11:15:55 AM »
One other thing I would like to add.  DSD is not a panacea.

In my opinion the greatest determinant of sound quality is the source recording, mixing, and mastering.  If that is bang on then 16/44.1 will probably suffice and it will sound good.

The reason I chase after high res content is because CD quality audio has become the format that is optimized to sound best on a portable device.  So I really try to stay away from 16/44.1.  Doing so doesn't guarantee that I won't end up with a stinker, but I think it improves my odds -- even if just a little.

I bought the following from Channel Classics yesterday, in DSD64.

Frankly, I was unimpressed by the Ivan Fischer/Pieter Wispelwey.  Setting the performance aside for a minute, the quality of the recording did not inspire me with confidence.  It sounded almost sterile, and some instruments were very hard to hear.  Quite frankly, on sound alone (performance too) the RCA Living Stereo 1957 recording on Redbook CD of the Munch/Piatigorsky performance of the same work simply trounced it.

But then again I tend to live in the past where my musical preferences are concerned.  I don't think the modern digital recording age has been very kind to music, and I find that most recordings made between 1950 and 1970 have fuller, richer, more 3 dimensional sound than contemporary recordings made today.  So I am not without my biases.

Most of my hi res digital content is from older recordings made during the analog era and transcoded from analog tape or vinyl.

That said, if you do end up with a DSD compatible DAC then you should check out 2L music's web site if you are a classical music fan.  They do offer a number of free samples that you can download and try.  I was very impressed by a 10 minute snippet of a Mozart Violin Concerto and I most likely will buy that one.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:18:49 AM by jsaliga »