Author Topic: Oppo BDP-105 First Impressions  (Read 18504 times)

jsaliga

Oppo BDP-105 First Impressions
« on: April 22, 2013, 12:53:59 PM »
Those of you who know me might recall that I decided to abandon digital audio a little over a year ago.  I sold my DAC, unloaded my transport, and sold just about every CD boxed set that had any collector value.  There were a number of reasons I made that decision, but it mostly came down to the fact that 95% of the time when I wanted to listen to music I was reaching for a vinyl record.

Why did I come back to digital?  A fair question, to be sure.  One thing I did not consider was the sizable collection of classical music recordings that I bought from High Definition Tape Transfers.  Most of these are transcriptions of rare recordings from 4-track stereo tape to 24bit/192KHz PCM digital audio.  I also have a number of classical recordings from HD Tracks in 24bit/176.4KHz digital audio.  At the time I decided to go exclusively with vinyl I was on an extended jazz listening run, and I have jazz covered exceptionally well on vintage 50s and 60s pressings and many audiophile 180g and 200g reissues.  However, now that I am back to listening to classical music I found that I missed not having access to the HDTT and HD Tracks high resolution digital recordings that I own.

So what I wanted was a transport and DAC rolled into one device.  The Oppo BDP-105 sure seemed to have it all: a transport, a DAC with TOSLINK and Coaxial digital inputs, a network music player that could stream digital audio from a PC or connect to internet music services such as Pandora and Rhapsody.  It struck me as a veritable Swiss Army knife of digital audio.  The price is $1,199, and not unreasonable given all that it does.

So I placed an order for the BDP-105 with Audio Advisor and three days later FedEx was at my door with it.  The player is well packaged in stiff foam.  It includes a Wireless N USB adapter (that will also support wireless G networks), a remote control, a USB extender, a power cord, and a HDMI cable.

I purchased an inexpensive Samsung 24" 1080p TV to use with the Oppo.  If you are going to use the media player features you will need a display for it.  If you only want to use optical media and the outboard DAC features then you don't need a monitor.  The menu system is elegantly designed from a navigation perspective.  In terms of user interface, there are some pros and cons.  On the plus side I found it very easy to use and set up with internet music services.  Within minutes I was using Pandora and Rhapsody.

On the down side I found the UI rather inadequate for streaming files from my PC.  There are a number of issues.  For one, using Windows DLNA the Oppo was only able to see files that were encoded with lossy codecs over wireless.  So I was only able to see and playback mp3 and m4a files.  Since all of my classical music is encoded with FLAC this would not do for me.  The Oppo also has 4 USB ports (two on the front and two on the rear panel).  I first tested it with a USB thumb drive with some FLAC files loaded on it, and that worked great.  So I attached a Western Digital external 1TB hard disk with a lot of music on it and sure enough I was able to browse the file system and play everything on it.  But this revealed another glaring weakness of the Oppo as a network media player.  The Oppo has to load the directory of every folder you open when browsing.  So you will be staring at the hourglass for a few seconds every time you traverse a directory.  This is not really that big a deal.  The show stopper is that the Oppo is horrendously slow when you are scrolling through a directory that has a lot of folders in it.  My drive had 890 folders, and it took me almost 4 minutes to scroll from the top to the bottom.  In my view the Oppo is not very good as a network media player, and if you are buying with these features in mind then you should probably look elsewhere.

The Oppo can also be used as an outboard DAC, and this is mainly what I had in mind when I bought it.  My plan was to use it primarily as an optical disc player (most of my hires content is on DVD-A and SACD media) and secondarily as an outboard DAC.  One of the BDP-105's biggest selling points is that it uses the ESS Sabre32 DAC chip (in fact it has a pair of them).  This was the main reason I bought it.  So I plugged my M2-Tech HiFace USB to SPDIF media converter into my PC and then made a connection to the coaxial digital input of the Oppo BDP-105.  After that I fired up J-River Media Center on my PC and was back in business.  In retrospect it probably wasn't fair
to expect J-River Media Center like features from the integrated media player in the Oppo BDP-105.  But it would have been great had Oppo Digital licensed the technology from JRiver.  The software doesn't haVe a large footprint and could have been embedded in the Oppo firmware.  Even if it added $50 to the price of the deck it would have been well worth it given Media Center's terrific feature set.

I'm sure the burning question on the minds of most is "How does it sound?"  In short, it sounds plenty good enough.  It reminds me a lot of the Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC that I used to own.  This is probably no accident since the EE Mini Max DAC also uses the Sabre32 chip.  Perhaps if I had them both here and compared them side by side I might notice some very minor differences, but I doubt it.  The sound is certainly more than good enough to satisfy me with the highest quality digital content that I have.  Here are the titles I have done some critical listening with so far:

24bit/176.4KHz from HD Tracks

24bit/192KHz from High Definition Tape Transfers

24bit/192KHz HDAD from Classic Records

I have not tried the Oppo BDP-105 with any Blu-Ray audio discs.

I did have occasion to try the headphone jack with my Sennheiser HD-598 phones.  Volume is controled from the remote.  I was able to get nice sound levels out of my cans with the volume set to 80 percent.  But I have no plans to use the headphone jack on the Oppo with phones since I have a Woo Audio 2 that is much better.

The reasons to buy the Oppo BPD-105 are:

• Excellent two channel sound quality from SACD and DVD-A sources
  • Works superbly as an outboard DAC.  Up to 24bit/192KHz with USB
  • Works well with internet music services

Some reasons to steer clear depending on your needs:

• Network Media Player function has issues with lossless formats
  • Some issues connecting to SMB servers (though DLNA is ok)
  • Unacceptably slow browsing with locally attached USB hard disks
  • Outboard DAC function is limited to 24bit/96KHz with TOSLINK and Coaxial

That last item turned out to be the only real disappointment that I have had with the BDP-105.  I read a number of reviews of this player before buying and not one of them mentioned this limitation.  After searching the manual, it does state that TOSLINK and Coaxial inputs are limited to 24bit/96KHz...but the USB input will support up to 24bit/192KHz.  Unfortunately I don't have a USB cable long enough so I will need to order one.

I'll also add that if you have a big buget and are looking for a statement piece then this isn't it.  The Oppo BDP-105 is a no-frills univeral player that has excellent performance.  But that really is all it is.  The front panel display is spartan.  You won't see any fancy DVD-A or SACD logos light up with the bit depth and sampling rate of your source.  The build quality is good, but it is not massively overbuilt and is not likely to impress people who think players like the Denon DVD-5910CI are barely adequate (the thing is built like a tank if you have never seen one). Oppo Digital put the product development costs into the areas that matter the most, video and sound quality. They left the overengineering and stratospheric pricing to the boutique brands out there.  Oppo has produced a high quality player for not a crazy amount of money.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 03:57:10 PM by jsaliga »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Oppo BDP-105 First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 08:17:55 AM »
Nice write Jerome. Another reason to buy is OPPO customer service. My buddy recently sent back the player as it was not reading discs. Oppo discovered Green paint flakes caused the laser to malfunction . Mt buddy painted the edge of his Cd's with green Marker. Well it came off during play and destroyed the laser.
   Oppo replaced the laser and no charge. It was customer abuse yet they still came through. Kudos to Oppo.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

jsaliga

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 06:19:36 AM »
Well, this player did not last very long.  I did a firmware update this morning and it failed.  So now the player is dead.

This tells me that the Oppo does not do protected firmware updates in Nvram.  This is really a poor design as far as firmware security goes.

--Jerome

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 06:38:05 AM »
Well, this player did not last very long.  I did a firmware update this morning and it failed.  So now the player is dead.

This tells me that the Oppo does not do protected firmware updates in Nvram.  This is really a poor design as far as firmware security goes.

--Jerome

Sorry to hear that Jerome.  :(
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

jsaliga

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 06:46:32 AM »
Yeah, me too.  There is really no excuse for this.  Every device I own with firmware (including my router, firewall, motherboard, and smartphone) all have enough Nvram to hold two copies of the firmware.  After an update is applied successfully a pointer is changed in Nvram to bootstrap with the new firmware after a restart.  This protects the device from a bad update. 

The Oppo obviously doesn't do this so any time you update firmware there is a risk that you will trash your player.  If a $100 device can support firmware protection then a $1,200 device should too.

I will be on the phone with Oppo Digital tomorrow.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 07:26:41 AM »
Since I am within the 30 day return window I am seriously thinking about sending it back for a refund.  I like the player but this firmware issue is a serious design flaw and I don't know if I want to deal with it.

I might be better off with a good outboard DAC and inexpensive transport.

--Jerome

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 07:35:21 AM »
  If ya do send it back consider a Tranquility DAC using your computer as the source.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

jsaliga

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 08:09:49 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Charles, but $1,500 for a DAC is too rich for my blood, especially for one that is limited to one single-ended RCA output.

I'm thinking about the Eastern Electric Tube DAC + for $1,100 or the Schiit Gungnir for $750.  I used to own a Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC and liked it a lot.  On the other hand, the Schiit Gungnir has balanced outputs and two single-ended RCA outputs.  So I can use it with two amps at the same time.  I will be adding a Woo Audio WA6SE tube headphone amp soon so having the extra output connectivity on the Schiit is a big plus.

Still kicking it around at this point and I am in no rush.  I have another week to decide whether or not I will return the Oppo for a refund.  I'm leaning strongly in that direction and will probably have my mind made up by tomorrow.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:29:29 AM by jsaliga »

jsaliga

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 10:22:39 AM »
I've decided to send the Oppo back for a refund.  If I send it back for replacement then I will have to pay shipping to return it, and then pay again for shipping of the replacement.  So I'll be out about $60 or so.  It will be cheaper for me to return it for a refund.

And there is no getting around the fact that I consider the lack of firmware protection a deal breaker.  So I could get a replacement and be right back where I am the very first time I try to update the firmware.  That's unacceptable.

Not sure yet which DAC I will buy but I am leaning strongly towards the Schiit Gungnir.

--Jerome

DaveC

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 01:06:51 PM »
I have a Schiit Bifrost and just upgraded it to "uber" status, which uses the same analog output section as the Gungnir. It is seriously impressive... and I haven't upgraded to the new v2 USB board yet either, which Jason (co-owner of Schiit) says is a major upgrade as well. The upgradeability of the Schiit is a definite plus... it sounds like I just got a new upgraded DAC for a $70 PCB board and 10 minutes of my time installing it (which was super easy). I'd definitely give the Gungnir a try.

jsaliga

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 02:12:39 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Dave.  I'm fairly certain I am going to buy the Schiit Gungnir.  It gets consistently great reviews and the connectivity options are really hard to beat.  I found only one other DAC for less than $1,000 that has more than one set of single-ended RCA outputs.

--Jerome

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 06:37:48 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion Charles, but $1,500 for a DAC is too rich for my blood, especially for one that is limited to one single-ended RCA output.

I'm thinking about the Eastern Electric Tube DAC + for $1,100 or the Schiit Gungnir for $750.  I used to own a Eastern Electric Mini Max DAC and liked it a lot.  On the other hand, the Schiit Gungnir has balanced outputs and two single-ended RCA outputs.  So I can use it with two amps at the same time.  I will be adding a Woo Audio WA6SE tube headphone amp soon so having the extra output connectivity on the Schiit is a big plus.

Still kicking it around at this point and I am in no rush.  I have another week to decide whether or not I will return the Oppo for a refund.  I'm leaning strongly in that direction and will probably have my mind made up by tomorrow.

--Jerome

Had the EE DAC as well. A VG DAC but no Tranquility . In direct comparison the EE DAC was lean and Hi Fi sounding.
    Budget is budget. Maybe a used Metrum Octave instead.

charles

jsaliga

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 11:21:14 AM »
Thanks Charles, but I have already ordered a Schiit Gungnir DAC.  It is well thought of and has two sets of single-ended RCA outputs and one set of balanced outputs, all for $850.  It was an easy decision to make.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 06:03:12 AM »
I hope it doesn't have an issue with seeing the flac files, that would be a deal breaker for me.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

jsaliga

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 06:44:20 AM »
I'm not sure if you are replying to me, Gene.  If so, the Schiit Gungnir is a DAC, not a media player.  I will be using a PC as my source with J-River Media Center.  FLAC encoded files will not be an issue with this setup.

--Jerome