Author Topic: ModWright Transporter  (Read 24701 times)

Bigfish8

Re: ModWright Transporter
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2008, 05:57:40 PM »
Modwright Transporter vs. Bolder SB3. This is a comparo I have been interested in and I'm surprised it has not been discussed more. I'll be very curious to hear your thoughts.

There is a guy by that goes by the name of Zybar over on AC.  He had a loaded to the gills Bolder S3 with Bolder Niverna Power Supply (totals out in the same price range as the ModWright Transporter).  He (Zybar) now owns a ModWright Transporter because he needed the XLR Output from the Transporter.  I sent him a PM last week asking for his comments of the loaded S3 versus the ModWright Transporter.  He (Zybar) sent a reply that they were very close in producing sound quality but he needed the XLR connection of the Transporter.  Zybar (George) has a reputation of having a very good ear so I would would gather that the sound is very very close.  However, again Zybar is comparing a very highly modified S3 that would compare very closely to the ModWright Transporter in cost.

I own a Bolder Modified S3 with the basic analog mods with a Bolder modded Elpac power supply.  I was running the S3 through an unmodified Burson Buffer.  As I am happy with the ModWright Transporter I have not done an A&B comparision to the S3. 

The advantage of going the route of modding a Squeezebox or Duet over the Transporter is that the initial cost is much lower and you can upgrade as money is available.  Personally, I believe the advantage of the Transporter is it is a one box source and you can flavor the music with rolling different tubes.  It was a difficult decision for me to make the Transporter purchase but I could not make myself part with $1500.00 for a Niverna Power Supply.  After the power supply I would need an aftermarket PC and a Bolder DC cable for the power supply. Just couldn't do it!

Ken
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 06:09:10 AM by Bigfish8 »

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2008, 09:31:04 PM »
I have known George for a few years now and he is good guy and in my experience, he tells it like it is.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 10:20:13 AM »
The 6N1P to get are the ones with the missle/rocket printed on the boxes, I believe they are early 60's Russian military vintage.
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2008, 02:18:05 PM »
Rocket logo tubes!  Those are a great bargain.  I buy them from upscaleaudio.com.  Good stuff. :)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2008, 05:04:01 PM »
Slightly off topic....

Do they have those in 12AU or 12AT7's?

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 06:26:23 PM »
Slightly off topic....

Do they have those in 12AU or 12AT7's?

Bryan

If you're talking about the rocket logos.. I think they only have those in 6922.. Good 'all arounders' is the best way I can describe them.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2008, 07:57:34 PM »
I don't believe they come in 12AU7 or 12AT7.
I'm not a big fan of the 12AT7 but the two that I would consider would be the Sylvania Goldbrand goldpin 6201 or the Mullard 6201 goldpin.. They were my favorites when used.
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2008, 08:05:24 PM »
Thanks guys.

I was just looking for a potential 'cheaper' decent tube.  I run all 50's vintage RCA Blackplates right now.  Have tried Mulard, JJ's, Tele's, etc. and these fit my needs the best. 

Anyway, carry on with the original topic.  Don't want to get this too far off track.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley