Author Topic: Salk HT2-TL: RAAL vs LCY ribbons  (Read 12376 times)

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
Salk HT2-TL: RAAL vs LCY ribbons
« on: December 04, 2010, 06:54:42 AM »
Greetings AN members
 I wanted to write a mini review on my new additions, the Salk HT2-TL speakers with the RAAL ribbon tweeter. Over the next couple days I will be posting some notes and comparisons between these two versions.

First some disclosure: Response Audio is a retail audio dealer. We are not a dealer for Salk Sound as they are a direct sales manufacturer. The Salk speakers are at Response Audio under a program we came up with earlier this year where we would allow smaller manufacturers to use our showroom to get more exposure and allow interested parties in the area to audition their products.

As many already know, I have had the version with the LCY ribbon here for some time and vey much enjoyed their visit. I recently received the new version with the RAAL ribbon and have been listening to them for over a week now. This is the same pair that was at RMAF so they were already broken in.

To be continued........
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Kinger

Re: Salk HT2-TL: RAAL vs LCY ribbons
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 07:33:50 AM »
I'm curious about this comparison.  Any thoughts you can share?

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 12:17:04 PM »
That LCY ribbon shouldn't come close to the RAAL.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:00:22 PM »
Sorry for the lack of post everyone. Been crazy buzy.

I still have to get some final words together now that I have spent quite a both of time with the RAAL version.

The HT2-TL with the LCY is a nice sounding speaker but once to hear the RAAL, there really is no turning back. In my opinion, the RAAL is the best ribbon on the market.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Selah Audio

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 08:05:06 AM »
Sorry for the lack of post everyone. Been crazy buzy.

I still have to get some final words together now that I have spent quite a both of time with the RAAL version.

The HT2-TL with the LCY is a nice sounding speaker but once to hear the RAAL, there really is no turning back. In my opinion, the RAAL is the best ribbon on the market.
I agree on the RAAL! LCY has had some quality control problems so that has been an issue as well.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 04:42:10 PM »
   Better than the Raven ? Have you heard Ravens ? Just curious no disagreement as the Raven has been our favorite . The RAAL is about $100 less expensive. A pleasant surprise. The Raven point source about $630. Love the Raven line source at $2100 fr, response 500 to 40,000 Hz oh my.

charles
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:51:52 PM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 04:58:44 PM »
These are the ribbons I want to hear sometime...

http://fibonaccitechnologies.com/

80-30kHz. Just add subs.

But RAALs are the best ribbons I have heard so far. I like the 140mm model.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 06:00:02 PM »
    A steal at $ 14,000. Love to hear them. So you perfer the RAAL as well eh. did not you own ravens ?
BTW where is my powerball ticket. Someone in NY won.

chjarles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »
Never owned ribbons, unless you count the Foster mylar planars in my old Legacys.  I've heard several of Selah's designs using RAALs, and RAALs own systems at RMAF. Good stuff, but never heard Raven, though I've read about them. They look awesome too.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 08:41:06 PM »
These are the ribbons I want to hear sometime...

http://fibonaccitechnologies.com/
80-30kHz. Just add subs.

Funny you should mention these. I am making arrangements to go meet with the designer for some potential future..... aa

After hanging out with Alex from RAAL at RMAF (both him and his girl are good people), and using his new dipole ribbon in our room at the show, I have a whole new appreciation for what ribbons han bring to the table.

Pictured below:Some very close friends that were made at the show.
From left: Alex from RAAL, Pete Sanzone (director of marketing for Purity Audio Design), Art Smuck, Hugh from Angel City Audio, Salaja (spelling?) Alex's beautiful other half. I was the one taking the picture.

Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »
Never owned ribbons, unless you count the Foster mylar planars in my old Legacys.  I've heard several of Selah's designs using RAALs, and RAALs own systems at RMAF. Good stuff, but never heard Raven, though I've read about them. They look awesome too.

My mistake thought you did for some reason.  :duh

charles

Selah Audio

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 03:10:35 PM »
  Better than the Raven ? Have you heard Ravens ? Just curious no disagreement as the Raven has been our favorite . The RAAL is about $100 less expensive. A pleasant surprise. The Raven point source about $630. Love the Raven line source at $2100 fr, response 500 to 40,000 Hz oh my.

charles

The Raven drivers are nice but I like the RAAL's better. I actually tested the LS version from Raven not long ago.