Author Topic: Favourite 6922?  (Read 11207 times)

Mike L

Favourite 6922?
« on: February 23, 2008, 07:37:04 AM »
What is your favourite 6922 or equivalent input tube, and how it sounds in your system relative to others?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Favourite 6922?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 11:16:40 AM »
Hey, I'd be interested in the outcome here, as well.

I've got several pieces of ARC gear using 6922's...and I haven't tried any tube rolling, yet.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 12:05:04 PM »
I have used Sovtek and 1970s vintage matsushita (Panasonic) in my Cary integrated. There was a nice but subtle difference there. Steve Sammet (SAS) had JJs in his 11A preamp, which sound lovely. But I preferred the matsushitas in there too. I can't remember what I liked, the JJs were excellent too. I got matsushitas from Vintage Tube Services.
Rich

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2008, 05:55:24 PM »
Well for 6922 or 6DJ8 there are many flavors. Richest by order;  RCA, Mullard, Tungsol, Amperex, Toshiba, Chelmer, Siemans, Tele.

My advice with tube rolling is either use the same brand throughout or compliment each choice. For example don;t mix Sieman and Tele. Use a RCA or Mullard in front or after to synergize the sound to your liking.
    As far as a favorite it depends on the application. you need to be very carefull with NOS tubes as their character was designated for the dark caps of the day as well as resistors. So what was considerd a great tube back in the day it might not fit with some of the components today.
     If I were to choose the 6DJ8 to take to a desert island it would be the MULLARD 188cc or a 1950s  Amperex pinched waist. Both rare and expensive which sucks.
     As far as modern day 6922 it would be JJ or Chelmer, no Sovteks ever Blah! much to bright. I know my older Audio Research DR 250 used them. Even though the amp was voiced with Sovtek the Amperex and Toshiba solved the problem.

charles
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 06:54:02 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Bunky

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 03:37:31 AM »
Amperex 7308-Siemens E88CC-Ei Elite 6922- Pearl cryovalve JJ 6922
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Mike L

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 06:18:31 AM »
I picked up some Tungsram PCC88's because of a review of my amps that I read.  I have about 45 hours on them and I am not impressed.  They are dead quiet and clean but very mechanical.  They sucked the emotion out of my music.

Associated tubes:

Tungsol 5687 (driver)
Output EH 6CA7 X 4
  ?            6922 X 2

per monoblock

I had some EH 6922 but thought I would try the Tungsram because of the review.  I thought of maybe trying the gold pin version of the EH's.

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Mike

tanchiro58

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 12:47:11 PM »
Mike,

I love the 6922's sound but also hate its microphonics (more or less) that bother me all the times. Therefore, my friend suggested to use the PCC189s. Most audiophiles said that they would not consider as substitution for 6922 because PCC189 has 7.3V heat voltage whereas 6.3V in 6922s but they are dead quiet and musical in my Promitheus Apollo preamp even better than the top seeds Cca 6922 and much cheaper. They are variable like Valvo, Telefunken, Mullard, Brimar or Siemens. Try them out in your system. Good luck.

Tan

ipy

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 05:34:19 PM »
FYI, in case you did not come across this review of 6922/6DJ8s..

http://www.hktubeaudio.homestead.com/files/6DJ8.html

Luckily? for me, tube rolling isn't required to get the best out of the Herron VTSP-3 according to Keith Herron.  I 'm using the factory fitted or Standard EH 6922s.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 06:29:31 PM »
7308, nuf said :rofl:
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 05:42:27 AM »
I would not put alot of stock in these kinds of reviews. The design, voltages and currents, parts used makes all the difference.

What tube is good with one design is not so good with another design. Probably because they used that particular tube when designing, but then subbed a less expensive tube when selling.

Cheers.

Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 06:45:35 AM »
I've yet to hear an EH tube sound 'really good' as in 'NOS-good' in any design I've tried.  They're not 'bad'... they're just not special or worthy of eloquent review prose in my opinion.
I've heard RCA's sound OK to great.. and a NOS blackplate RCA from the 50's is a different animal to a 70's RCA clear top... There are tons of RCA's and even more Amperex and Siemens... Knowing which ones are the 'special' ones is the key. 

I do agree that the older the better generally but some circuits do shine with some tubes... What's funny is most big manufacturers of tube preamps I've spoken to tell me that the type of tube shouldn't matter... their design is perfect and designed to work with the stock (cheap and adequate) tubes.  I've been told I'm wasting my time with NOS a couple of times.  What's refreshing is folks like Eastern Electric are coming around and encourage experimentation with tube choices. 

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 12:55:59 PM »
"I've yet to hear an EH tube sound 'really good' as in 'NOS-good' in any design I've tried."

>I also know some NOS that sound horrible as well. I look at and work with the individual tube. I am sure there are exceptions.

"They're not 'bad'... they're just not special or worthy of eloquent review prose in my opinion.
I've heard RCA's sound OK to great.. and a NOS blackplate RCA from the 50's is a different animal to a 70's RCA clear top... There are tons of RCA's and even more Amperex and Siemens... Knowing which ones are the 'special' ones is the key."

>Problem is depending upon the circuit, one brand can sound better than another. It would be easy to design a component in which one brand NOS would sound dreadful compared to another NOS or even a new tube. Also, one may be closer to reality, but sound worse, depending on the system one has purchased.

"I do agree that the older the better generally but some circuits do shine with some tubes... What's funny is most big manufacturers of tube preamps I've spoken to tell me that the type of tube shouldn't matter... their design is perfect and designed to work with the stock"

>From school buddies and experience, I bet some manufacturers employ objectivist engineers.

>Maybe the smaller company's "reference" rig does sound better with the stock tube? Who knows? A lot of times a system just does not match up to a product? It is really hard to say.

>They also simply "voice" their component (assuming it is a preamplifier), which says very little about the actual absolute accuracy of the component.

>Trying different tubes to get the closest to right sound or sound one prefers.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 02:48:31 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers