Author Topic: Feedback on Pavane/Psvane Reference Series Tubes?  (Read 16535 times)

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
Feedback on Pavane/Psvane Reference Series Tubes?
« on: October 23, 2010, 10:47:37 AM »
I am looking for some feedback from those who have tried these tubes available from Grant Fidelity. In particular the 12AU7 variation.

I would also be interested in some feedback on the Black Treasure KT88 and 6SN7 (CV181-Z) tubes. I have been working on a highly customized Single Ended KT88 amp and undecided what tubes I will feature in it.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Feedback on Pavane/Psvane Reference Series Tubes?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 10:58:46 AM »
I have heard bigfish's CV-181 compared to TungSol Round plate 6SN7, in Mapletree preamp, and also in Modwright TP. The Treasures were cleaner and more detailed. Tone was just as big but better all around.

The standard Shuguang 12AU7 was my fav in the EE minimax preamp, very clear clean crystaline treble, no other vintage or new tube could do that as well. I only wished for a little more bass authority. I too would like to hear the Pavanes.

Bigfish8

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 11:59:11 AM »
I would also be interested in some feedback on the Black Treasure KT88 and 6SN7 (CV181-Z) tubes.

Bill:

I and many others that owned a ModWright modified Transporter went through many signal tubes seeking the most detailed sound from the unit.  Many of us ended up with the Black Treasure CV181-Z as being preferred over the Tung-Sol 6SN7 Round Plates which are considered to be one of the best 6SN7's ever made.  No one that I am aware of had any issues with the quality of the Black Treasures.  Based on my experience I can recommend them as great sounding, high quality tubes.

Ken
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:42:00 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 07:55:29 PM »
richidoo, I am surprised to find someone that like standard Chinese 12XXX tubes. I have always likes the Shuguang 6SN7 tubes (compared to any current production piece) but personally found the 12 series tubes to be a bit brittle up top and lacking down below. Personal preference and system dependant I guess.

There is really not a current production 12AU7 that floats my  boat. Probably the only one I care to use is the JJ ECC802 Gold Pin.

I will have to try the Pavane 12AU7 in one of the Purity preamps and when I finish my custom single ended KT88 amp, will have to look at the Black Treasure KT88 and CV181.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 08:47:08 PM »
richidoo, I am surprised to find someone that like standard Chinese 12XXX tubes.

I know, Bill. Nobody believes me about the EE tubes, not even Bill O'Connell who sells them!  :D   But even with extremely revealling Manley Snappers and Usher beryllium midrange and tweeter the Shuguang standard $8 stock tubes had the clearest and most accurate treble of any I tried in minimax pre. I am assuming they are Shuguang, but all I know is they are EE branded Chinese 12au7, innards looked like Shuguang from pictures I saw on the web. But you know, the Usher Be20 were an odd speaker with picky upper drivers, so it could be that that particular tube rubbed them the right way, while it might sound worse anywhere else...  :-({|=

The gold pin JJ 12AT7s sounded really great, but they were intermittently very noisy. After having bad experiences with several types of JJs, I have come to believe that JJ tubes are inherently unreliable.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 06:48:15 PM »
Well, thanks to a customer coming up today and bringing me a couple pair of tubes to play with, I was able to finally hear a pair of Pavane 12AU7 tubes along with a pair of TJ Full Music 12AU7's.

I did not have a lot of time to do a true thorough evaluation but do have some thoughts. Please note that these are only quick impressions and a more timely evaluation will be performed at a later date.

First the system. The tubes were rotated in the pre-production Purity One linestage, amplifier was an Audio Analogue 100 watt dual mono solid state. Source - modified Jolida JD100 with Svetlana 12AX7 tubes. Speakers were Salk HT2-TL (non-RAAL ribbon). Interconnect and speaker cables were all Clarity Labs Harvest II with VH Audio AIRSINE and Flavor 4 power cords.

The Pavane tubes were very clean and detailed. In comparison with I have been using, they seemed to be a bit recessed in the upper midrange, lower treble. All the information was there but not as apparent. The lower regions were also clean and detailed but a bit thinner sounding. Again in comparison to my tubes.

The TJ Full Music tubes were similar in regard to the detail but with a slightly fuller sound. The upper midrange, lower treble appeared to be slightly recessed but not as much as the Pavane. This could be a perception due to more body so I cannot say for sure.

Between these two tubes, I did like them both very much when it came to the level of detail they provided but with limited time to listen and really set the system up for a proper, time consuming evaluation, I will have to wait for another day to give a thorough report.

What I can say right now is that I was impressed enough to want to grab a pair of each for further listening.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 03:59:45 AM »
Wow, thanks Bill. That's cool. Hey, do you know if the tubes were fully broken in?   Looking forward to more in depth comments when you get there. Thanks!
Rich

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 09:21:39 PM »
Bill and Rich,  thanks for your feedback.  I've been meaning to take the plunge on some pavanes ( 12ax7 ) for my tube phono pre and some black treasure or shuguang 181 tubes for the 6sn7's in my amps....  just need some more time,    Create audio and sophia have my interest also.

Rob S.
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 03:57:39 AM »
Rich. Good point. I don't know for sure how much time was on each set of tubes but I will find out. I am hoping to find a current production tubes that can compare with some NOS tubes but I don't know if it is possible.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline richidoo

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 05:55:10 AM »
I am hoping to find a current production tubes that can compare with some NOS tubes but I don't know if it is possible.

Aren't we all Bill, aren't we all.......    [-o<
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 06:10:47 AM »
Rich. Good point. I don't know for sure how much time was on each set of tubes but I will find out. I am hoping to find a current production tubes that can compare with some NOS tubes but I don't know if it is possible.

Good luck with the search. I was pricing RCA Black Plates that I liked in Shadowlight's pre, most sites are out of stock, those that have them want an 'arm and a leg' for them.

Yikes!  :shock:
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Response Audio
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 11:37:32 AM »
 Greetings gents.
 I just found out that these tubes had less than 100 hours on them so I would say any critical comments would be premature.

I sent an email to Create about thier tubes (received a replay within minutes) but never really got a proper answer on pricing for OEM should I decide to use them with the Purity linestages.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 12:31:45 PM »
OK thanks Bill