Author Topic: Electro-Harmonix 6h30PI vs. Sovtek: Any difference? Also, where to buy?  (Read 9223 times)

Phil

Anyone using the Electro-Harmonix version and is it different sounding than the Sovtek or just a more expensive variety? I think the tube in my source is going south and I see there are several purchase options now (the DR "supertube" being the third option).

I see a difference between the cost of the basic version of the tube as offered by the Tube Store and the Tube Depot.  Any experience with either of these two vendors?  I've used the Tube Store but it is the more expensive of the two.  We aren't talking big money overall but an extra 10 bucks on top of a $20 tube seems unnecessary.

Thanks.   Happy holidays all.

Phil
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 01:49:25 PM by Phil »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Electro-Harmonix 6h30PI vs. Sovtek: Any difference? Also, where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 03:02:19 PM »
I've had good service from tubedepot.com. They ship fast and answer emails quickly. Great if you already know what you want. Sovtek is not known for refinement, better for reliability (think guitar amps on the road.) I would choose the EH between the two. Still not the ultimate in refinement, but good for the money and reliable.

Jim McShane has some vintage 6H30 listed on his website, he'll know the skinny on the current production tubes.
http://pages.prodigy.net/jimmcshane/tubes.htm

It always pays to ask Bill O'Connell too. His collection never ceases to amaze.

Since you only need one tube, and used in a source component, I would try to get the good stuff. Bigfish is your man; he has been swapping 6H30s recently, I think he settled on DR. Whatever brand Audio Research uses in all their gear sounds fine too.

Phil

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 12:51:58 PM »
Thanks, Rich.  Great info. 

Phil

Mike L

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 08:23:08 PM »
Aren't most using the so-called Sovtek "supertube"?

Thanks,
Mike

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 06:52:38 AM »
Mike, you're right
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/tubes/messages/21/212261.html

but that is for volume mfgs that need 10,000 tubes/year, there's no other option. DR might still sound noticably better as replacement tube. But it's always circuit dependent, AR and other mfgs may have optimized the circuits for the Sovtek.

Mike L

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 04:27:01 PM »
Now that you mention DR it just reminded me of something.  I previously have owned both the Consonance ref 2.2 version 1 and the mkII version.  I had swapped the supertube for a DR version in ref 2.2 because it was better.  I remember a/b ing the first version with the DR tube in it against the MKII and the MKII was so much better.  I then acquired the MKII and installed the DR tube in it thinking it would bring it to another level yet and it was it a let down....however I was happy with the player anyway.  Comes back to circuit design as they were very different players once you opened them up.

Thanks,
Mike