Author Topic: WHY and What are you Listening to?  (Read 43053 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: WHY and What are you Listening to?
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2020, 07:44:29 PM »
Jackson Berkey did another classical album for American Gramaphone called Sunken Cathedral. If you like Ballade, you should check that one out as well.

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2020, 07:51:49 PM »
Yep, I've got it.  You're right, it's another good one. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2020, 06:19:58 AM »
This joyous cover of Yes' Close to The Edge, done by Richie Castellano and friends.  They are not pros, just interested fans and pretty talented musicians.  Yes themselves, in all of the various incarnations of the band, have not sounded this good in many, many years.  Love this.

https://youtu.be/aG-x1VbHRFg

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2020, 08:22:57 PM »
Junior Mance Trio at the Village Vanguard on Jazzland Records.  Jazzland was a side label for Riverside. 
This is a 1985 Original Jazz Classics (OJC) pressing.  One of the nice attributes of the OJC pressings is that they had access to all the mastertapes of Riverside, Prestige, and Contemporary... so their reissues are close to the source and not some BS cd knockoff. 

Junior Mance is one of the pianist that played with everyone in the '50s, and developed a busy, bluesy style... a love child of Fats Waller and Oscar Peterson.  Just got my copy in the mail.  This a big sounding trio of high quality jazz. 

Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2020, 09:51:48 AM »
Here's another guy who played with everyone... Rocky Boyd, saxophonist.  He logged time with Johnny Griffin, Philly Jo Jones, Pete la Roca, Max Roach... even toured with Miles for part of a year. 
Here he is with Kenny Dorham, Ron Carter, Pete la Roca, and Walter Bishop in his only album as leader.  On Jazz Time JT0001- yep Jazz Times' first lp. 
Found a 1961 pressing at the local record store for $15.  My buddy that runs the store has finally started looking up values of unknown jazz on discogs, whereas for the last decade he simply put $2 on everything other than Miles, Getz, Coltrane, or Bird.  Fortunately, he just looks at average price and doesn't check by record #, so first pressings go for the same price as repressings. 
This is worth looking up if you are a fan of K. Dorham.

Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2021, 11:42:48 PM »
"Una Furtiva Lagrima" (A Furtive Tear), an aria from Donizetti's opera, 'The Elixir of Love'. Explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Una_furtiva_lagrima

I am comparing the Italian tenors Caruso, Bergonzi, and Pavarotti's renditions on Spotify. While some argue that Caruso's or Bergonzi's are some of the best versions due to depth of interpretation, there is really nothing like the effortless delivery (IMO) that Pavarotti brings to it. His runs at the end showcase his technical prowess by singing the last notes pianissimo to fortissimo seemingly in one breathe!

There are so many more versions mentioned here: https://medicine-opera.com/2010/12/una-furtiva-lagrima-a-bakers-dozen/ for opera fanatics.

Offline malloy

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2021, 09:04:46 PM »
The Sisters of Mercy Floodland album.

I've been a Sisters fan since I heard 'Walk Away', but this second album is the one that got me, hook, line and sinker.

With dark, deep symbolism, esoteric lyrics, a pounding guitar and drum machine-based sound, and of course, Eldritch's deep-baritone voice that sounded like nothing I've heard before or since. This is the album that made me a fan of gothic-rock music.

I have this on original LP and reissued CD.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2021, 09:32:52 PM »
"Una Furtiva Lagrima" (A Furtive Tear), an aria from Donizetti's opera, 'The Elixir of Love'. Explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Una_furtiva_lagrima

I am comparing the Italian tenors Caruso, Bergonzi, and Pavarotti's renditions on Spotify. While some argue that Caruso's or Bergonzi's are some of the best versions due to depth of interpretation, there is really nothing like the effortless delivery (IMO) that Pavarotti brings to it. His runs at the end showcase his technical prowess by singing the last notes pianissimo to fortissimo seemingly in one breathe!

There are so many more versions mentioned here: https://medicine-opera.com/2010/12/una-furtiva-lagrima-a-bakers-dozen/ for opera fanatics.

I’m quite inexperienced in this area, but Pavarotti is, by far, my favorite. My mother spoke of Caruso and I’ve listened to him. But I had not heard of Bergonzi. Might be time to search Tidal and Qobuz :thumb:
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2021, 09:48:02 PM »
Ella and Basie: A Perfect Match

This is a live recording from Montreaux in 1979 with members of the Count Basie Orchestra backing Ella. Critics say she had begun to fade in the late 70s, but I think she was still superb.

This contains my favorite live interpretation of 'Round Midnight. So much feeling in this version.

I bought two versions of the disc. One, a reissue from Fantasy/Pablo Records from 1987 (Universal 2006) and a 20Bit Remastered from the JVC Heritage Series (also from 2006).

I was lucky to find a sealed copy of both, one from a seller on Amazon in NC and the JVC one from a record store in Hong Kong. The cd from NC, arrived after 3 weeks today. The Hong Kong disc arrived after only 8 days!

The original CD on top is embarrassingly basic.  No liner notes, no back cover, and features a fuzzy front image.

The Japanese reissue is much better and looks like a mini LP version of the original Pablo LP album:

I created wav files of both and transferred them to my digital player.

As for the sound, the Japanese version sounds more dynamic. It is remastered louder, so I tried my best to level match the two with an SPL app on my phone. The original recording is fine, but the 20Bit version has more warmth, depth, dynamics, and detail - a more 'you are there', 'hearing closer into the live feed' feeling.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2021, 11:52:09 PM »
Ella and Basie: A Perfect Match

This is a live recording from Montreaux in 1979 with members of the Count Basie Orchestra backing Ella. Critics say she had begun to fade in the late 70s, but I think she was still superb.

This contains my favorite live interpretation of 'Round Midnight. So much feeling in this version.

I bought two versions of the disc. One, a reissue from Fantasy/Pablo Records from 1987 (Universal 2006) and a 20Bit Remastered from the JVC Heritage Series (also from 2006).

I was lucky to find a sealed copy of both, one from a seller on Amazon in NC and the JVC one from a record store in Hong Kong. The cd from NC, arrived after 3 weeks today. The Hong Kong disc arrived after only 8 days!

The original CD on top is embarrassingly basic.  No liner notes, no back cover, and features a fuzzy front image.

The Japanese reissue is much better and looks like a mini LP version of the original Pablo LP album:

I created wav files of both and transferred them to my digital player.

As for the sound, the Japanese version sounds more dynamic. It is remastered louder, so I tried my best to level match the two with an SPL app on my phone. The original recording is fine, but the 20Bit version has more warmth, depth, dynamics, and detail - a more 'you are there', 'hearing closer into the live feed' feeling.

Hi Paul,
Thanks for posting. Glad you found those different versions, even as far away as HK! I found this album on Roon, both Tidal and Qobuz, and am listening right now! Sounds pretty good on the new addition, AVA...more to follow soon on that  :lol:
Hope you and your dear wife are doing well down SD way.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2021, 05:05:41 PM »

Hi Paul,
Thanks for posting. Glad you found those different versions, even as far away as HK! I found this album on Roon, both Tidal and Qobuz, and am listening right now! Sounds pretty good on the new addition, AVA...more to follow soon on that  :lol:
Nick

Hi Nick,

I am overjoyed that I found these sealed copies! I actually found about this recording through the YouTube video version and then on MP3 through Spotify.  Ooohh you have a new Van Alstine amp?!!

We are doing fine here, thanks for asking!  :thumb:

I'm trying to find more of these JVC reissues. Let's see if the HK seller has more of them. His store is actually a physical record store over in the business district over there. https://www.yelp.com/biz/time-traveler-%E9%A6%99%E6%B8%AF

From what I experienced in HK, they are very serious about audio and records. There was an 8-storey building I visited there with nothing but hi-fi stores in the early 2000s...

Paul

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2021, 01:12:26 AM »

Hi Paul,
Nick

Hi Nick,

I am overjoyed that I found these sealed copies! I actually found about this recording through the YouTube video version and then on MP3 through Spotify.  Ooohh you have a new Van Alstine amp?!!

We are doing fine here, thanks for asking!  :thumb:

I'm trying to find more of these JVC reissues. Let's see if the HK seller has more of them. His store is actually a physical record store over in the business district over there. https://www.yelp.com/biz/time-traveler-%E9%A6%99%E6%B8%AF

From what I experienced in HK, they are very serious about audio and records. There was an 8-storey building I visited there with nothing but hi-fi stores in the early 2000s...

Paul

Hi Paul,
Yes, indeed, there are some serious audiophiles there. I sold one of my 2 cartridges to a HK buyer. I have heard good things about the JVC reissues.
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline malloy

« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2021, 07:38:44 PM »

Megadeth. So Far, So Good...So What!  on Spotify.  :lol:

Thrash metal from back in the 80s.  Good after a long, trying day at work!

I still remember a Dave Mustaine interview in Circus magazine from the 80s where he said something like, "I don't write songs from the heart. You're writing love songs, if you're doing that!" Mustaine sings not from the heart, but from the gut. Just a few seconds of listening to his songs and you know what I mean. He half growls, half screeches.

A quote from a critic written in Wikipedia says ,"...So Far, So Good... So What! displays music performed at "volumes approaching the threshold of pain."

Apocalyptic themes, blazing fast guitar riffs and solos, double-bass pedal grooves, all played very loudly.

Not typical audiophile fare, but probably a great workout for your subwoofers. Very intense and scary indeed.

Paul

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2021, 07:15:20 PM »
I needed to play something through a newly cleaned volume pot in a rigged up system on batteries on the kitchen table. So i grabbed my box set of Mercury Living Presence Collector's Edition II cd's, kinda reached in and pulled out #42... which turned out to be Paul Paray and the Detroit Sym. playing Ibert and Ravel. 
I'd kinda forgotten how full these old recording were.  The original masters from 1953 (yes, that's the right year) were recorded and mixed for mono with three mics, anticipating that they might do stereo in the future.  The woman in charge then was Wilma Cozart, and she was again in charge of producing the cd set decades later. 
Mercury isn't the be all end all for detail, but what a warm 25th row sound. Just perfect. Just sounds real. 

« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 09:04:52 PM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2021, 09:55:35 PM »
I needed to play something through a newly cleaned volume pot in a rigged up system on batteries on the kitchen table. So i grabbed my box set of Mercury Living Presence Collector's Edition II cd's, kinda reached in and pulled out #42... which turned out to be Paul Paray and the Detroit Sym. playing Ibert and Ravel. 
I'd kinda forgotten how full these old recording were.  The original masters from 1953 (yes, that's the right year) were recorded and mixed for mono with three mics, anticipating that they might do stereo in the future.  The woman in charge then was Wilma Cozart, and she was again in charge of producing the cd set decades later. 
Mercury isn't the be all end all for detail, but what a warm 25th row sound. Just perfect. Just sounds real. 

I did a Roon search and couldn’t find that exact album. Was able, though, to find Paul Paray and the Detroit Symphony playing Ravel on another label.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS