Author Topic: Biwire Options  (Read 8557 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Biwire Options
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 12:49:26 PM »
have to agree with Tom on this one. Take a look at various impedance graphs and see where the impeadance is lowest. It may or may not be the woofer/midrange. (It is usually not the tweeter).
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2015, 12:52:22 PM »
Current flow will take the easiest path and that path will be a woofer load.

You can't make that statement without know the design of the speaker. speaker has an eight ohm woofer and a 4 ohm tweeter, assuming the crossover does  not add any substanial resistance the path of least resistance will be the tweeter circuit. And even this is very simplistic, because it is not a give that the imeodancce of either branch will be constant across the audio frequencies.

That said I have never really understood why bi-wiring sounds different execpt maybe because you have two runs of cable to the speaker. This certainly helps even even doing a shotgun run of ading a second cable to speakers that only have one set of terminals.  I have never had the chnace to try a shoutgun run and a jumper, vs. a true bi-wire setup to a speaker with multple termionals. Has anyone out there ever given this a try?

The path of least resistance will always be the woofer in a speaker that is on and working. If not you'd fry your tweeter.  How well the speaker plays low and doesn't starve the tweeter of power will depend on how good the crossovers are in a passive speaker.

The reason why bi wiring works is the same IMO  When the circuit is closed the speaker starts the circuit. Nothing happens until the speaker says I need power. No power is sent from the amp until the circuit is complete through the load. So every speaker says go and amp sends power.  In bi wiring the tweeter has a cable right to the amp. It's not jumped from the woofer.  It has independent access to the amp.

The problem with bi wiring is the cable gauge gets smaller to the woofer.  You then have more cable impedance into the woofer where you didn't before.

I asked earlier if multiple strands were used like shot gunning. Read my earlier replies. The best method would be shotgun using the cross jumper method then shotgun into the woofer jump up to the tweeters and last bi wiring.

All imho

Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »
Even in a bi wire system there is some kind of xover network. If it is only a two way sytem it may just be a simple high pass filter, but the reason the tweeter does not get fried has nothing to do with paths of least resistance but but rather the fact that there is some kind of circuitry between the full range output of the amp and the intput terminals of the tweeter that is limiting the frequency content of the signal to only those high frequencies that the tweeter is designed to handle. Or in the alturnative you can use an active xover and bi amo the speaker, but then again the amp that is feeding the tweeter would be badwidth limit at the input. The function of a xover network is to act as a traffic cop and make sure that each frequency is directed to the driverr that is designed to reproduce it. The reason the bass notes don't fry the tweeter is because they never get to the tweeter.

Keep in mind, I am not saying that there are not sonic differences between the two wiring configuration, just that your speculation as to what causes those differences are not correct from an engineering perspective
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 09:42:22 AM »
Even in a bi wire system there is some kind of xover network. If it is only a two way sytem it may just be a simple high pass filter, but the reason the tweeter does not get fried has nothing to do with paths of least resistance but but rather the fact that there is some kind of circuitry between the full range output of the amp and the intput terminals of the tweeter that is limiting the frequency content of the signal to only those high frequencies that the tweeter is designed to handle. Or in the alturnative you can use an active xover and bi amo the speaker, but then again the amp that is feeding the tweeter would be badwidth limit at the input. The function of a xover network is to act as a traffic cop and make sure that each frequency is directed to the driverr that is designed to reproduce it. The reason the bass notes don't fry the tweeter is because they never get to the tweeter.

Keep in mind, I am not saying that there are not sonic differences between the two wiring configuration, just that your speculation as to what causes those differences are not correct from an engineering perspective
I am talking about current not voltage or the signal.  Current takes the easiest path. That is a well known trait of parallel circuits.  Current is divided while the voltage remains the same. Typically the tweeter is made to look bigger than it is by the xover network.  By hooking up both leads to the bass and jumping to the tweeter xover (and it works fine) you've made the bass xover the dominating signal call for power.  There are changes sonically by putting a Pos lead to the tweeter and neg to the bass. 
There is nothing incorrect electrically about my opinion.  It's also maybe  the jumpers are sonically degrading to the tweeters. By crossing the leads you have effectively matched the timbre of the jumpers.  The tweeter and mids do not have to bear the sound of the jumpers alone.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 06:41:10 AM »
Exactly Werd. The benefit in tone is obvious. Guys try it already and then let us know your findings.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 09:46:05 AM »
  No one tried this ??? So much better.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.