Author Topic: Bi Wire Spks?  (Read 2994 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Bi Wire Spks?
« on: March 18, 2013, 06:36:21 AM »
OK so I have my homebrew lambda speakers and I wired them so they can be bi-wired/amped. The woofer operates up to 275hz. I have a Acoustat TNT 200 and a Aragon 4004 mkII. I was thinking I should probably put the Acoustat on the bottom end and the Aragon up top.

I've never bi-wired/amped a speaker like this (I've usually done active subwoofer biamp) Should there be an improvement in sound quality? Any recommendations before I start? Thanks.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Bi Wire Spks?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 06:50:56 AM »
  It depends jim. If your amp has plenty of juice no ned to Bi-amp. Try Bi - Wiring instead. If you try Bi-Amping an active crossover is best suited. Actually an active crossover in lieu of the passive speaker crossovers with Bi - Amping is preferred.
   Then there is vertical Bi- Amping. Never tried that method.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 07:14:20 AM »
Power not an issue. What does Biwiring do?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:30:50 AM »
Here's the theory, as I understand it.

Yes, both speakers are commonly connected at the amp end, so theoretically the amp is seeing the same load as if single wired. That's the biggest claim by naysayers that bi-wiring is poppycock.

However, in practice, one wire sees the tweeter load, which has less of a power need, but could have a fairly low impedance dip somewhere. The other wire sees the mid/woofer which has a much higher power need but probably a relatively benign impedance load. Certainly each wire is feeding different frequencies.

In my experience, with my Apogees, it is fairly well known that bi-wiring is rather essential, and produces rather easy to hear audible improvements. Other speakers may not benefit so much.

I have heard that single wiring speakers in the following manner has some benefit. Connect the + to the tweeter + terminal and the - to the woofer - terminal (or you could try visa versa), then jump to the other unconnected + and - terminals from there. Others have reported sonic benefits going this way rather than just connecting to either the tweeter + and - and jumping to the woofer, or visa versa.

Experimentation. Yeah it's a pain but otherwise you'll never know.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 08:14:42 AM »
I can't speak to your specific situation but I'll just share my experiences with Bi-amping with different amplifiers. I had a Sumo Nine powering the highs of a pair of KEF Q300 speakers and an Accuphase E-202 in amp only mode powering the bass drivers. My preamp was a mint Accuphase C200 that had 2 sets of preamp outputs in the rear. IC cabling to both amps was exactly the same and speaker cables used with both amps was exactly the same too. With everything all warmed up I played some CDs.

The sound was just off IMO. The sound seemed out of sync and imaging was off. Again this was just my experience I hope it is different with your set-up.

With Bi-amping with different amps I've read people using tube amps for the highs and solid state amps for the lows. Another thing with Bi-amping or bi-wiring is using different wires on the highs and lows. Thicker wires on the lows and thinner different material wires in the highs.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 08:14:58 AM »
 :shock: have to think about that. Don't want to blow up my amp  :duh :thumb: