Author Topic: I need long spikes  (Read 10784 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
I need long spikes
« on: February 13, 2011, 05:02:43 PM »
Anyone know where I can get long speaker spikes?
I need maybe 3 inches or more long.

I cut holes in my floor for my rack, put 4x4 pieces of wood under the floor to the cement floor below my listening room. Sounds crazy but it really was easy and should completely isolate my rack from the floor and couple it to the foundation floor in the basement.
Only problem was I lost an inch or two as the spike now has to pass thru the floor and subfloor.
I need maybe 3 or 4 inches to be safe and give me plenty of room for leveling.

Thanks

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 05:08:01 PM by Barry (NJ) »
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: I need long spikes
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 05:07:43 PM »
these are the longest I'm aware of...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Extended-Audio-Cones-Speaker-Spikes-Floor-Stands-/260670069956?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb1259cc4#ht_834wt_905
How heavy are they?  The spikes in the above link break easily, I've broken 2 with a 100lbs speaker. 

This guy may be able to do something for you: http://www.myesound.com/Points_n_pads.html 

eleazar

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 05:19:05 PM »
Don't laugh at my suggestion please, but could you use Hockey pucks first
when I wanted a little more height for my amp stand that is what I used.
The rubber is very hard and my cones didn't hurt them a bit.
What is the thread size could some thing be frabricated ??

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:27:44 PM »
I can make some for you from steel threaded rod on my lathe if you tell me what thread you need and total length. Figure 45 degree point on the tip.  

Another idea is to use steel rod risers of the same width as the holes in the floor, and same height as the floor holes. They will rest on top of the 4x4 but rise up through the hole to use your stock spikes.You could glue them to the 4x4 with epoxy.  I can make aluminum risers, but not steel. Any local machine shop can spit those out for you. I can send you link for metal supplier.

If you use a spike touching the 4x4 directly you need a steel plate between them to prevent the spike from penetrating into the 4x4.

Grandprix audio makes long stainless spikes that would probably work, but they are part of their rack system. Don't think they sell them separately, but worth an ask.
Rich

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 05:54:01 PM »
Thanks guys for the replies.
All good ideas.
Rich if you can make 4 inch spikes that would be great!
I will get the thread size tomorrow and of course compensate you.
Since the turnatble has become my main source I want a rack that is as isolated as possible.
Putting this table on a rack attached to a wall is not practicle so I need solidity!

I have already placed 2x4's under some of the stringers to help prevent the flex a wood floor has in it.
Foot falls become something to think about when you use a TT.
My old 1925 Tudor had a much more rigid floor than my 1967 SugarMaple ranch :duh

They just don't build them like they used too.
I miss that house................
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 06:35:26 PM »
I have engineered trusses in my floors. They are strong but they are not stiff. (twss)  16 foot span is too much for audio.

Was it mjosef that put the columns under his Von Schweikerts? It was a long time ago, but iirc he said it made a big difference in vinyl footfalls and bass solidity.

My floor moves a little bit with bass, and record skips with dancing, so I will put some braces under the speakers eventually too. I have dirt crawlspace under them with about 4 foot clearance. Home depot sells mini steel lolly columns with threaded jack screws. I'll place it on top of a big concrete brick on the earth.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »
Rich I was looking at the lolly columns, they would probably be best and the easiest to install, but I used 6 pieces under my floor, the steel lolly's were 48.00 each at Home depot, so I decided on 6 pieces of 2x4 for about $20.
It provides a stiffness you can feel especially in the center of the floor.
My speakers are closer to theback of the room where there is more support.

I guess one could go crazy and do the same thing with the speakers, coupling them to the concrete floor below, but one better be sure that is where they want the speakers to stay.
I occasionally move the speakers this way and that to futz with them.

I once had a decoupling device for speakers that was made by Yamamura, it worked wonders! Spikes helped but not to the degree the decoupling worked.Spikes helped the bass, the decouplers helped the midrange and tweeter as well, it just cleaned things up a bit.

Unfortunately my speakers are very narrow so the decouping device made them unsteady and prone to easily knock over by kids and cats.

eleazar

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 06:47:37 PM »
Here's another thought, you could use a 4x4 vinyl post cut into 4 pieces just high enough
to protrude above the finished floor fill them with  concrete. Then you can use the spikes
that came with the rack. Might be safer ??

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 06:57:51 PM »
Mike, it's conceivable that you could put 500 pounds on these spikes, with a heavy table, sandbox, rack and amps,I think 1/4-20 soft steel like typical threaded rod could risk buckling with 3" unsupported length. I was looking for SS and high strength rod, then i thought of an easier way to strengthen the threaded rod. Run a bunch of nuts up the unused threads, to lock the rod to the rack and and stiffen it down to the point. Now you have a ~1/2" thick steel rod, plenty enough to prevent bending, and stop any resonance in the long narrow spikes. Thanks to eleazar for the warning about wimpyness of thin threaded rod. So tell me the thickness of the holes in the floor, and does your wife know about those holes? Good god man!   You really are ALL IN aren't you!  :thumb:

AcidJazz

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 08:23:13 PM »
Was it mjosef that put the columns under his Von Schweikerts? It was a long time ago, but iirc he said it made a big difference in vinyl footfalls and bass solidity.

Errrr...that was 'mfsoa'.

Mike, just bear in mind that the 2x4s will be doing its thing with regard to moisture content with the changing seasonal humidity.  :thumb:

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 01:48:15 AM »
Rich,
Size of hole is 5/8 inch under the carpet, you can barely see the holes, and they are covered by the rack.
Rack weighs about 100 pounds and the turntable approaches 100 pounds as well. I had planned on putting a slab of granite on the bottom rack to help keep the weight low and not have so much weight at the top. so we are looking at maybe 300 plus pounds all together. My amp sits on the floor.

I like the stainless steel idea with the nuts for strength.
I was thinking it would be good for the spikes to sinki nto the wood, is this a bad idea?

And Martin the wood was an experiment, I guess as the seasons change I may experience some falling supports as some increase in size and others get loose. It was just a crazy idea I wanted to try, I just didn't want to spend $300 on lolly columns just in case it was a waste of time :duh
But you are right I did not think of the atmosphere changes.
Under the rack is pressure treeated 4x4 which should not deform too much, but what do I know.

mike

eleazar

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 04:37:55 AM »
Hi Mike
I must admit I was a little slow on the uptake on this. After signing off last night and getting a mental picture of what you were doing I now understand where you're going with this. A little slow is be kind to myself. I just wasn't seeing it at 1st. I now see how silly my suggestions were. This is why my system is in the basement but this a neat idea so I'll want to follow your progress. Martin is correct though, a 4x4 post can even move over it's length depending on humidity levels. I do like the of what your trying to do................Bill

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 07:42:48 AM »
   Mike,
            If you desire true isolation from the floor the 4x4s should go through the existing floor and extend up enough to install a plinth to desired height. Then put rack on top of that. The 4x4s in the basment should have cross bracing to hold the square created in place. Use acoustic caulking to seal the space between 4x4 and floor opening.
   Industrial spring vibration isolaters also can be used under the plinth. Then use normal spikes to the plinth. The plinth preferably wood [ Spruce or Maple] will act as a top plate from a rack. to hide the vibration isolator and 4x4 a metal collar can be used.
  We discussed this many moons ago, guess youforgot.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 08:09:56 AM »
Errrr...that was 'mfsoa'.

That's right, thanks Martin. Sorry Mike (sfoa)!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 08:11:51 AM by richidoo »