Author Topic: wire question  (Read 4440 times)

shep

wire question
« on: April 03, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »
This is kind of a dumb newbie question but what the hell :oops:
I'm using OCC solid core spkr wires, single runs. I have two sets, one twisted and one just hanging loose. I think there's a difference but I don't know what it is. Can someone clue me in as to what I'm supposed to be hearing in one or the other variation? They are the same lengths, about 8 feet, and unterminated. Thanks ps I just love these wires but I want to get the most out of them.

Black Sand Cable

Re: wire question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 03:28:11 PM »
Quote from: "shep"
This is kind of a dumb newbie question but what the hell :oops:
I'm using OCC solid core spkr wires, single runs. I have two sets, one twisted and one just hanging loose. I think there's a difference but I don't know what it is. Can someone clue me in as to what I'm supposed to be hearing in one or the other variation? They are the same lengths, about 8 feet, and unterminated. Thanks ps I just love these wires but I want to get the most out of them.

I won't comment on what you should or should not be hearing but the general idea behind winding is that you will lower the cable's inductance.

Some folks claim that by lowering the cable's inductance the high end of the spectrum is increased.

Hope that helps!   :D

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
wire question
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 05:42:13 PM »
Bonjour shep
I use the same wires, OCC copper single 12ga strands. Over here it's called Anticables, but I think it all comes from a plant in Japan where I think the whole single crystal copper thingie started. Basically super efficient transformer and motor windings wire. Great for audio.
Here's what my seller says about twisting, go to the bottom.
http://www.anticables.com/technical.html

I run mine without twisting, but never tried it the other way. I switch and swap them around so much, I think they are easier to handle not twisted. The capacitance and inductance are both about as low as any round copper conductor can go, so slight improvement by twisting might not be evident. I don't know the electrical math to tell you where the frequency would start to be affected.

It costs $10 a foot/pair over here with copper spades. How much over there?

I like it for the money. People keep telling me I need garden hose, I say show me... Of course I said that about power cords too until I heard the black sands silver, oolala!

I have the OCC ICs too. They are really weird but sound excellent, but not as cheap as the speaker wire. I think the Grovers are better though, for about the same price.
Rich

shep

wire question
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 11:34:05 PM »
Thanks.
Rich, I do know of anti-cables, from AC. He must have updated his site since I last visited because there's more info. Notably it was never stated that they were occ copper, which makes all the dif.! Someone stated that he was just pushing normal transformer wire and I took that as gospel. Mine comes from singapore and is cheaper but not enamelled, which may indeed make a dif., although I've never had the final word on this one way or another. There's an Australian site as well http://www.diyaudiostore.com. I'll try spacing them further apart. I don't hear a loss od treble untwisted. Maybe because of short lengths. Using solid core as speaker wire has been around for years but the creation of 7n's occ copper and thin dialectic took them to the top of the heap. I am willing to spend more serious money on IC's, the transfer of small signals is much more problematic, but for speakers this is the way to go I think.