Author Topic: Modded my Lector CD Player !! WOW  (Read 14916 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Modded my Lector CD Player !! WOW
« on: July 06, 2010, 06:39:12 PM »
My friend just installed a new clock, rectifier diodes and WBT nextgen copper rca's on my Lector Mk 1.

Wow :thumb:

What a nice difference. Black background, very clean and quiet, super analogue, super musical. The Lector didn't have much digital noise to begin with,it always had a fat analogue sound,  it just took  its true nature to come out even more. Very open and smooth and refined. The toe has no choice but to tap.
It seems to suck you in more, or rather draw you in and make you want to listen more
Clock was $ 45,,, WBT's $85, diodes $3 each  (12).
Very much worth it! Just took the nature of the cd player and enhanced it, didn't change it.

Sowter Dac transformers will be here in about 6 weeks...will let you know what that does!!

Pretty amazing the shitty level of components they put in even expensive players, I wish they would spend less on chassis and lights and bling and concentrate on design, implementation, and quality parts.
We would all be much happier!

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

lonewolfny42

Re: Modded my Lector CD Player !! WOW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 08:32:28 PM »
 8) Mike.....Bring it to the next Rave so we can have a listen .... :thumb:

shep

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 10:27:53 PM »
Another modder! way to go.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 02:46:55 AM »
CHRIS,
I plan on it.
I spoke to Charles about it and he said Yes :thumb:
would like to compare a stock Lector to a modded one, we can even use the same tubes to keep it consistent.

about modding:  I have been burned in the past with just parts swapping mods, finding an experienced  tech who has an ear makes all the difference in the world!

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 11:08:13 AM »
Looking foward to hearing it. What clock ? Manf ? There are clocks and then there are clocks.  What diodes ? Who did the work ? Linky ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:44:09 AM »
Hey, i the rave is going to fall on the 24th I can bring my Ayre for a little comparo.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 02:59:36 PM »
What clock you say?
Why a Chinese clock! it is rated at 1 ppm whatever that means :-P, don't know the brand but I could find out.
Diodes are Shottky.
Considering the clock in my Lector cost about $1.12 the $45.00 clock seems like a  BIG upgrade.
Of course there is the Super clock 4 and then the ULtra clock as well, but they are too much money for me, I had to save my money for transformers!!
Work was done by Karl, very intimate knowledge of all things digital and analogue
Very yummy sound, can't wait for the trannies :drool:

Mike

djdube525

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 06:37:45 PM »
Why a Chinese clock! it is rated at 1 ppm whatever that means :-P, don't know the brand but I could find out.

1ppm = 1 part per million...

The clock is rated to be accurate within 1 clock period per 1,000,000 clock periods.

Dave

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 06:55:49 PM »
is 1 ppm good?

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 07:51:59 PM »
Anytime someone puts a new clock in their player I have to wonder why they don't get a rubidium atomic clock. They don't cost that much see ebay link  http://cgi.ebay.com/FE-5650A-Rubidium-Atomic-Frequency-Standard-/170508481938?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Cellular_Optical_Television_Test_Equipment&hash=item27b318f592
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rubidium-FE-5650A-Rubidium-Frequency-Standard-10-MHz-/220330877404?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item334cbe61dc
This would seem to be the ultimate clock upgrade for CD players.
Scotty

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 12:09:52 PM »
is 1 ppm good?

1ppm is very low, that's SOTA right now. Even spec-obsessed Bryston claims "<1ppm jitter" for their CDP. ;)

Here you go Scotty: http://antelopeaudio.com/en/products_iso_10m.html 

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 02:45:31 PM »
Well if its good enough for them.... ;)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 07:16:15 AM »
Mike does your Tech have the wiring diagram for the Lector ? Does he have an email we can contact him at. BTW invite him to the July Rave we would like to meet him.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2010, 10:28:04 AM »
Charles,
He does not have a schematic for the Lector, he did not need one for what he was doing to my Lector. He will be at your rave. Maybe we will have the ATM 1 integrated for the Pipedreams? Unless you have your amps back.?

Mike

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 03:10:17 PM »
Damn son, those are pricey.  :duh

Anytime someone puts a new clock in their player I have to wonder why they don't get a rubidium atomic clock. They don't cost that much see ebay link  http://cgi.ebay.com/FE-5650A-Rubidium-Atomic-Frequency-Standard-/170508481938?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Cellular_Optical_Television_Test_Equipment&hash=item27b318f592
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rubidium-FE-5650A-Rubidium-Frequency-Standard-10-MHz-/220330877404?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item334cbe61dc
This would seem to be the ultimate clock upgrade for CD players.
Scotty
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."