Author Topic: U2 for Free  (Read 4606 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
U2 for Free
« on: September 09, 2014, 09:49:16 PM »
U2 giving away their new album for free because they can't make money selling it. They will use the giveaway as promotional stunt and look to the tour for the payoff. As payoff to Apple for hosting the downloads, the album will only be able to stream from iTunes, for now...

Ineligible for RIAA Gold and Platinum Record status, they say it doesn't matter anymore.

What does this mean for the record industry?

What does it say about the future of hi-res media?

Does U2 still matter? Will other acts follow suit if this works?

http://itunes.com

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: U2 for Free
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 07:00:05 AM »
I believe Radiohead, NIN or Coldplay did something like what U2 is doing on a smaller scale though. No ITunes exclusivity and no specific time limit etc. I think Radiohead's thing was just on their website. I also think this specifc model only works for big bands like U2. Maybe other bigger, more established bands will do something like them. I've seen smaller bands like OneEyedDoll employ something called BandCamp where you can pick the hi-rez download and name your price. Not exactly like U2's model.

Honestly U2 may be giving the album away for free but I believe they will get their money back and then some on tour sales. U2 giveth and they will taketh. They will get their money. I remember years ago after tour after the Vertigo tour U2 ticket prices were insane and this was before they hit the secondary market. Ticket prices were in the $250 range decent seats in NY or NJ. Anything close up was $600 or more. I liked their performance on the Vertigo Tour and wanted to see them again but not for $250+ per ticket.

As for the record industry I'm not sure on the impacts yet. I think U2's label must have been in on this kind of set-up. Bono is a good business man but to think up of something like this and figure out all the $$$ and cents would need serious help. It seems like for some artists you really don't need a record label behind you like you used to. Also the Gold and Platinum record sales just doesn't have the weight it used to I think in part due to music being so readily available for download, streaming etc. Before if a record went platinum one would think DAMN! they sold a lot of LPs they must be worth a look. Now I think if you mention if their song or LP went Platinum people would say huh?! They look at clicks on the Youtube page or downloads of certain songs now as a metric.

djdube525

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:38:46 AM »
I could be wrong, but I thought Trent Reznor/NIN and/or Radiohead still sold their content... they just went to the direct model via their websites.

So this seems like the next evolution of that model... Content becomes free... you pay for the "experience" which in theory would be more "unique".

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 03:18:56 PM »
A play for the Bethany Moda crowd? That's really where the money is, and the music passion, but those kids will never buy physical media of any kind. Their original fans from 1985 don't care about music anymore, so U2 needs to reinvent and market to kids like Aerosmith did.

It also puts them in the news, advertising their new release to existing fans in a novel way, by making news. I'm sure they have made a record since Joshua Tree, but I haven't heard about any until now.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 10:48:27 AM »
Hi djdube525

I was mixed up with the other bands. NIN had a regular version of their last record and the "audiophile" version. So they sold their music via regular media on their website. Also Radiohead had a special promotion with their last album through their website. They did nothing like what U2 is doing now.

Hi Professor

You are right about U2 IMO. I talked to some of their older fans and they said Bono from the 80s and the energy of U2 then is nothing like what they are now. They definitely gave up on them. I do like some of their later albums Achtung Baby, and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb. Some songs from All That You Can't Leave Behind I'm good with too. They do have a sound though that is VERY recognizable. One time I just heard the beginning part to one of their songs on the radio and guessed it was U2 and it was. I found it surprising as to how they didn't like the songs they wrote with producer Rick Rubin. That is surprising to me as he can get good music out of any group unless the band is Limp Bizkit.

This new promotion has me interested to see how it will work for U2. I don't think I'll be getting their new album. I lost interest in them years ago.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 05:55:10 AM »
Well, it seems U2 didn't give that album away - Apple paid big bucks.   See https://www.yahoo.com/tech/apple-spent-100-million-to-buy-you-that-u2-album-97303704569.html

What a strange world we live in these days (says the roaring dinosaur)

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 01:09:34 PM »
Nice find Mike!!

It seemed a little too good to be true for Apple, exclusive distribution of a U2 album. But it did succeed in putting the media on how cool Apple is (and U2) same week that iPhone 6 is introduced. Coincidence?

I also thought U2 was being so generous with their art, but now it smells a lot less like the band's idea.

I saw the ad on TV today so the "Apple is cool" campaign continues. Does Apple need to advertise their coolness?

djdube525

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 09:27:09 AM »
Responding to backlash from cranky users?

Apple has released a new  tool to remove U2 album.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 10:02:38 AM »

djdube525

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 05:12:27 PM »
(from article)

"THIS IS NOT IN RAINBOWS, AND SHOULD INSTEAD BE REMEMBERED PRIMARILY AS A MONUMENTAL BLUNDER BY THE TECH INDUSTRY."

I wish people would just come out and say what they mean...  :lol: