Author Topic: Classical Music as Repellant  (Read 4775 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Classical Music as Repellant
« on: November 21, 2013, 03:05:47 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/australia/10464764/McDonalds-restaurant-turns-to-opera-to-drive-out-loitering-teenagers.html

I learned this at audio trade shows. Put on some classical music and everyone leaves the room. The more modern and dissonant, the stronger the effect. This happens at my get-togethers also.

GT Audio Works

Re: Classical Music as Repellant
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 05:15:00 AM »
Playing heavy metal music at the mall will chase away the old folks !!

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 06:12:48 AM »
Celine Dion has the same effect  :D
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 08:12:20 AM »
       :duh  who knew? wasting all that good stuff on them.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 10:49:43 AM »
My theory for the reason why teens are turned away by the classical music is because their parents or older family members were pushing classical music on them for years. I remember in my teens my uncles and family kept pushing classical music. I got tired of the pushing and didn't want to hear it or the classical music for a long time. Now as I'm older I do listen to classical music when I want to relax.

I'm surprised that classical music makes people go away in audio gear shows though. I thought it would be the music of choice. I've read Zu Audio get criticized for playing odd ball music in their demos. I never would have thought classical music would make people leave a room. Whenever my family's audio systems were demoed classical music was played.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 03:18:42 PM »
I think you are only allowed to play Dianna Krall,keith don't go, and tin pan alley and some nora jones at shows., oh and hugh masakala? wooo wooo train song
anything else is strictly verboten!

Usually the music at shows sucks, IMO
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 04:36:08 PM »
And don't forget that Wynton Marsalis trumpet growling song with the female singer "Jazz, Jazz, Jazz, Jazz, Jazz..."   :roll: 

I'd like to crank up some Prokofiev Sonata for Two Violins. Watch them RUN FOR THE HILLS!

A guy at CAF put on a Tallis Scholars version of Allegri's Miserere. CD in Swap Meet/Triode/GT Audio room. I never thought I would hear that at an audio show, so I was giving him hi5s and really digging it with him, but the back row wanted their loud bluesy rock put back on and were hootin and hollerin to shut off that crap.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 06:30:38 PM »
I am going tomorrow somewhere for a GTG, loaded with Vivaldi Gloria, Bach Mass in B minor, and some other assorted cantatas worthy of goose bumps.

I am sure others will bring equally great music,
choose your friends wisely :thumb:
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 11:13:35 PM »
I think you are only allowed to play Dianna Krall,keith don't go, and tin pan alley and some nora jones at shows., oh and hugh masakala? wooo wooo train song
anything else is strictly verboten!

Usually the music at shows sucks, IMO
Krall, Lofgren,Vaughn,Jones, Masakala ..don't forget Eva Cassidy...all great stuff...but play em to death as they do at shows and they start to smell bad.
My biggest show peeve is Patti Barber, I remember one show..every time I passed by this room it was Café Blue. ARRRRGH !!!  People want to bring a "reference track" to a show..trouble is ,it all seems to be the same few cuts.
The enjoyment of music comes from discovery and diversity...its all good.
At CAF 2012 , 2 guys walk into my room and politely sit down and listen to whatever track I had playing..after a few minutes they start to walk out but stop and talk to each other..they come back in and present me with a CD to play. Hocus Pocus by Focus. It was awesome !!!
Blaring guitars, yodeling and flute...sure the recording was not audiophile approved , but it had the emotion that had us playing our air guitars in the room with the music cranked up to 11 !!

GT Audio Works

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 11:33:28 PM »
Speaking of music repellent.
At my room in the NYC 2012 audio show  I played a track by Cheryl Wheeler...it was a tongue in cheek left wing political shot at the right. Well this guy in the room who looked quite unhappy with my selection... up and left with a frown on his face..guess he didn't plan on contributing to the DNC anytime soon !!!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:41:58 PM by GT Audio Works »