Author Topic: How do I use deoxit?  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
How do I use deoxit?
« on: December 17, 2017, 06:04:55 AM »
So you brush it on. Then what?
How do I use it on tubesockets?

Thanks and Merry Christmas and Happy Chanukah
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: How do I use deoxit?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 08:00:55 AM »
Wet the hole, rub the contacts together a few times, move on with your life.

Optional:
Rinse after scrubbing
Let it dry
Repeat
use fancy brush
whatever lets you sleep at night

Don't apply Caig Gold to potentiometers or tube pins as it leaves a residue.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 03:46:54 PM »
Rich hit it.

Generallyspeaking, using the very least amount of whatever you are using as a contact enhancer need to be the rule.

On DeOxit products, they use a solvent/treatment that has a very high edge to edge affinity for the molecular structure.  What this means is that they want to spread out until the are about one molecule thick, The molecules were are talking about here are reasonably small and can still cause a problem because of migration to other surfaces.  That is one of the reasons I don't use them unless there is absolutely a proper application.  ProGold ends up gooey after a few months.  After using it the first time, I was disappointed in application.

For cleaning parts and pieces before treatment I use Perfprmance Plus R/C Car Cleaner.  Enviro friendly and very effective.  It comes in a 24oz (I think) spray can and lasts forever.

Now, for the adventurous and kinda dumb prople like me that tend to stretch the envelop of "goodness", I suggest 30% hydrogen peroxide as a very effective cleaner.  It is, however somewhat dangerous due to it being such a strong antagonist to organics... like your fingers, eyes, nose, Mr. Winkie.  It will burn exposed flesh quickly.

Uhm, how about this?  The MSDS -

https://rsc.aux.eng.ufl.edu/_files/msds/302.pdf

I'm just trying to get everything out in front of the fact that it is a tremendous electrical contact cleaner.  It'll strip the schmutz out of the base metal and pretty much leave everything else alone.  If concerned a rinse or swabbing with DeIONIZED water, not distilled, will get everything back into envirionmental balance and we won't go spinning off into the sun.  A small bottle will last years.

Another word of caution.  It will rest steel in a heartbeat if left unattended.

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 08:59:42 PM »
Dave,

What's your favourite source of DeIonized water? I always thought that distilled was best.

Paul

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 09:48:13 PM »
Dave,

What's your favourite source of DeIonized water? I always thought that distilled was best.

Paul
I usually get mine from Walgreens.  Another source is Wal-Mart.

DI water has no free electrons in the form of dirt, dust, pet hair, any things' dander, etc?  Removal is accomplished by a chemical reaction utilizing the molecular via molecular bonding and gets stuff squeeky clean