Author Topic: Name this rock  (Read 9895 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Name this rock
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:48:22 PM »
At the local town athletic park they have a half shell performance shed with grassy field in front. I was there for baseball practice and heard this awful racket. It was a rock band, but they wereplaying that kind of "Music" where it sounds like the microphone is jammed down his throat and he is trying to talk like the devil. There is no melody, no harmony, just loud and viscious, to scare away anyone not as evil as they are.

What is that shit called? Thrash? Death? I've heard the genre names before, but never put them with the sound. I think the lyrics were something like "I'm choking on this mic... Good i will finally die... Please boil my bones for dinner... and throw in some babies for flavor...."  I thank that's what he said, but I couldn't tell... Finally three cruisers showed up, we thought that would be the end of it, but they just stood off to the side to make sure nobody was converted to satanism. hehe

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Re: Name this rock
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 05:55:46 PM »
Besides the vocals was there the usual complement of screaming guitars and pounding drums.
My guess would a lame attempt at Death Metal rock,definitely not my cup of tea.
See the wiki for all of the Metal subgenres http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music
I 'm a old-school Black Sabbath fan.
Scotty

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:02:17 PM »
Yup, pounding drums, with serious jitter on bass drum.  It was all in good fun, I tried to listen and learn as much as possible. But I was too afraid to walk down there and have a look.

What are some popular commercial bands making that kind of music now?  Thanks for the link Scotty!

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 07:35:09 PM »
Sounds kinda like "Cookie Monster sings Black Sabbath" - right!?!?   :twisted:
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:46:36 PM »
Death Metal
Believe it or not I was into some of it a while back , Grip Inc, Clutch,Ministry, Life of Agony, System of a Down came out of that. Have no clue to the new stuff though.
I worked with a guy that loved that stuff, some of it is just plain aweful, but I found a few bands that actually had a few bars of musicality in them!
I am a classical music guy, and opera guy, so I approached it a little differently than most, I looked for the few measures that were good, there were not too many, but there were some moments.
The Ring cycle it ain't :rofl:but is was fun to let off steam :thumb:
Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 04:36:05 AM »

Sorry... this should've read Sounds kinda like "Cookie Monster with a sore throat, sings Black Sabbath"  :rofl:

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 06:26:19 AM »

Sorry... this should've read Sounds kinda like "Cookie Monster with a sore throat, sings Black Sabbath"  :rofl:

SN

My son's friend brought something over the other day that sounded more like "Cookie Monster singing Black Sabbath while having the dry heaves." (That CD was banned from the Mancave just as a matter of general principle.  :))
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 07:39:14 AM »
There's actually quite a bit of good heavy metal stuff out there that does not get into the "growling". For most of those the vocals are pretty good, but I am burnt out by the plethora of these groups with female lead vocals. Those all seem to sound the same to me.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 08:09:59 AM »
Carlman turned me onto Clutch, I like them a lot, much better than angry Cookie monster. I have a Clutch pandora station. But I admit, a half hour is my limit.

topround, first I recently found out you're a tube guy, always thought you were heavy iron SS man. Now I find you are classical guy, I guess we never talked about music or gear, just stupid audio politics...  :duh 

Bob, you nailed it, it's the growling that makes it so special. They are trying to sound like Beelzeboob himself.  This guy would talk like normal (nerdy) high school student introducing the songs, then his voice would transform into monster while he was still talking, heading into the song, then the band would start playing behind him. I think he would like to talk that way all the time. Especially to authority figures.    :D

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 11:55:41 AM »
I call the growly stuff death metal generically.. but I think there might be other music classified as "death metal" that's good and not all growly anger.. I don't know.

Clutch is melodic and musical.  The singer has very interesting messages and you can hear what he's saying most of the time.  Take a look at the lyrics sometime.. They had a whole album that was pirate themed. ;)

I sort-of liked industrial music in the early 90's.. Skinny Puppy was my favorite.  But again, it was more than just a shotgun blast cacauphony, it actually had individual, defined sounds.  It was rough and could get annoying but that stuff you're describing (that I call death metal) isn't music to me.  It's just a single emotion that lasts too long.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 12:04:36 PM »
Very insightful. Thanks

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 08:47:14 PM »

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 09:11:03 PM »
Zactly.  Make music or go home.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 02:49:40 AM »
Doesn't that growling sound painful.?
 It must hurt their throats :-P

And Rich I am a tube guy all the way, and classical music was my life for a long time but I like everything really, except rap and..death metal.

Currently using 8 Black Treasure el 34's in my amp. They are great, unfortunately they are not mine just a  loaner, 8 cost about $600, a little too much for me right now.

Heavy metal can be pure emotion, when in the mood for it and played loud, it can be fun rockin out in the car, but I can't imagine sitting in the chair in the main system listening to metal. It would be a waste of teflon caps :rofl:

mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 07:54:36 AM »
I got black treasure 300Bs, I know where you're coming from mike.

I like metal too, but the growling scares me, as intended I'm sure. I bet I'm twice as old as the oldest death singer in the country, maybe three times...   :roll:   Nice pic SN