Author Topic: ECM on sale at Amazon  (Read 3506 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: ECM on sale at Amazon
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:08:47 PM »
I don't know anything about ECM Touchstone recordings.... quality?

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »
Probably some of the best quality recordings that you can find come off of the ECM label. Manfred Eicher is a high quality producer. If you want to hear any of these before you buy them you can check them out on www.lala.com Also, if you ever find ANY vinyl on an ECM label you should just pick it up. It's of the same quality in terms of sound as Pablo records are (amazingly good).

The Touchstones are recordings that were previously not available on CD, or so I understand. Some really good things in there. I just ordered 4 with free shipping:

Extensions - Dave Holland
Animato - John Abercrombie
Gnu High - Kenny Wheeler
Batik - Ralph Towner
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »
Nice tip!  Will definitely check it out... :thumb:

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 12:58:09 PM »
Agreed...ECM tends to have outstanding sound quality.  The music overall is "jazz" in the sense that it is polyrhythmic and improvisational, but it tends towards watercolors in its style.  While not quite "smooth jazz"--the quasi-soulful musical pablum--ECM artists offer somewhat new-agey music.  The music is melodic and dreamy and the artists are always first rate.

Pat Metheny, if you are not familiar, has an unmistakable style that was first revealed in the late '70s.  He has spawned an entire genre of mimicking guitarists.  He recorded some of my personal favorite albums, specifically "American Garage" http://www.amazon.com/ECM-Touchstones-Pat-Metheny-Group/dp/B001BOX2YK/ref=br_lf_m_1000483921_1_20_ttl?ie=UTF8&s=music&pf_rd_p=1033751022&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_i=1000483921&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZNHKKF0Z7GEC05J5AC8 which is enthralling from the first note and "Still Life (Talking)" http://www.amazon.com/Still-Life-Talking-Metheny-Group/dp/B000CZ0Q5W/ref=pd_sim_m_9 which surprises me with each listen.

I have American Garage on vinyl and it's marvelously recorded.  I also have the original CD release of Still Life (Talking) which is very good.  I've heard that the reissue of Still Life was tweaked for the lo-fi crowd, with extended bottom end and levels pushed near clipping. I can't tell you anything about the "Touchstone" releases sound quality, but frm a musical perspective they all are terrific...if you like melodic, sweeping, watercolor musical landscapes.  (I do.)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 02:17:40 PM »
I got this one for Christmas, Arvo Part, "In Principio." It is awesome.   But I think the Amazon sale is a different series of recordings.  Has been an audiophile quality label for decades.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 09:17:45 PM »
$7.99 is a good deal on these.....I paid more when they came out.
They are older recordings...repackaged in cardboard sleeves...
....but the recordings are excellent...as is most of ECM catalog.

At this price.....you can't go wrong.... 8)

Some info:

http://jazz.suite101.com/article.cfm/ecm_records_touchstones_gems_worth_hearing
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 09:25:08 PM by lonewolfny42 »

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 07:36:23 AM »
I bought a bunch of these given the prices were reasonable.... I'm not a fan of most of them.  Definitely not my bag, man :)

If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM.  I'd be happy to sell them to someone....
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......