Author Topic: Classical music suggestions as gifts...  (Read 5606 times)

djdube525

Classical music suggestions as gifts...
« on: December 03, 2009, 05:48:35 PM »
I'm trying to put together a handful of discs as stocking stuffers for my folks.
I know they like and have several Tchaikovsky, Bethoven and Mozart discs.

Any specific suggestions on CDs of a similar style that does not contain music from the above composers? I say that as I don't know exactly what they all have.

My mom also likes to listen to opera - I know they have Les Miserables and Phantom... but not sure what else they have. I could ask, but that kills any surprise. And the fact that I don't know for sure means it's been too long since I've been up there to visit (it's too cold up thah in Maine, ayuh!).  :D

Thanks!

Dave

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Classical music suggestions as gifts...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:43:25 PM »

djdube525

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 03:29:55 PM »
Well... I talked to my sister (cellist) and she redirected my search a bit. Nothing like waiting to the last minute on my part. :-)

Thought on either of these two? Which would you pick?

Dvorak: Piano Trios - Yo-Yo Ma
Dvorák - Complete Piano Trios - Antonin Dvorak (Phillips Classics)

Thoughts on the following?

Haydn: Piano Sonatas - Franz Joseph Haydn performed by Marc-Andre Hamelin
Franz Schubert: Complete Trios - Bernard Greenhouse (Phillips Classics)
Schubert: The Last Four Quartets - Franco Rossi  (Phillips Classics)
Brahms: Complete Piano Quartets - Bernard Greenhouse
Schumann: Complete Piano Trios - Robert Schumann (Phillips Classics)
Rachmaninov: The Symphonies - Tom Krause
Mendelssohn, Bruch: Violin Concertos / Chung, Kempe - Max Bruch
Tchaikovsky, Sibelius: Violin Concertos - Jean Sibelius performed by Kyund-Wha Chung

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 04:21:08 PM »
Dvorak is one of my favorites. He's the composer that got me into classical as being anything more than occasional Bach for sustenance and psychiatric treatments. For a while I left Dvorak behind while I explored the Russians and Germans, but now I am coming back, especially the quartets are amazing. I bought a hifi partly to hear the 9th Symphony in style. Get the yoyo trios. If it's on Sony it will be great.

From your list I like the Brahms Quartets (and Quintet), Shubert quartets and Mendelssohn/Bruch. 

Beethoven Triple Concerto with Mutter and YoYO Ma is also a masterpiece similar to your list.

djdube525

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 04:32:44 PM »
Thanks Rich!

re: Dvorak, he (my father) has the 7th, 8th and 9th symphonies... my sister suggested the 5th. Would you happen to have a favorite?

Again, thanks for the other suggestions... I'll go check them out now. Santa needs to hurry up and fill his sleigh. :)

djdube525

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 04:49:40 PM »
One more question... When you mentioned Yo Yo Ma Trios... were you referring to Dvorak or something else? I see:

http://www.amazon.com/Ax-Stoltzman-Ma-Beethoven-Clarinet/dp/B0000029CU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1261010111&sr=1-3

or possibly, Dvorak in Prague?
http://www.amazon.com/Dvorak-Prague-Celebration-Yo-Yo-Ma/dp/B0000027C5/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1261010111&sr=1-6

I found the Beetoven Tripple Concertos.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 04:50:17 PM »

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=167558
This is my favorite Dvorak music of all, and my favorite string quartet, and a perfect recording, all in one!

I have lots of 9ths. I still love Bernstein/NYP 9th best but I only have one recording each of 7 and 8, the playing is boring so I don't listen to them much. Never heard the earlier symphonies - yet.  I'd go with your sis' rec. Dad's a Dvorak lover, huh? He must be a very special man. :D

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 04:53:29 PM »
I meant the Dvorak Trios that you had on your list.  Sony Masterworks recordings are always excellent all around productions. The two links you posted look kinda like modern compilations. Let me try to find a Dvorak Trio for you.....

Edit: Not finding anything that stands out.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 05:00:36 PM by richidoo »

Offline richidoo

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »
Hey man, put on WCPE  89.7FM, Beethoven 9th Symphony, Simon Rattle is just starting now...  wooohooo!!

djdube525

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 06:16:14 PM »
I'd go with your sis' rec. Dad's a Dvorak lover, huh? He must be a very special man. :D

He seems to like the style anyway. My sister has them pretty well pegged. Some of the other ideas I had were responded with "Oh, that's too 20th century". Some of the Russian composers music are a bit more "disjointed" (not sure if that conveys well) which I don't think they like.

On an unrelated side note, my niece just moved up from 3rd to principal cellist in her orchestra (7th grade). Mom (my sister) is happy.

Thanks again for all your help Rich. I think I've got a solid selection now thanks to your help.

Dave

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 06:23:51 PM »
Great Dave, you have some nice choices there. Congrats to the little maestro.

See you Saturday, I hope!  (oops, I mean Sunday, sorry)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 08:26:18 AM by richidoo »

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 07:36:16 AM »
Rich has several versions of the 9th for a reason.  They are likely vastly different and each is unique.  Perhaps you could find out which version your Dad has and get him a recording of the 9th from a different orchestra and conductor.

One of the biggest musical eye openers I ever had was on my 11th birthday.  Nerd that I was, I proclaimed Beethoven as my favorite artist, as I pilfered my parents' complete set of Beetoven's symphonies conducted by Toscanini.  A friend got me the 5th by Bernstein/NYP as a present.  Although we were both initially disappointed that I already had the 5th, we played the two versions and couldn't believe how mauch thery differed form each other.  My friend was a little older, 15 or so, and listened to Prog Rock and Funk-classical was the furthest thing from his mind until he heard Toscanini v Bernstein.  (Both, by the way are wonderful in their own ways).

I love Seiji Osawa's version with the SF Philharmonic.  It was recorded in 1975 but the performance is wonderful.  It's been a long time since I heard it, so I can't be certain about the recording quality.

Anyway, thought I'd chime in.