Author Topic: Blu Ray Concert Rant  (Read 2156 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Blu Ray Concert Rant
« on: July 28, 2009, 12:21:20 PM »
Why aren't there any new groups coming out with Blu-ray concert DVD's?
If you search Blu-ray concert dvd's you mainly get 'mature' artists.. there are maybe 3 youthful groups.. Foofighters, Live, DMB, etc.  And those guys are on the back end of their careers anyway.. I saw 1 Shakira.. but even she's starting to sag now. ;)  It was mostly Elton John, Streissand, Clapton, Tony Bennet, and that sort of thing.. and then there are the occasional earlier recordings remastered like the Who.. but most of the blu-ray productions are 'reunion tour' type stuff.. not the real thing.

How many kids out there have Sony Playstations?  They can all watch and hear Blu-ray concerts.. come on market, catch up already!

whew!  OK, I feel better.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Blu Ray Concert Rant
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 02:16:19 PM »
Because it's "mature" artists that have budgets to produce Blu-Ray concerts and mature listeners who have the interest to spend upwards of $30 for a concert video.  Kids get all they need from MTV and You Tube. Quality is not an issue.  MP3 or worse is the standard...and free is the acceptable cost. 

It's not worth it for labels to release high quality images and sounds unless theycan reap the reward.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Blu Ray Concert Rant
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 04:27:35 PM »
Not sure I agree.. I just think they haven't caught up with it.. Record companies would use a consumer-level VHS camcorder if they could get away with it.. They won't let me record in HD myself when I visit the concert either.. And why not?  Because I could resell it and make money..
If these kids have $100 to go see a concert, certainly they have the $20-30 to buy one recorded in good quality.  Most aren't 30, more like 20-25 at Best Buy.  If they did buy one, they could actually hear the music at some point rather than just feel the distorted ball of sound at the concert. ;)

They're still making concert DVD's, just not using high def to lay it down. 

I really enjoy listening to music.