Author Topic: Zoom H2/H4  (Read 7283 times)

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
Zoom H2/H4
« on: May 18, 2009, 02:05:14 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone have experience using these portable recording devices?

I'm thinking about buying a h2 or h4. 

Regards

Rod

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Zoom H2/H4
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 06:47:32 AM »
Links:
H2  Handy Recorder
H4 
H4n

These look pretty cool.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:58:18 AM »
My daughter has a Zoom H2 and loves it.  She sings and uses it a lot for practice.   

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 09:58:08 PM »
Hi,

I can get a zoom h4 for $600au locally.  I'm seriously considering purchasing one.  I will use it for my trumpet playing, lessons and occasional live recording (subject to approval of course).

Regards

Rod

Offline Blackmore

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 06:20:48 AM »
We use a Zoom H2 at my high school.  It's really easy to use and makes fine recordings. Actually, some of the best recordings we have made were on the H2, not our Crown Stereo Mic/Mackie mixer/Tascam CD burner.  We use it in the 4 microphone stereo mode and it gives us an accurate assessment of our performances.  Downloads have been easy, but the supplied flash card died about 1 year after we got the machine, so have some spares ready.  Haven't tried it as a 24/96 storage device through the USB, but that's supposed to be great.  I also like the H2 having a simple way to set it up on a mic stand. 

That being said, I think I would prefer the H4 at my house just for the XLR inputs.  And for the slightly larger buttons and view screen....my age is showing. :)
Her name was "Princess"

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 04:39:25 AM »
Hi,

Well these units are much better priced from the US but I've had bad experiences with units breaking and having to send it OS overseas.  Whilst it was fixed shipping was a deal killer.

I can get a zoom h2 for $400au or a zoom h4n for $600au.  Which one would you purchase?

I'm really only going to use it for my musical performances and occasional recording of live music at hotels.

Regards

Rod

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 06:38:52 AM »
I'd go for the H4 to get the condenser mics. Then the recordings might be good enough to listen on your stereo. H2 has dynamic mics. H4 also has input jacks so you can record line in from FM tuner, mixing board, etc.  The H4n adds true coincident mics which will improve stereo imaging at high frequencies and an improved quality mic input amp. How much improved is the question, it's still a handheld.

H4n has a lot of other convenience features worth considering. Longer battery life, USB2, remote control option, supposedly better sound quality input amp, speed bending for play along practicing. Loop function is much more important for practicing, but it doesn't have that.

http://bhphoto.com sells H4n for $349US (448AUD.)  UPS to australia is $63USD.

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 01:51:34 AM »
Hi,

I went to a music retail store today looking at purchasing a zoom h2 and walked out
with a zoom h4n.  It cost $600au locally.

I know I could have saved a $100au but at least I get a local warranty and backup
if I need it.

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Rod

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 06:19:12 AM »
Very cool. I would like to know how well it records once you get used to it. Thanks

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 03:04:34 PM »
Hi Rich,

Ha ha now that is another problem.  I had a quick look at the manual and this thing can do
lots of different things.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Regards

Rod

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 03:15:10 PM »
A little light reading... haha

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 06:48:18 PM »
Hi Rich,

I used the zoom h4n yesterday to record a trumpet solo.  It was really good to critique my playing I was really surprised at the sound quality that I heard.  I was able to hear that my tone is much better than what
I thought.  I was also able to determine that on occasions I suffer from lazy fingers which don't keep up with
my playing.

Oh well back to the drawing board.

Regards

Rod

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 06:55:17 PM »
I used to bring a tiny portable cassette recorder to my lessons. My teacher called it the lie detector. You say you know D flat minor scale? Tell the lie detector.  You can learn more from yourself than any teacher if you're brave enough to listen.

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 08:01:10 PM »
Hi Rich,

Just been listening to a dvd by John Thomas that shows him giving a lesson to some college students in the US.  He has some interesting methods that I will try.  One of them is 'Blowing out the candle'.

I feel like a novice with my trumpet playing but way back in the 1970's there was no such thing as the internet and we are such an isolated city that we didn't have the ability to research different trumpet methods.

I agree recording my own performance really has given me an insight into my playing.

Regards

Rod

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 09:59:27 PM »
Here's one: hold a pencil with your lips. Move it in and out from your teeth until it hurts. Repeat everyday, but don't overdo it. Try get the Walter Smith methods, especially "Lip Flexibility" for chops and "Top Tones" for control and fingering. Murder. Smith was probably the best American trumpet teacher in 20th century.