Author Topic: Am I just getting old and grumpy?  (Read 3760 times)

shep

Am I just getting old and grumpy?
« on: May 13, 2009, 05:30:24 AM »
 :shock: :(
or do I have a crappy system? Ok so I saw this really nice video preview on the Harmonia Mundi site of a new release: Bach Brandenberg Concert's and though "goody it's been at least 25 years since I bought a full set" and I really liked what I saw so I bought it. Major disappointment. Not the musicality..., the bloody recording. Several reviews thought it was marvelous. Do these people listen on Ipods ot what? Have they never heard the great HM analogue recordings of the 70's and 80's? I guess not. Here is my take; recording venue badly chosen. There's a persistent background noise of some sort that you can easily hear in the silent moments. There's no sense of accoustic space, no sense of a stage with instuments playing together. All I hear is a slightly diffuse presentation, set too far away. If I didn't know better, I would have to say we have made no progress in 30 years and have indeed gone astray. If you think this is a good recording then there's something seriously wrong with my gear.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Am I just getting old and grumpy?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 05:56:25 AM »
Sounds like the Nervosa has set in Shep.  Send it back and let them know. Email the reviewer and state your case. Could be you just bought a inferior pressing, possible you know.
   If one piece of music sounds inferior to others well than my dear nervosahead its the recording. My take anyway. Chill.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 06:05:10 AM »
Not hear the HD version, but I have a nice recording of them, played on period instruments. I know it's good because I gave it to Carl, and he hates it. It's a little tinky on the old horns and harpsichord, but they are wailing and the sound is pristine.  Can you play flac?

shep

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 03:56:00 PM »
No flac, but I get plenty of it elsewhere! I just don't think this is in any way a great recording and I would welcome a second opinion from someone who's heard it.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 06:00:56 PM »
Only CDs, right? OK PM your mailing address to meeeeeee.... Get something new in the malebox

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 11:24:08 AM »
Could've been the best performance in the world but... throwing a harpsichord in the mix is like having an old priest playing baseball show up in a wet dream.  :shock: haha..
I really enjoy listening to music.

shep

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
I take it Carl is not a fan :rofl:
Rich I live in the boondocks and I don't mind showing my malebox to the world. Vistors welcome!
Shep Strudwick
Puy Calvel
La Motte Cassel
France

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 06:31:55 AM »
I take it Carl is not a fan :rofl:
Rich I live in the boondocks and I don't mind showing my malebox to the world. Vistors welcome!
Shep Strudwick
Puy Calvel
La Motte Cassel
France

Hey Shep Can ya spare some Duck fat ? I hear its good for dampening speaker enclosures. Are you the same Shep from AC I used to chat with about Promitheus ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

shep

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 08:27:43 AM »
You can have duck fat by the truck load. Hey I have a great idea: You put all the gear in the closet, seal it, drill a hole and inject duck fat until it will not take any more. Just a thought. I used to be on AC but I don't think I ever talked about Prometheus with anyone, since I wasn't especially interested. Is there another ME? a clone maybe.