Author Topic: Calculating Sound improvement VS Convenience (perk) per cost.  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
Its a nagging question that gets in the way of purchasing audio gear.
When buying audio gear(regardless of piece... pre, source,etc) where is the line between paying for perks like remotes and raw sound quality?

For eg. If I buy a 10k preamp with all the perks like remote, input types and quantity including great aesthetics. How much would the pre amp cost to get equivalent quality but no perks (including aesthetics)?

I am not sure if its question that can be answered? Its only something that nags at my buying decisions.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Calculating Sound improvement VS Convenience (perk) per cost.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »
Hi

Here is my feeble attempt to answer your query.

Are you thinking of a 10K preamp with all the bells and whistles that you would be trying to do a barebones copy of but do it yourself?

Or

Do you just want that same 10K preamp but with a lot less goodies in a plain old case from that same maker?

For situation 1 I would maybe head over to the DIY Audio site to see what members there have come up with. My Dad's old tech built a bare bones Pass Labs Aleph preamp clone years ago and it was a homely looking thing. It was like Frankenpreamp. the outer casing was quality metal but just plain ugly and the parts inside were top of the line. All his gear wasn't the greatest looking but man oh man the music from his system was divine.Another thing you can do is try to price out the parts and labor of having the preamp you want built.

For the 2nd situation I would maybe go to the manufacturer of that 10K preamp, discuss your needs if possible and get a price?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Calculating Sound improvement VS Convenience (perk) per cost.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 09:11:47 AM »
    I for one would rather have sonic accuracy than eye candy or convenience.
    Function over form. Now finding a piece that is bare bones in perks and looks is rare these days.
     Berning, AVA, Arion, NAD, Harbeth, GTA , CAT, Lampiziator, TWL, PIAudio, Lamm, Audio Note, Shindo, Nightshade Audio, Gary Dodd, Woo Audio and more offer such products.
      Leave the gold plated knobs and fancy case for someone else.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.