Author Topic: Today at 4:30: G2G Amps and Speakers  (Read 24998 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: 9/26 at 6:30: G2G Amps and Speakers
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 08:49:38 AM »
You'll be missed, Shane.. but come on by tonight if you can... the earlier the better... Christine's going to kick you out by 8 or 9 to watch 'Dexter', though.

I too am looking forward to the comparison.. I have heard a little break-in happening with the caps.. they started sounding a little bright and forward yesterday.. typical of break-in oscillations in my experience... they'll swing back but it'll be a while.  Some would argue it's all in my head... but I would argue there is so much in my head already, I can't make up anything new. ;)

I'm still doing the position-dance with them.. moving them away from the back wall makes them thin and flat.. moving towards the back wall gives a thicker, richer sound with a higher image.. which works out well since that works better in the room functionally.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2009, 05:39:15 PM »
Having looked at the weather.. where we have a 90% chance of getting an inch+ of rain throughout the day, I think it's asking a lot to have Steve load up his truck (on his own) with all of his gear, and speakers in the back, dealing with a tarp... etc..  then unloading in the rain once here...

I understand determination but it's just a bunch of guys listening to music at the end of the day.. I'm willing to swap days and do this Sunday (only if the weather report looks better).. or we can do it a different weekend. 

I know it's an indoor event but there is a lot of gear to be toted in and out.. and for a pretty good distance... I leave it to Steve since he's bringing it... We could also just get together and hang out, listen to some tunes and not do a lot of gear swapping...

Anything's fine with me.. just wanted to offer some other options due to the weather.

-C

PS.. I spoke with Steve.. I will update this thread with any changes/cancellations by 1:00 PM Saturday.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 07:15:44 PM by Carlman »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2009, 08:39:40 PM »
Good idea.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2009, 10:32:38 AM »
I hate to be a WIMP, but I'd prefer not to haul a bunch of electronics around in the rain.

SO...I chatted with Carl, and we'll wait for a more weather friendly day  :roll:!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2009, 10:34:20 AM »
OK Steve, that's smart.   

Now I get to go to "Game Night" with Julie's work friends. I just hope it's not kareoke again.  :roll:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2009, 10:52:43 AM »
It's cool.. not wimpy to me. I'm not sure who would be willing to pack their speakers on day like this into an open pickup and drive an hour on the highway.. no way.

There's a chance we'll meet tomorrow but we'll be playing it by ear (so to speak).  ;)  Sorry we couldn't meet today.

Pray for sunshine! :)

-C

Offline RichardS

• Seeking Help
Re: Postponed due to rain: 9/26 at 6:30: G2G Amps and Speakers
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2009, 11:17:53 AM »
Bummer, but I completely understand. I knew it was risky renting 'The Tudors' for my wife tonight....
So Carl, any more comments on the 'new' Piegas for those of us chomping at the bit?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2009, 12:36:35 PM »
At least it wasn't a Jane Austin movie.. ;)

New Piega's are finally getting close to their final home... I've got them farther into the room... and a little wider than before... i.e. the speakers are closer to the sidewalls than I've had them in the past.

Every fraction of an inch makes a substantial difference to the sound now... so I think I could correct just about any problem anyone has with a nudge. ;)  The speakers are more revealing of the source now also.  I'd be interested to try some other DAC's now.  Shane's Bufalo dac does a great job on bass definition and flushes out the vocals more than my SN DAC.. I'm not sure the difference would've been as clear before.

I'm still VERY happy with them.. and now more than ever.  For fun last night.. I decided to put the HT sub into the mix and hear what that would do.. and WOW.. I am going to have do subs... no question.  Only problem is my pre doesn't have 2 sets of pre-outs... kind of odd for this nice of a preamp.  Rick was right about it being easier to integrate a sub, though... The sub in the rear platform would do with some tweaking.. but a pair of subs in the front will probably sound more 'right'... and of course, cost more money! hahaha. the neverending hobby.

I'm hoping we can get together tomorrow afternoon.. like 3 or 4-ish.  Keeping an eye on the weather..

-C

Offline richidoo

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2009, 02:03:24 PM »
I was thinking that would be a good position for them Carl. The ideal is to place the woofers at different distances from the surrounding surfaces so reflections cancel at different frequencies. Then you also want them far away from front wall for depth illusion. Distance to floor is fixed, so that makes the distance to sidewall shorter.  That works well for the screen angle too.  Since you're already killing reflections on the sidewall, so it's a good potential spot. Can't wait to hear that.  It's nice when the theory lines up with the reality.

I was thinking that we should mark it so both C8s can go to the same spot for comparison. 

I can come tomorrow around 6:30. I guess you'll be mostly done by then tho?

Offline stereofool

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2009, 02:38:10 PM »

I was thinking that we should mark it so both C8s can go to the same spot for comparison. 

YES...I'm planning on bringing some masking tape to outline speaker position  ;)!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2009, 05:29:46 PM »
I can come tomorrow around 6:30. I guess you'll be mostly done by then tho?

You know how these things go... we'll probably just be getting started with the 'real comparisons' by then. ;)

-C

Offline stereofool

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2009, 03:47:25 AM »
Weather is looking a bit more promising today...it's supposed to stop raining around noon. If so, then I will call Carl, and see if we can GO  :D!
Steve

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Today at 4:30: G2G Amps and Speakers
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2009, 08:34:15 AM »
It is a GO! :) :) :)

Steve will get here early to help me setup... and do some initial listening.. then we'll have an official start time of 4:30... Trying to keep it early-ish because I know tomorrow is a 'school day'. ;)

-C
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 11:57:16 AM by Carlman »

Offline richidoo

Re: Today at 4:30: G2G Amps and Speakers
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2009, 09:35:13 PM »
Fun meet tonight guys. Only 4 people, but we had a blast. Thanks to Carl and Christine for having us over, and special thanks to Steve for hauling up his whole system so he could compare his Piegas with the Selah modded Piegas.

Offline stereofool

Re: Today at 4:30: G2G Amps and Speakers
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2009, 04:38:14 AM »
Yes...thanks to Carl and Christine for their hospitality, once again  :clap:!

I did make it home safely, last night and was going to post, but my internet service was lost-in-space. Got the speakers and the screen unloaded , but crashed after that  :roll:.

Carl's modded Piega's do sound different, and for the most part give a smoother more relaxed presentation. To me it seemed as though some high end details were lost, but that may have been some of the distortion/extra 'bite' that you get with the stock crossovers.

An additional perk was that I got confirmation that my own system sounds pretty darn good, especially in a nicely designed acoustic space  :D. Read that as I need to get off of my butt and get my listening space repaired and treated with my new panels...that are yet to be put together  :duh.

As always, it was great to spend time with fellow audiophools  :rofl:.
Steve