Author Topic: Today at 4:30: G2G Amps and Speakers  (Read 25111 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Today at 4:30: G2G Amps and Speakers
« on: September 14, 2009, 11:47:10 AM »
Come to think of it, that's a great idea for a get together as it's just down the street and easy to transport them that short distance...  Carl? :)
I'm already planning a speaker comparison between my upgraded C8's and Steve's stock ones.. why not make it about speakers?  I have no issue with that. 

We may need a pre-meeting to get the right amp for the comparison.. or at least try the 402 on the Harbeth's to see if that's a good combo... I'd be willing to help get it all setup and such.  I'd like to hear the Belles amps at some point too, though.  I don't have an exact date on when I'll have my speakers back in and playing.. but should be within 2 weeks.  You're welcome to bring the Harbeth's over and hear them here sometime.. just need to plan it.  Right now I'm using rear channel speakers for fronts and it's a bit wimpy in there.  I miss my speakers. :(

-C
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 08:34:37 AM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
G2G Amps and Speakers
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 12:39:16 PM »
Ooh, ooh... Can I bring mine too?? 

A couple different amps on hand would be nice. Carl can organize the comparison like N. Korean military parade so a few more variables won't dilute the results or the fun. I think Steve's AR 100W tube amp is one of the best tube amps ever made, should make a nice match to Harbeth and the new sensitive side of Piega. Although the stock C8s will protest furiously. But that's the kind of thing we want to hear, no?

What I am most interested to know about the next G2G is what kind of dessert will Vera Askew make for us?  Did everybody have her poundcake?  I also hope that Steve doesn't think that just because he brings 300 pounds of speakers from 100 miles away that he is excused from baking the official "G2G cookies."   [-X

I just love that we are meeting every month now instead of every 3 or 4 or 6 months. I'm gonna have to stick my leg in the door to get on the schedule again.  I know, I know....  not until my acoustics are finished.  :x

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: G2G Amps and Speakers
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 01:19:26 PM »
OK, so let's figure out what we have in this new thread and plan it.  How many amps and speakers are coming?
Speakers:
Harbeth's -HTDoc
C8 LTD's (upgraded) -Carlman
C8 LTD's (stock) -Stereofool
Timepiece 2.1's -BigFish

Amps:
MC-402 -Carlman
AR 100 -Richidoo/Stereofool
Belles/LSD -HTDoc
Butler 2250's -Stereofool
TacT 2150 (Maui mod'ed) - RichardS

Cables:
I want to do a power cord rematch, on the preamp only. We didn't include the copper Kaplans last time.. and I've gotten some new cables from Black Sand Cable that I think are stellar.  I'd like to do the following:
BSC Statement One (latest version)
Kaplan Copper and Rhodium versions
JPS AC+ and Kaptivator (if HTDoc has available)

Military parade style may be required with that much stuff.  It's 3 meets worth of comparisons... between the amps, speakers, and cables.  With big speakers we will be limited to time and space... but I'll do my best.  This will definitely require a couple of weeks to put together.. Getting the gear here, figuring out what works/doesn't, etc. 

I like the idea that there be no G2G at Rich's until the panels are finished and in place.  :twisted:  He had how many G2G's already?  Payback! hahaha

Let me know what you guys think.  I have no problem having 2 or 3 smaller meets to compare all of the above.

-C

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:02:25 PM by Carlman »

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 02:44:05 PM »
Sure it will be a challenge, but I will happily bring my C8's (huff-puff)  :shock:.

I can bring over the 2250's for more power :twisted:.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 03:57:52 PM »
I was kidding.     Ushers are just to big to move across the room much less across town.

But I will bring more vegetables, and Steve's amp and whatever else.

Offline RichardS

• Seeking Help
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 05:35:01 PM »
Carl
If you're up for it (and because I'm interested in possibly upgrading my Piegas too) -- mind if I also bring my Maui-modded Tact amp, so I can see how the differences pan out (just on the Piegas)?
If you want a couple other cords, I can bring a Verastarr Grand Illusion and a Fusion Audio (I have the Enchanter and the Impulse)....

Bigfish8

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 05:56:27 PM »
Carl:

I don't know if it would be appropriate or even if there would be any interst but I could bring the SP Tech Timepieces!  Just let me know!

Ken

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 05:59:53 PM »
For cable comparisons, I want to keep it to power only.. so as long as you're bringing power cords, that's fine.  I'd love to hear the 2150 w/ the mods!  I've been very interested to hear that for a long time. :)

Ken, the Timepieces would be nice to hear again.  It's been too long.. and would provide the other end of the spectrum to what the Harbeth's do.  I'm curious as to how they'd do in my room... might rock it.. I don't know.  They sound different every time I hear them.

The more I think about it, the more I think we'll have to do a 2-day event...  Still figuring it out but I don't see how else at the moment.

Oh, and gee, Rich.. thanks.. got my hopes up.. I figured by the end of the meet you'd be hoping for a speaker trade. ;)

-C
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 06:03:04 PM by Carlman »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 07:07:27 PM »
Oh, and gee, Rich.. thanks.. got my hopes up.. I figured by the end of the meet you'd be hoping for a speaker trade. ;)

After hauling them over there I would only be hoping for a hernia operation.  :duh

I can bring the Feastrex horns if there is interest, but I don't want to embarrass all the other speakers.  8)

2 days?  :wtf:  Run it like your cable comparo and we'll be done by 9:30.  :lol:

One thing to consider, any unused speakers must be removed from the room or they will mess with the playing speakers.  :lmc:

There, now I have used all of my fav emotees in one post. Good night.   :yay2:

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »
I've got several Power AC+ and Kaptovator cords here.... at least I have a couple that aren't already out on demo with folks... I can bring them along...  When is that comparison happening?  It might be beneficial to have sooner rather than later..............

You're welcome to try any and all gear that I have here to match up to the speakers, including DACs and preamps I have here...  the VT-01 is getting more hours on it as we speak and so is the modded DAC...

Personally, I like the way you run things.. being organized isn't necessarily a bad thing... you at least get a brief glimpse of all the stuff on hand rather than just floundering around and being more social.... not that there is anything wrong with that :)... that can be a really great time as well.......
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 12:36:15 PM »
Thanks for the offer, Shane.. I'll take you up on any help you can give at this point.. I'll need to get this event setup and organized fairly soon.. Could do a warmup/pre-meet this weekend.. I had a trip planned that may be falling through...
-C

pmkap

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 07:33:29 PM »
Dang Carl,

All these soirees and I never get invited.... (quite difficult as I live in the Nasty Apple)
If you're interested, I could possibly send along a couple of my new power cords, the H.S., in both rhodium and copper. These are a substantial step up, in both price and performance, from my $299 H.E. power cords. Even so, I feel they are a price/performance leader. YMMV Have you settled on a date? It might be difficult to get the cables to you prior to RMAF.

Regards,
Paul

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 08:21:12 PM »
Paul, everyone here is invited... not sure why you're not feeling the love... especially since part of the reason is to compare YOUR cords..  ;)

I'm planning on doing the cord comparison soon.. like within the next weekend or the one following.  I'm OK with how many power cords we have now.. unless what I have is not representative.  On the cord review I'll put the price as part of the details.  I'm just now getting the agenda put together.

-C

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 06:00:56 AM »
forget Carl... *I* want to hear the latest and greatest :)... if we're going to listen to an expensive JPS Labs cord and Black Sands pricier models, I'd like to see how your best compares to it.  Plus, if its better than all the rest in Carl's system, it should generate some interest online and locally to get you a few sales...
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 08:04:29 AM »
OK, fine.. basically if it's a power cord, amp or speaker, and it gets here in the next 5-10 days, we'll put it on the agenda to be heard.
-C