Author Topic: Anyone with experience with GaN Amps?  (Read 1914 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Anyone with experience with GaN Amps?
« on: January 12, 2021, 04:46:49 PM »
Been reading that this is the next big thing. Can anyone share their experience?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: Anyone with experience with GaN Amps?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 05:26:38 PM »
I am using the original Orchard Audio BOSC GaN Class D monoblocks.

Using them in a tri-amp setup with the monoblocks driving the planar mids and tweeters with very short drive cables.  Sound very good here compared to older Class D designs.

Not tried them with different speakers.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 06:43:14 PM »
Ok, I'll plead ignorance.  What is GaN?  Gallium Nitride?
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 07:13:20 AM »
Yes, the output devices are Gallium Nitride transistors.  Much higher efficiency and higher rise time than silicon for output devices.  Switching frequency increases over silicon.  The latest Class D amps with Silicon MOSFET outputs switch at around ~500KHz.  The GaN output stage in the BOSC switches at ~750KHz.  This makes filtering out the HF output easier with better quality components.  Other parasitic types of problems are lower on GaN devices, so simpler drive circuitry is part of the design.

Note: Leo may still have his Starkrimson)old BOSC GaN amp) monoblocks available for demo.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 08:38:40 AM by HAL »

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 08:59:47 AM »
I think the jury is out whether or not they are as ground breaking as the claim. Looking for a really good lightweight amp. That leads to class D. I have never heard a good class D.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 11:16:23 AM »
http://agdproduction.com/static/audion.html

“THE AUDION” Monoblock uses the unique GaNTube™ technology with Gallium Nitride MOSFET based Power-Stage, fully enclosed in a Glass Tube.

"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 03:42:55 PM »
@Emil, those are nice but pricey. May had to wait until they are mainstream.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 04:37:35 PM »
The first amps I had heard using GaN output stages is the Merrill Audio Element 114, 116 and 118 Class D amps at a few shows driving different speakers.  Convinced me to look at the Orchard Audio GaN amps.  Sound great to me and I have head multiple Class D amps that did not sound very good or self destructed with unusual loads. 

That is why Orchard Audio sends out the amps for trials in systems.  Short speaker cables are even better.  Mine are 18" long directly driving the BG planars.  Very neutral sound and extremely quiet for my well isolated listening room. 

Good luck with your choices.