Author Topic: TAS - Spring Equinox G2G  (Read 23307 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
TAS - Spring Equinox G2G
« on: March 01, 2008, 07:40:59 AM »
The next gathering of Triangle Audio Society is scheduled for March 30th, 5pm, at Rich's house. More details to follow. Hope to see many AN'ers there, please come if you can.

http://www.triangleaudiosociety.com/

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: TAS - Spring Equinox G2G
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 11:01:16 AM »
I'm there...Rich  :drool:!!!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 11:40:45 AM »
Alright! It's officially a party!!  :rofl:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 06:24:32 AM »
Rich....

The Korato amp is on its way....have a good meeting... :beer:

...........Chris

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 09:09:23 AM »
Schweet.  Thanks Chris.

I'll be very interested to hear the comments about the Korato on the big Ushers.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 09:28:52 AM »
:D  Thanks Chris!  Thanks Bryan, for including us in your tour.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 12:38:43 PM »
Rich... count me in! 

Shane - if you're reading - I'll bring your JPS digital IC as well.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 12:23:30 PM »
Looks like the amp is scheduled to arrive at your place tomorrow.  You'll have to sign for it.

Edit/Update:
Amp is on the truck for delivery. 

Enjoy!

Bryan
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 06:32:42 AM by bpape »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 02:16:01 PM »
Thanks for the updates Bryan! I never even had to check tracking... ;) The eagle has landed in fine shape - well packed by the gear swapping master Lonewolf. The box is awesome, all 1/2 plywood, screwed together tight with Korato stencilled on the side. A really nice touch that looks like something very important has arrived.

Carl's RCA 12ax7as arrived today too... whoa, big difference in sound over the modern chinese and russian tubes we tried. Now we're getting somewhere! I'm sure there are better out there, but good ole RCAs are always sure to please. Used almost new from AC for $30 each!

My neighbor the decorator came in to see the 'new' speakers today. She freaked at the appearance, didn't know such a thing even existed. It was like she was seeing a UFO (not far off?) Then I sat her down in the hotseat and played a Boney James CD that her husband gave to me, something she hears all the time, heavy adult contemporary bass lines and super hyped sibilant background vocals, big fat tenor sax - an audio mastering masterpiece of soul.  She just started laughing and squealing, "oh my GOD!" It was overwhelming for her to hear it like that. Her comment was "it felt like she was at a live concert." Which I think is high praise, she said the same thing when I played the Altmann amp for them. Nice to share with normal people occasionally.  I wanted to give her the full audio demo tour, but she doesn't understand the religion so it would be like a Latin mass for her. So I was happy that she enjoyed that short moment so much. It will fester in there for a while until she invites herself back for some more. After that we discussed what she is gonna do with her full, unfinished basement, 60 feet long, 35 feet wide with lollies at the 25 foot wide mark, totally unused, 1/8 full of boxes. She wants a big yard and windows in the bathrooms like we have (otherwise identical houses), so I told her we could trade.  :mrgreen:  Can you imagine a sound room 24 x 40? Holy shit!

Nick is bringing the squeezebox server over tomorrow, so we should be all set on the source end. Duet has been behaving B+ since tweaking the processor load. The new server should be FAST!!

I am working hard on improving the acoustics in the room up to the standard of the incredible equipment on hand, so everyone can really get the full impact. I feel truly blessed to be allowed to play with all your amazing toys, guys. Thanks so much!
Rich

Bigfish8

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 05:14:04 PM »
Rich:

You must truly be in total Audio Bliss!

You lucky dog!

Ken

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 08:46:29 PM »
Rich....

Glad to hear the Korato arrived in good condition... 8)
And thanks again Bryan.... :beer:
I worry when shipping equipment....but if well packed/and a wood box...its safer.
Have fun with the Usher's....their nice speakers....heard them a few times...the Korato
should do OK. :clap:

I'll look forward to the photo's....have a good meet...and say hello to the gang for me... :beer:

...............Chris

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 05:36:02 AM »
Will do Chris, thanks for your help on the Korato.

It is up to temp and sounding really fine now. Class A is something else! So smooth and clear, relaxed, peaceful, listenable! The system disappears leaving only the music.

I can understand why Krell has grown to be so successful over the years, making powerful class A amps. I imagine 200W class A would be just about perfect for these monster speakers.  :shock:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 05:46:06 AM »
I can understand why Krell has grown to be so successful over the years, making powerful class A amps. I imagine 200W class A would be just about perfect for these monster speakers.  :shock:

Need more cushion for the pushin'? ;)  I'm a fan of the more is better camp for power.  200w seems like it'd be a good 'starting point' for the Usher's but I think 500 per speaker is probably what they'd like the most... and/or what I'd like the most. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 06:23:05 AM »
Thanks again Chris.  Appreciate 'herding the cats' on this one.

Careful Rich...

Class A with bipolar outputs can be addicting.  To me, it's like listening to a good tube amp but with much better bottom end and not as much 'roundness'.   

Don't let the power rating fool you on that amp.  It sounds and acts much bigger than the 100 WPC would imply.  No, it's not going to keep up with the big Mac in terms of sheer output capability but it's also a fraction of the price.  They don't publish the spec but the manufacturer tells me the amp has almost 6db of dynamic headroom.

I'll be getting it's big brother in the country soon to get broken in to show at RMAF this year.  It goes up from 100 to 180WPC and Class A goes from 40 to 55W I believe.

Bryan

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 07:37:55 PM »
Wow, that does sound cool! Although it won't be cool at all with 55W churning all the time. I didn't know the 100 was 40W cclass A, I thought only 30.

I agree with the more power is better rule, you can hear the confidence of that extra coupla hundred watts. 500 watts of classA would be a fun experience, but it would probably need its own forced AC cooling system to run for more than 2 minutes. haha