Systemic Development > Analog Devices

Phono stage advice and opinions needed...

<< < (5/5)

bpape:
Interesting piece - but...  Not sure why I would be going to analog only to have my phono pre convert to digital then back to analog???

mrubey:
If your looking for a mm phono stage check out the Decware ZP3. All tube, all point to point wiring. I had one for years. Loved it. $1300 new. Lifetime warranty. Decware is rarely mentioned but they know what they are doing. The real deal.

mrubey:
Bummer. I've had similar experiences. But the guy didn't lie to me. He was just wrong.

--- Quote from: doug s. on May 18, 2020, 10:31:00 PM ---steve deckert left a bad taste in my mouth quite a few years back, when he blatantly lied to me about how one of his low powered amps would do driving my hi-efficiency - but 14 ohm - speakers.  he said it would be great.  it totally sucked - full gain on my preamp wouldn't drive the 97db-efficient speakers to decent volume levels.  and i had two other 4wpc amps that would drive you out of the room if you got anywhere near full gain.

i'd rather not patronize  decware.  if you find something used, at 25% of retail, then maybe it'd be worth a try...

ymmv,

doug s.

--- Quote from: mrubey on May 18, 2020, 09:50:30 PM ---If your looking for a mm phono stage check out the Decware ZP3. All tube, all point to point wiring. I had one for years. Loved it. $1300 new. Lifetime warranty. Decware is rarely mentioned but they know what they are doing. The real deal.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

mrubey:
I don't know. Im pretty sure he is self taught which infers certain limitations. People function within the box defined by their understanding. For most folks, not much exists outside of that. I was thinking that he could have wound you a tranny with 16 ohm taps. My only Decware product was the ZP3 which was wonderful.  But I do truly love my 20/20. Maybe I should have recommended a Sutherland KC Vibe, $895 or Insight $1400. Ron Sutherlands engineering chops are of a known and respected quality.

jimbones:

Doug, I had a similar experience with a company that shall remain nameless. I had a question about the upper limit frequency range of their subs and when they told me I was suspicious. This was critical as the low end response of my OB speakers was limited. But because it was his sub I drank the kool aid. Sure enough  it was now where close to what was i was told. Look, you have to sell and buyer beware.

--- Quote from: doug s. on May 19, 2020, 09:30:36 AM ---well...  in my case, i probably should have known better.  but his explanation sounded plausible.

his 4w amp was rated at 4 ohms.  i doubted it could drive my 14 ohm speakers very well, even tho rated 97db/1w.  (and my speakers were actively crossed over to subs at 80hz, making it an even easier load for an amp.)  he assured me that, tho his amp was rated at 4 ohms, that was to let folks know it could drive more difficult loads, and that it would be fine driving an easier load.

was he just wrong, or was he lying?  and, if he was wrong, what does that say about his engineering skills?  you be the judge.

doug s.

--- Quote from: mrubey on May 19, 2020, 06:29:10 AM ---Bummer. I've had similar experiences. But the guy didn't lie to me. He was just wrong.

--- Quote from: doug s. on May 18, 2020, 10:31:00 PM ---steve deckert left a bad taste in my mouth quite a few years back, when he blatantly lied to me about how one of his low powered amps would do driving my hi-efficiency - but 14 ohm - speakers.  he said it would be great.  it totally sucked - full gain on my preamp wouldn't drive the 97db-efficient speakers to decent volume levels.  and i had two other 4wpc amps that would drive you out of the room if you got anywhere near full gain.

i'd rather not patronize  decware.  if you find something used, at 25% of retail, then maybe it'd be worth a try...

ymmv,

doug s.

--- Quote from: mrubey on May 18, 2020, 09:50:30 PM ---If your looking for a mm phono stage check out the Decware ZP3. All tube, all point to point wiring. I had one for years. Loved it. $1300 new. Lifetime warranty. Decware is rarely mentioned but they know what they are doing. The real deal.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version