Author Topic: Speaker cables  (Read 6916 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Speaker cables
« on: June 20, 2007, 03:36:36 PM »
Aluminata came to my house last weekend and ruined my life. And the perpetrator is in our midst. I told my wife that I want $9400 speaker cables and she just started laughing. Definitely not a good sign. My ego is still a little tender.

The upside was what I learned about my system with all JPS wiring installed. I have found source of the shout - something I never considered, even though Carl pointed to it long ago. It is the anticable SC. It strruggles when the current goes up. Detail, tone and extension are excellent at low levels. But put on the heat and the trouble starts. Glare, congestion, peaky dynamics, shouting.

This week I tried some other speaker wire that Carl gave to me to try. It is antique copper wire with cotton insulation. It needed some break in, but after 10-20 hours it was OK. It got rid of a lot of the congestion at higher volumes which was interesting because it is a much thinner gage than anticable. It is very detailed and super treble response. Bass is tubby, but has improved as break in proceeded, so maybe that will continue to improve. The downside is the mids which are pretty lightweight, especially compared to the Anti's which are glorious in the mids as long, as not too loud...  Compared to the Aluminata cables they are both not even in the ballpark.

So all this teaches me the value of speaker cables, especially when using higher powered amps, full range speakers with "special needs" like high current, low impedance etc.

So naturally I am looking for new speaker cables. I have been reading about Harmonic Technologies and JPS. Anyone familiar with JPS SC+ or SC3? I hope to try SC+ and Pro9+ soon. Other brands you like at this level of performance?
Thanks for any opinions!
Rich

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Speaker cables
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 04:25:43 PM »
Rich, as you know... I've got a 23' run of JPS SC+ biwire speaker cables.   I did an extensive comparison some years back via thecableco.com comparing DH Labs, JPS SC+, Wireworld Equinox & Nordost Blue Heaven...  JPS definitely came out on top.  They seemed better balanced with an excellent sound stage.  But for me, the winning factor was their speed and portrayal of upper mids -- piano, hammer dulcimar, guitar strings... there was just a naturalness there that I really liked. 

I no longer need a run of that length so I'll likely sell or upgrade them.    Hey, if anyone wants them for say, I dunno - $10k - then I could buy the Aluminatas!!!      :rofl:

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 11:26:55 PM »
Insert Quote
Aluminata came to my house last weekend and ruined my life. And the perpetrator is in our midst. I told my wife that I want $9400 speaker cables and she just started laughing. Definitely not a good sign. My ego is still a little tender.

Rich, sometimes I just don't understand women.  :shock: Here you want a reasonable sum of money toward your quest for audio nervana and your wife doesn't take you seriously....... :)

For years, I had a combination of JPS (and JPS clone) interconnects and speaker cables. They were wonderful. Finally, I just wanted to try something new and I went with the Straley Reality's. The main annoying factor with the JPS was the stiff outer flex tube and locking WBT's. It made it very hard to bend and place the cables. I'm curious if the latest JPS still has that stiff outer tube.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 06:20:48 AM »
Hi Nick
The SC2 had a solid copper tube for sheilding. The SC3 has wound copper tape so is supposed to be more flexible. It is 5ga stranded wire inside though, so it is never gonna wrap around a finger...

Mike, thanks for the mini review. ;)
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 08:01:32 AM »
9400 a pair?  Holy frick.   :shock:  For what's probably less than 500 in materials... I was thinking of trying them but never mind. 

BTW, Rich I have the Piega speaker wire which I think you might enjoy.  It's the right length and is a shotgun run for bi-wiring.  They have a clean, smooth sound with great extension.  Might be just what the doctor ordered... I might need a couple more panels so maybe I could run them out to to you for a try.

There is one more set of IC's I'd like you to try that you might like also.. I'll try to remember to bring them.. but they are Belden 8422 w/ DH Labs termination... a recipe I read from a guy named Dan on AC. They're my 'silent killers' ;)....

9400?  Sorry, I'd rather buy crack.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 09:21:07 AM »
OOOPS! I made a mistake. They are not $9400. They are much cheaper than that. Sorry Shane!

They are only  $8900 ;)   (including jumpers - full retail)

Everyone must have their polite hats on, not many comments on the superduper expensive wires, except Carl's totally serious input about crack. The silence is deafening. hehehe

Even Shane said he wouldn't sell me those, not approriate for my modest system which costs less in total! But they do make other cheaper wires. Anybody ever heard JPS alumalloy wires? Don't force me to resort to Stereophile reviews.  :?

Rich

martyt

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 09:35:06 AM »
Rich,
I purchased a pair of Transparent Reference speaker cables, the previous style that sold for 11K new, for $2500 on Audiogon. These are the best cables I have owned in the last 12 years of spending money in this expensive hobby. They drive a pair of JM Labs 936 speakers with a pair of Cary 805 AV amps.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 12:36:59 PM »
I heard those at my local Transparent dealer, Audio Advice. It was part of the best sounding system I ever heard. I never knew the price, but I assumed they were dear based on the looks of them. Are those cap banks in the big "lumps?"

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 12:40:23 PM »
It's basically an overblown Zoebel network.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 07:37:44 AM »
Guys,
          As good as any cable is with your sysyem, synergy is the key. Impedance plays a major role as well as capacitance. Finding the correct cable can be a long drawn out affair since availability is difficult and time consuming. Why don't the Manf's of components reccomend the pararmeters of the cable that best suits their component and we go from there. It would cut the chase to the cables that meet that criteria. Then we could audition the right cable for the job. Every time I used a cable[ IC or speaker ] from the manf. of the component I'm using the match was synergetic with the system. Ever wonder why?
          As far as price is concerned, with all fairness to the Manf's, R&D, labor, dealer markup, overhead and distribution, all adds up. We all know by now the material itself is not much compared to the selling price. A cable through a dealer network has to be high priced to make it. Buying direct has it merrits in price , but the direct guys are catching on to the frenzy with similar high prices. If we stop buying these overpriced cables maybe ,just maybe they will wake up and charge the modest price they should be. Bang for the buck I say. 

I feel better now,
rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
Hi Rich,

That vintage wire sounds like the stuff I had sent to Carl to give a listen too. You may want to try giving that some extra hours as I really like the midrange of that wire and thought that it was its strongpoint besides the extended sweet top end. For $100 up to a 10 foot pair the price was right and although probably can't compete with $8900 wire (I have to find a better paying job) I liked it so much made IC's out of it and even a couple power cords. :D

Later,
 Bill
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 11:40:47 AM »
Hi Rich,

That vintage wire sounds like the stuff I had sent to Carl to give a listen too. You may want to try giving that some extra hours as I really like the midrange of that wire and thought that it was its strongpoint besides the extended sweet top end. For $100 up to a 10 foot pair the price was right and although probably can't compete with $8900 wire (I have to find a better paying job) I liked it so much made IC's out of it and even a couple power cords. :D

Later,
 Bill

It is, Bill... Rich and I live in the same area... I haven't been able to do much comparing so I let Rich give it a listen until I got some more time.  He's been on a mission to find a particular synergistic match in a challenging room and system configuration.... However, I think he found it with the JPS wire.... but not the mega-buck Aluminata's.

Things are only going to get more hectic for me as I move from our current house to a new one, and I've entered my 'busy season' for work.  Thanks and speak to you later,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.