Systemic Development > Analog Devices

Sutherland 20/20 phono preamp

<< < (2/3) > >>

HAL:
With my Shure MM yes, I heard a difference in the high end. 

MC cartridges will be different.

S Clark:
So I need to know the inductance and capacitance needs of the cartridge, then the values of the headshell wires, then the values of the phono cable, then the values of the interconnect before I can the phono pre set for optimum performance... :shock:

I'm beginning to feel like Groucho in this scene from "Horsefeathers"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMC3QwMtQk0

HAL:
If you are using MC cartridges the load resistance is the important parameter to find.  They usually put it in the specs as recommended load resistance.   

Most MM cartridges need 47K Ohm loads typically.  The load capacitance is a spec from the mfg.  I just use my capacitance meter to check the cable to headshell wires.  A lot of DMM's now measure capacitance as well.

A test LP will let you check frequency response. 

You do not need the inductance measurements. 

Putz:
Former Sutherland owner here. I had the PH3D model ($1,000) for about 5 years and it was a great unit for the price. Ran on 16 D batteries, used Op Amps and gain/load settings were adjustable using jumpers.

Ron Sutherland specializes in phono preamps and knows what he is doing. If one of his units suits your needs, definitely worth checking out. Finally met him at CAF last year and got to thank him for the enjoyment his phono stage brought me.

As my system evolved it was time to upgrade and I tried multiple pricier ones that did not seem worth the expense. Finally settled on a Zesto Andros that went for almost $5k new. Sold the PH3D the first day I listed it for sale. My ad of course mentioned "batteries not included".

Nick B:

--- Quote from: Putz on April 01, 2020, 09:20:36 PM ---Former Sutherland owner here. I had the PH3D model ($1,000) for about 5 years and it was a great unit for the price. Ran on 16 D batteries, used Op Amps and gain/load settings were adjustable using jumpers.

Ron Sutherland specializes in phono preamps and knows what he is doing. If one of his units suits your needs, definitely worth checking out. Finally met him at CAF last year and got to thank him for the enjoyment his phono stage brought me.

As my system evolved it was time to upgrade and I tried multiple pricier ones that did not seem worth the expense. Finally settled on a Zesto Andros that went for almost $5k new. Sold the PH3D the first day I listed it for sale. My ad of course mentioned "batteries not included".

--- End quote ---

Ah, yes, I remember that unit with all those D batteries.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/sutherland-ph3d-phonostage/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version