Author Topic: Stillpoints Apertures  (Read 5164 times)

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Stillpoints Apertures
« on: July 24, 2023, 11:04:59 AM »
I have 4 of these. They were painted black and could use a touch up but otherwise in good overall condition. Not sure what to do with them other than sell.

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
Re: Stillpoints Apertures
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 11:28:36 AM »
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline Folsom

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 08:41:01 PM »
Yes but I don't know how to tell if they're I or II. Either way they are better than typical treatments by a lot. The patent is expensive so, so are they.

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2023, 02:33:07 AM »
Yes but I don't know how to tell if they're I or II. Either way they are better than typical treatments by a lot. The patent is expensive so, so are they.

Fair enough. Upon googling, I couldn't find anything regarding the product NRC rating. I'm curious in that I already have room treatments that I purchased from GIK Acoustics. They have specifications listed all over the place. I always like to compare manufacturer specifications. Anyway, thanks for confirming. As to their being model I or II, I could only find information about the II. If I were to guess I would have to say if you've owned them for more than a decade or so their likely model I. If you purchased them new relatively recently then model II. I'll attempt to do some more homework...

Thank you.  :)

EDIT: So it would appear based on the description https://www.stillpoints.us/product/aperture-ii-cherry-black/ that this is a high-quality product and "better" than what GIK offers. These apertures contain a third component -  a resonator - which my panels do not have. Apparently, that acts to change the products characteristics (in a good way) based on the frequencies decibel level. Kewl!  8)

I intend to call the company later and ask some questions...I'll report back.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 02:56:15 AM by GDHAL »
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling

Offline Folsom

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 09:01:25 AM »
Based on the patent they should reduce standing waves much more significantly than GIK panels in the bass - mid band (which the GIKs basically don't do). Above that they may be similar or a bit less absorptive of some of the much higher frequencies.

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 09:28:07 AM »
Based on the patent they should reduce standing waves much more significantly than GIK panels in the bass - mid band (which the GIKs basically don't do). Above that they may be similar or a bit less absorptive of some of the much higher frequencies.

At literally five times the cost per panel they certainly should reduce standing waves much more significantly than GIK panels in the bass.  :thumb:

So I spoke with Paul at Stillpoints. He's very knowledgeable, and rather professional too I might add. He advised me of the following:

1 - To determine if you have model I or II, he states the model I screen is set back 3/4 inches from the frame and is nailed. The model II he states is flush with the frame and glued.

2 - They do not publish NRC specs intentionally. His rationale is that the noise reduction coefficient is only applicable to the fiberglass absorption. He states there is no measurement for diffusion. He further states that their product is so unique, specifically because the fiberglass material is attached to a plastic internal membrane that moves based on sound pressure and frequency, that there is no measurement to quantify the value add sonically.

In my case I'm currently using 12 panels (2x4 feet). The Aperture is 2x2 (so he tells me). He tells me I could use 6 of his panels instead of the 12 I'm using. 1 for each side wall first reflection point and one behind each speaker. He states the Aperture is not designed for use as a ceiling cloud and they have a different product for that. 

I'm sending him an email, offering him some music. He may send me some additional data. If so I'll report back.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 12:38:26 PM by GDHAL »

Offline Folsom

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 11:34:17 AM »
Alright then! Mine are the I .

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 05:44:25 PM »
Folsom, so Paul replied to my email, requesting time to peruse my extensive list http://halr.x10.mx/other.html To that I replied take aLL the time you need  8) 8) 8)  :thumb:

..and suggested he use his browsers "find" or "search" feature to help locate what he's wanting...

he also sent approximately 10 photos, of how the Aperture panels are placed in various setups. I'll be happy to post the photos here on the forum if you deem it appropriate. He initially had trouble emailing me, because many of his photo attachments are excessively large from a disk file perspective (well exceeding the 600KB limit here...as in 5 times...).

But, if you like, I shall and can work my magic on his photos so as to convert the image to another format, reduce resolution and/or size so as to conform to this websites attachment limitation (and for good reason, a limitation should be imposed).

So, I'm seeking to ask if you would like me to post the images, which could result in multiple posts, or email them to you privately, or just "never mind".  :thumb:

Best.

Hal

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2023, 04:33:39 AM »
I realize we're talking about apples and oranges, but in the end, their both fruit. This is interesting reading for those who may be interested  :thumb:

Stillpoint Acoustoc Panel - Patent
https://patents.google.com/patent/US9702143B2/en

GIk Acoustic Panel - Patent
https://www.gikacoustics.com/us-patent-issued-bass-trap-acoustic-panel/

Offline Folsom

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2023, 10:20:22 AM »
The GIK patent is on assembly :rofl:

I'm not saying they don't work, because they do work. But they probably figure people won't actually look?

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2023, 11:21:03 AM »
The GIK patent is on assembly :rofl:

I'm not saying they don't work, because they do work. But they probably figure people won't actually look?

According to their (GIK) website, the patent covers the design and construction. Additionally, it encompasses their proprietary FlexRange Technology membrane system.

Would you like the photos that Paul sent me posted? I'd like to know within a few days, otherwise I'll delete the emails because they are rather large from a disk file perspective.

Offline Folsom

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2023, 11:53:45 AM »
I don't care about any of it since I don't even use what I have.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2023, 05:26:57 PM »

According to their (GIK) website, the patent covers the design and construction. Additionally, it encompasses their proprietary FlexRange Technology membrane system.

Calling a piece of cardboard or Masonite a membrane and giving it a good marketing name is the name of the game.

I have pictures of their Tri-Traps construction.  Literally ~ $10.00 in materials.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2023, 05:43:41 PM »

Calling a piece of cardboard or Masonite a membrane and giving it a good marketing name is the name of the game.

I have pictures of their Tri-Traps construction.  Literally ~ $10.00 in materials.

I've had two personal phone conversations with Glenn Kuras. They weren't pleasant. He admitted his products (which of late have improved) are budget oriented.

Bottom line though is their products work, and they have independent third party auditing data published. Sure, they could have manipulated that aspect too.

One thing they can't manipulate though is the myriads of satisfied customers, which they do have.

I went from foam panels to GIK, and the difference was/is profound. I had them redo, free to me, all of the diffuser plates so the set of 8 (the four ceiling panels do not have diffuser plates) are precisely mirrored 4/4. Looks stunning.

Send me the pics, if you don't mind.

Best.

Hal

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2023, 07:25:40 PM »

I've had two personal phone conversations with Glenn Kuras. They weren't pleasant. He admitted his products (which of late have improved) are budget oriented.

Bottom line though is their products work, and they have independent third party auditing data published. Sure, they could have manipulated that aspect too.

One thing they can't manipulate though is the myriads of satisfied customers, which they do have.

I went from foam panels to GIK, and the difference was/is profound. I had them redo, free to me, all of the diffuser plates so the set of 8 (the four ceiling panels do not have diffuser plates) are precisely mirrored 4/4. Looks stunning.

Send me the pics, if you don't mind.

Best.

Hal
PM me your email address  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe