Author Topic: Von Schweikert VR-35 Speakers  (Read 11506 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Von Schweikert VR-35 Speakers
« on: January 24, 2012, 06:03:42 AM »
A few weeks ago I started down a path to replace my Aerial 10T speakers with Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers. Unlike most of my other 'nervosa' buys, this had little to do with any sonic dislike of my 10Ts.  They have been part of my audio rig since 1996 - far longer than anything else I've owned.  Over the course of those 16 years, I haven't heard any other loudspeakers that I felt could substantially improve on the 10Ts for a reasonable pricetag in my listening space.  (well, yeah, I had listened to a few high-enders like the Aerial 20Ts, but that hardly qualifies as 'reasonable' to my wallet ;-)

But, life, the universe and everything does have a way of changing us.  The 10T speakers had, of late, outgrown their welcome in my living room.  They were never the prettiest speakers, but having them placed well out into the room with two little grandkids running around and having a 'concerned' spouse meant it was time to consider alternatives. 

About my listening room - it doubles as our living room (i.e. minimal room treatment). The room is long (24') and narrow (12'). I learned awhile back that things sounded best in this room with speakers on the long wall stradling a fireplace hearth with sweetspot across the room in a relatively near-field listening triangle of approximately 9' sides.  To find speakers that would work equally well but without dominating the room (or taking a sonic step back) was going to be a challenge. 

Along comes Shane (HomeTheaterDoc) and the Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers. As if Albert Von Schweikert knew of my plight, these are designed to be placed close to the  wall.  We're talking inches from the wall where the 10Ts (and most full-range speakers) need feet. I'd read some very good things about them and When Shane mentioned he had them available, I jumped.

Initial impressions... (OK, we're not supposed to critically listen to new *anything* until broken in and Albert claims these puppies need 500 hours!) I couldn't resist.  The soundstage was BIG.  Taller & wider than what my 10Ts would project.  The mids were quite engaging and more pronounced than the 10Ts but, like any new speaker, these were going to take some time to loosen up and shed a bit of glare.  Compared to the 10Ts, bass was a bit fat and transient attack a bit sloppy.  I can't deny that my initial reaction was somewhat less than I was hoping.  The 10Ts are a tough act to follow.  But break-in being what it is, I just needed more time (for both the speakers and my ears which had clearly spent many years becoming accustomed to the sound of the 10Ts).

Skip ahead a few more weeks, a lot more breakin hours and some futzing with speaker placement... The soundstage is now truly engaging, immersive and immense!  The speakers just disappear leaving a glorious musical presence. Voices and instruments float in a 3D space and remain so even when sitting outside the 'sweetspot'.  Mids and top-end have opened up & lost any last semblance of glare.  Unlike many high-end speakers, the VR-35s cannot be considered highly detailed by any measure.  Images in the soundstage, while well defined and placed, are not of the pin-point location variety.  But there is a wonderful tonal balance top to bottom with no apparent discontinuity between drivers. Last but far from least is the bass. How low can you go!  The bass is deep and far better defined than it was initially. In fact, I'd have to say that the bass is more dominant than the 10Ts (which says a lot!) albeit perhaps not quite as tight and fast... yet... but that has been changing a lot during break-in and I suspect more may come. 

Turn out the lights late at night, insert your favorite music and the performance just fills the room totally carrying me away.  From my perspective these are a music-lovers' dream speakers. When critical listening is called for, it's all there, but I find myself just engaging in the musical performance far more often than not. But to be clear, I would not say they romanticize the music.  A bad recording still sucks and they easily convey upstream electronics.  On a great recording, however, these VR-35s can just flat out sing! 

At this point, they probably have 300+ hours on them total. If Albert's 500+ breakin hours is more fact than hype, there may be more in store.  As much as I'm thoroughly enjoying them, I would like to hear the bass tighten up a bit, but then, a bit more futzing with placement may be all that is needed.  Right now I've got them about 7" from the wall, and pulling them out a bit further into the room (when my wife ain't watching ;-) may just do the trick. 

This past week I sold my 10Ts, but before I packed them up for good, I had the opportunity to listen to them again for a few more hours as the would-be new owner had a chance to check them out.  After plugging the 10Ts back in, it did indeed feel like coming home.  I was struck by just how much my ears had become accustomed to the 10Ts and, for a short while, considered keeping them. But after the new owner left (offer made and accepted), I sat and listened to the VR-35s again.  It wasn't until then that I realized just how much I thoroughly enjoy these new speakers. Goodbye 10Ts and thank you for some awesome years of tunes! You won't be forgotten, but then, perhaps not highly missed either given just how awesome the VR-35s are sounding!

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: Von Schweikert VR-35 Speakers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 06:43:21 AM »
Congrats!

I have my Von Schweikert VR-4 Gen.III speakers "vacationing" at the VSA facility in California, awaiting their upgrades to VR-44 status.

All I can say is that I hope I am as happy with them when they return as you are with your VR-35's.

I guess, time will tell!
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 07:05:03 AM »
I saw Albert's post and ensuing thread about the VR-44s over on AC.   Should be another awesome speaker from VS!

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 07:16:32 AM »
"Your lips to God's ears!"  :thumb:
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

jianghai

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 10:23:57 AM »
Well I'm glad you're enjoying the VR-35s. I sure am enjoying your (now my) 10ts.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »
Jianghai!  Good to see you here on AN.  You should start a separate thread just to rave on the 10Ts (which I would most certainly contributed to!)   I trust they're treating you well!

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 12:26:11 PM »
Welcome aboard jianghai! I hope you will become a frequent visitor.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 12:55:17 PM »
Welcome jianghai.  Congratulations on the new speakers.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 07:29:21 PM »
I totally forgot to mention that Shane had Albert use JPS for all internal wiring on these VR-35s (his pair and mine).   I have nothing to compare them to, but I have to believe it's all for the better!

Offline gopher

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »
Glad its been a positive experience for you.  I recently got some VR-33s which I was undecided on at first, but am growing to like.

You mention it took some work with placement to get them sounding their best.  Any tips you care to share?

One thing I'd love is to dial in some more bass slam.  I have wonderful depth, but would love it to hit harder.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 04:30:27 AM »
Albert claims that these are designed for wall-coupling and the closer you place them to the wall, the more bass you get.  My experience so far is that is definitely true, but ... these speakers don't want for more bass.  To get to a tighter/faster bass (more slam), you might try stuffing the port with dacron which is what he advises if/when the speakers need to be placed near a corner.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »
If they actually produce a fair amount of bass below 50Hz then the chances that you have energized the rooms resonant modes more strongly is high. This means that you now have a greater odds of sitting in a standing wave peak or null. If the bass sounds kind of flabby you may very well be close to or in one of the peak pressure zones.
 If this is taking place the bass should sound different as you walk around the room and transition from high pressure to low pressure zones within the room. You should be able to move the speakers location and the listening position relative to them and achieve some sort of compromise that results in the best bass that the VR35 are capable of. I don't know if this will be perceived as well enough defined or not.
 I assume the speaker is on spikes as these can help tighten up the bass.
Good luck with the journey.
Scotty
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:32:05 AM by _Scotty_ »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 10:34:04 AM »
I, for one, would not call the bass flabby at all (although initially prior to any breakin, they probably were).  Relative to my 10Ts, there is just more bass in the room regardless of listening position.  By and large, that's proving to be a good thing!

I can say that when I had the speakers very close to the wall, the bass could be a bit overwhelming on many recordings.  Something else I'm dealing with is that they are sitting fairly close to a brick fireplace hearth that is 12" high.  This could be creating a bit of a corner effect as well.

I can say that I was able to increase slam in my 10Ts a bit by changing from metal spikes to BDR cones.  I haven't tried that yet on the VR-35s but probably will at some point.

Gopher, how do you have your VR-33s setup?  How close to rear wall and corners?   

Offline gopher

• Certifiable
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 06:35:47 PM »
10 foot spread, 6 inches off the wall. 
Very close to left corner...  about 2 feet away.
No toe in.
Sitting on herbies decoupling gliders.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 07:15:49 PM »
Here is maybe a stupid question do they sound better with the Herbies decoupling gliders or without? Also what changed when you put the gliders under them?
Scotty