Author Topic: HAL at CAF2023  (Read 7307 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: HAL at CAF2023
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2023, 07:35:07 PM »
Day 3 of CAF2023 is complete and the room is packed for going home. 

Hope that the show attendees enjoyed their time in the room and we were able to explain the ideas of the dspNexus 2x8 DSP system and demonstrate its sound quality.

We will see what 2024 brings.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2023, 08:19:48 PM »
Day 3 of CAF2023 is complete and the room is packed for going home. 

Hope that the show attendees enjoyed their time in the room and we were able to explain the ideas of the dspNexus 2x8 DSP system and demonstrate its sound quality.

We will see what 2024 brings.

Glad you had a good, productive time Rich and that you were pleased with the sound 👍
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2023, 05:50:36 PM »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2023, 06:29:08 PM »
Here is the Audiophile Junkies coverage of the HAL room at CAF2023:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oANXienevhU&t=45s&pp=ygUgYXVkaW9waGlsZSBqdW5raWUgbWFnZ2llIHVwZ3JhZGU%3D

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the video. Very interesting and has been a while since I’ve seen anything from the audiophile junkies. Not sure if I’ve ever seen a picture of you before. Is that you in the red polo shirt? And if so, then, who is the gent with the beard?

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2023, 06:51:30 PM »
Here is the Audiophile Junkies coverage of the HAL room at CAF2023:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oANXienevhU&t=45s&pp=ygUgYXVkaW9waGlsZSBqdW5raWUgbWFnZ2llIHVwZ3JhZGU%3D

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the video. Very interesting and has been a while since I’ve seen anything from the audiophile junkies. Not sure if I’ve ever seen a picture of you before. Is that you in the red polo shirt? And if so, then, who is the gent with the beard?

Nick
Yup, Rich, the Danville geniuses and Jaytor!

Jaytor has a pair of GR Research Line Force speakers that are the MOST dynamic speakers I have ever heard, including horns.  Transient response like firing a .357 down a concrete hall: the initial impulse hits like a baseball bat and decay is breathtaking!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2023, 06:56:30 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2023, 08:29:50 PM »
Nick,
Yes, as Dave indicated that is me in the red shirt.  Al Clark from Danville Signal has the beard.

I heard the first pair of Lone Force speakers with the 3x12 servo array at Danny's place the day he finished wiring them.  Scott Clark and Gary Dodd were there as well. I think it was Folsom's amps running them.  Amazing speakers.  We listened to a lot of music to check them out.

The second day I measured the speakers again and made a new version of the crossover on the dspMusik 2x8 that Al designed using Audio Weaver.  We also measured the offset distance with the subs behind the line arrays.  I added the correct time delay to the line arrays to time align with the servo subs.  The systems imaging got even better as I expected.  The only observation was that the DAC analog output stage was not quite as good as his present DAC that I had a hand in developing.  Danny was impressed with the system quality at the time.

The dspNexus 2x8 Al designed address those differences in DAC's output stage and went to next generation versions of DAC's with improved minimum phase filters.  Danny heard it at LSAF 2023 in TX this year on the Magnetar II speakers and 3x12 servo subs I setup.  He gave it two thumbs up and said "you have done it".  To me this is all that needs to be said about the audio quality.

Scott was also at LSAF and asked me to play classical piano.  He was impressed with the sound quality as he knows live piano well. 

Fun times!

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2023, 09:09:02 PM »
Nick,
Yes, as Dave indicated that is me in the red shirt.  Al Clark from Danville Signal has the beard.

I heard the first pair of Lone Force speakers with the 3x12 servo array at Danny's place the day he finished wiring them.  Scott Clark and Gary Dodd were there as well. I think it was Folsom's amps running them.  Amazing speakers.  We listened to a lot of music to check them out.

The second day I measured the speakers again and made a new version of the crossover on the dspMusik 2x8 that Al designed using Audio Weaver.  We also measured the offset distance with the subs behind the line arrays.  I added the correct time delay to the line arrays to time align with the servo subs.  The systems imaging got even better as I expected.  The only observation was that the DAC analog output stage was not quite as good as his present DAC that I had a hand in developing.  Danny was impressed with the system quality at the time.

The dspNexus 2x8 Al designed address those differences in DAC's output stage and went to next generation versions of DAC's with improved minimum phase filters.  Danny heard it at LSAF 2023 in TX this year on the Magnetar II speakers and 3x12 servo subs I setup.  He gave it two thumbs up and said "you have done it".  To me this is all that needs to be said about the audio quality.

Scott was also at LSAF and asked me to play classical piano.  He was impressed with the sound quality as he knows live piano well. 

Fun times!

Rich,

If Dave, Scott and Danny really like your system, it must be fantastic. The flexibility of your system is wonderful and I think you said you are using a very inexpensive dac.

I read the review by a user over at AC and hopefully Al and company can get that pop fixed. I have a pretty loud pop out of my left channel most of the time when turning off. I should ask Dave and Jack about it. Doubt it’s the  Starkrimson Ultra and I do have the Supratek tube preamp. Anyway …. Congrats and one of these days I’d love to hear your setup. Maybe near year at LSAF. I’m near Vegas and I think that’s the closest show.

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2023, 05:21:12 AM »
Nick,
The dspNexus 2x8 HiRez DAC's that Danny heard at LSAF was a prototype with the flagship AKM AK4499's.  These are the best DAC's I have ever heard and do digital volume control at a very high level of sound quality.  There are 4 of the DAC modules in a dspNexus 2x8, so no need for external ones.

Seems like there maybe two audio shows in TX in 2024, LSAF and SWAF that Gary Gill is organizing.  I am not planning on doing another TX show next year as I am trying for a bigger room at CAF2024. 

Back in 2018 I wanted to bring my line arrays to CAF, but 4 ribbons broke when the speaker fell.  They had to be rebuilt and did not make it in time for the show, so I had a big room and The Monoliths speakers.  I made the best of it, but it was way to big for the speaker.  I want a smaller room than that, but with new line arrays in work. :) 

The upgraded Monoliths II speakers will be at AXPONA 2024 in the Danville Signal room.  The idea is the new Radian Audio drivers replacing the original BG planars.  Depends on when the updated LT3.2 planar tweeter is released as the original LT3 is out of production.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2023, 07:17:33 PM »
Nick,
The dspNexus 2x8 HiRez DAC's that Danny heard at LSAF was a prototype with the flagship AKM AK4499's.  These are the best DAC's I have ever heard and do digital volume control at a very high level of sound quality.  There are 4 of the DAC modules in a dspNexus 2x8, so no need for external ones.

Seems like there maybe two audio shows in TX in 2024, LSAF and SWAF that Gary Gill is organizing.  I am not planning on doing another TX show next year as I am trying for a bigger room at CAF2024. 

Back in 2018 I wanted to bring my line arrays to CAF, but 4 ribbons broke when the speaker fell.  They had to be rebuilt and did not make it in time for the show, so I had a big room and The Monoliths speakers.  I made the best of it, but it was way to big for the speaker.  I want a smaller room than that, but with new line arrays in work. :) 

The upgraded Monoliths II speakers will be at AXPONA 2024 in the Danville Signal room.  The idea is the new Radian Audio drivers replacing the original BG planars.  Depends on when the updated LT3.2 planar tweeter is released as the original LT3 is out of production.

Rich,

Thanks for the information. One of these days, it would be nice to hear a dac with the AKM chips that I keep hearing good things about. I was hoping to meet you one of these days, but I’d have to skip a lot of lunches to be able to fly back east to attend CAF. I was on the dspNexus site and the capability of the product is rather amazing. What’s especially interesting to me is the time delay capability.

Glad the show went so well for you and thanks for posting all the updates and the video as well.

Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2023, 05:26:11 AM »
Nick,

Rich,

Thanks for the information. One of these days, it would be nice to hear a dac with the AKM chips that I keep hearing good things about. I was hoping to meet you one of these days, but I’d have to skip a lot of lunches to be able to fly back east to attend CAF. I was on the dspNexus site and the capability of the product is rather amazing. What’s especially interesting to me is the time delay capability.

Glad the show went so well for you and thanks for posting all the updates and the video as well.

Nick
Nick,
Understand.

There is some Danville interest in doing a DAC using the AKM AK4499EX chip set.  Basically the same DAC and output stage as the dspNexus 2x8 for stereo with USB Audio input.  There has been a lot of interest in a stand alone stereo DAC, so only time will tell.

Rich

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2023, 09:16:29 AM »
Nick,

Rich,

Nick
Nick,
Understand.

There is some Danville interest in doing a DAC using the AKM AK4499EX chip set.  Basically the same DAC and output stage as the dspNexus 2x8 for stereo with USB Audio input.  There has been a lot of interest in a stand alone stereo DAC, so only time will tell.

Rich

Thanks, Rich
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
  • How do you like them apples?
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2023, 09:54:05 AM »
Nick,

Rich,

Nick
Nick,
Understand.

Rich

Thanks, Rich

Maybe you guys can use my PecanPi+ DAC (AK4499EXEQ based) for that all you have to do is add USB to I2S conversion and there is your stereo USB DAC. Will fully support up to 32bit/1536k, it already has SPDIF input, so can be both SPDIF and USB in.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2023, 11:15:49 AM »
Nick,

Rich,

Nick
Nick,
Understand.

Rich

Thanks, Rich

Maybe you guys can use my PecanPi+ DAC (AK4499EXEQ based) for that all you have to do is add USB to I2S conversion and there is your stereo USB DAC. Will fully support up to 32bit/1536k, it already has SPDIF input, so can be both SPDIF and USB in.

Leo,

Can you provide any more info on the dac part and are any of the dac components able to be upgraded?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline orchardaudio

• Industry Participant
  • How do you like them apples?
    • Orchard Audio
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2023, 11:30:37 AM »
Nick,

Rich,

Nick
Nick,
Understand.

Rich

Thanks, Rich

Leo,

Can you provide any more info on the dac part and are any of the dac components able to be upgraded?

It's all here:
https://orchardaudio.com/pecanpi_plus_implementation_spec_test_results/

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2023, 11:45:00 AM »
Nick,

Rich,

Nick
Nick,
Understand.

Rich

Thanks, Rich

Leo,

It's all here:
https://orchardaudio.com/pecanpi_plus_implementation_spec_test_results/

Thanks 👍
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords