Author Topic: opinions wanted on subwoofers  (Read 23430 times)

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
Re: opinions wanted on subwoofers
« Reply #105 on: December 30, 2023, 01:01:22 PM »
Congrats on the second sub Den.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II Mk II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G2.2
Verity Otello/Nola KO
(4) Rythmik F12SE
(2) Puritan PSM-156
Tubulus USB & AES
Wireworld IC's and SC's

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #106 on: December 31, 2023, 07:43:22 PM »
OK, I have succumbed to the 2 subs rec. I have cleared my room of most of the furniture it was a matter of space. I was planning to do this when I  got the first F12SE Rythmik in here. It sounds extremely good now. I'll be back with comments after break in.

Congrats! I’m quite happy with mine and they’re entry level Rythmik. I received some good advice here and am enjoying the results right now 🎶🎶
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline DRN

• Seeking Help
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2024, 05:01:39 PM »
The great Sub fiasco. Stay tuned for more.
Rogue CM Dark 2SB2000Pro
Fritz Carrera Be SA Stands
CA Emotion SE CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm Phoenix Falcon PS
AT33PTG II Shelter 501 lll
Darlington DP8B Su7

Wywires Silver Series Platinum AES
Yggdrasil+LIM CECTL5 Trans
BS Node 2i Qobuz
Room all treated

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2024, 05:39:24 PM »
Fiasco?

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2024, 06:03:22 PM »

Mine haven’t been hooked up for a while. I’ll be quite interested to hear what’s been going on with yours….
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2024, 06:26:41 PM »

Mine haven’t been hooked up for a while. I’ll be quite interested to hear what’s been going on with yours….
Why?
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2024, 06:59:25 PM »

Why?

When I had them on as the Supratek preamp was dying with the left channel and later with the right, there was a persistent loud thump coming out of the left sub when turning on/off. After switching tubes, interconnects, etc I decided I wanted to just simplify my system for a time. With the addition of the Hattor Big preamp, everything is playing flawlessly and sounding great. I also bought Pete’s HP Digital American II power cord and wanted to continue to evaluate changes in the system without adding anything back in for the time being.

By the way, Pete’s power cord from wall to UberBUSS is very, very good 👍  The full loom of the Audio Envy power cords gave me a nice improvement, but just this one cord from Pete surpassed that. I’m so glad I gave it a try.
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline DRN

• Seeking Help
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2024, 09:50:59 AM »
I figured that would get your interest. I've been in this for over 40 years. Never seen this.

One sub (no names mentioned) purchased last May. 2nd purchased this past Jan.
Mid Jan both subs stopped. All fuses fine all breakers in dedicated room fine. I determined ( thought) it was my CM2 Variable outs.
I sent in my CM2  to Rogue to fix, decided to go for the "Dark upgrade  $2300 since it was there.
Everything checked out fine at Rogue on the CM2.  I was asked if I still wanted the upgrade. Went for the upgrade anyway it was there already (2 weeks total back to me). Subs still not up and running. All lights and fuses fine, remember the amp is ALL new now.
 Still not working on the NEW amp. I pulled one sub amp, sent one Amp back for testing. All checked out fine there. Hmmm? Checked driver seemed to not have a blown voice coil. Green light came on the remaining sub  to wake up sub amp to play source CD or phono and nothing. I had my electricity checked on that room.
First suspect wires. All wires were tipple checked and switched. I make my own Mogami 2549, a very meticulous build.

You all following this? There more in between, my comments not so good, but I will save space here.

Conclusion, both Subs were sent back yesterday for refund. Why refund? Because it could not be resolved. It was decided to not send 2 more in as replacements. It "had to be my system somewhere". System is pretty much all new especially my Amp, and the old CM2  sent to Rogue checked out fine. I was asked by Rogue if I still wanted the DARK upgrade? I went for it, damn Shipping will kill you now.

In conclusion I was told I was "unreasonable" because the company is a three man company.  Nothing derogatory all very polite and congenial throughout on my part. Finally was told "he didn't want to business with me anymore". A little bit put off (WTF really offended) by all that. I'm the customer. Geeeze!

I didn't want to mention any names to jeopardize my refund.

Any I ideas? What's going on?
I have to replace these with something else.
You should see me jockeying these 60+ lbs bitches around to pack and bring down the stairs. My wife says I'm nuts!
Advil time.

Please excuse any bad English :duh 

« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 10:30:01 AM by DRN »
Rogue CM Dark 2SB2000Pro
Darlington DP8B Su7

BS Node 2i Qobuz
Room all treated

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2024, 10:23:02 AM »
I figured that would get your interest. I've been in this for over 40 years. Never seen this.

Mid Jan both subs stopped. All fuses fine all breakers in dedicated room fine. I determined ( thought) it was my CM2 Variable outs.
I sent in my CM2  to Rogue to fix, decided to go for the "Dark upgrade  $2300 since it was there.
Everything checked out fine at Rogue on the CM2.  I was asked if I still wanted the upgrade. Went for the upgrade anyway it was there already (2 weeks back to me). Subs still not up and running. All lights and fuses fine, remember the amp is ALL new now.
 Still not working on the NEW amp. I pulled one sub amp, sent one Amp back for testing. All checked out fine there. Hmmm? Checked driver seemed to not have a blown voice coil. Green light came on the remaining sub  to wake up sub amp to play source CD or phono and nothing. I had my electricity checked on that room.
First suspect wires. All wires were tipple checked. I make my own Mogami 2549, a very meticulous build.

You all following this? There more in between, but I will save space here.

Conclusion, both Subs were sent back yesterday for refund. Why refund? Because it could not be resolved. It was decided to not send 2 more in as replacements. It "had to be my system somewhere". System is pretty much all new especially my Amp, and the old CM2  sent to Rogue checked out fine. I was asked by Rogue if I still wanted the DARK upgrade? I went for it, damn Shipping will kill you now.

In conclusion I was told I was "unreasonable" because the company is a three man company.  Nothing derogatory all very polite and congenial. Finally was told "he didn't want to business with me anymore". A little bit put off (WTF really offended) by all that. I'm the customer. Geeeze!

You should see me jockeying these 60+ lbs bitches around to pack and bring down the stairs. My wife says I'm nuts!
Advil time.

Wow….thats as weird…or worse…than my saga. I tried so many different changes that I lost track. Soon I’ll add the subs back in and everything should continue to play fine…. I think 🤔

I know an audiophile on the east coast who's quite the sub enthusiast and who was persistent in getting me to try subs. I told him about my adventures and then he suggested I add an external xover like a Marchand or Sublime. No f…….in way will I be doing that. Another box and even more wires and potential for more stuff to go wrong   😠 

One thing this has reinforced is that simpler is better. Although I have enjoyed the improvement in SQ overall by adding the subs, I can’t say right now that it’s been worth the effort. I’ll make a final decision within a couple of months whether or not to sell them.
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Folsom

« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2024, 11:37:22 AM »

Everything checked out fine at Rogue on the CM2.  I was asked if I still wanted the upgrade. Went for the upgrade anyway it was there already (2 weeks total back to me). Subs still not up and running. All lights and fuses fine, remember the amp is ALL new now.
First suspect wires. All wires were tipple checked and switched. I make my own Mogami 2549, a very meticulous build.

You all following this? There more in between, my comments not so good, but I will save space here.

In conclusion I was told I was "unreasonable" because the company is a three man company.  Nothing derogatory all very polite and congenial throughout on my part. Finally was told "he didn't want to business with me anymore". A little bit put off (WTF really offended) by all that. I'm the customer. Geeeze!

Advil time.

Please excuse any bad English :duh

It is really hard to discern things on either end from the outside. I am pretty curious what the problem was however. Sometimes subs have a big loop electrically so there is a concern that something in the chain can have an issue, like a preamp output. Can you confirm putting in any other device will play music, an amp and a speaker? (does not have to be sub, just make sure you get output)

Offline DRN

• Seeking Help
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2024, 12:02:31 PM »
Not on a brand new amp which it is using  line ouput/variable not fixed outputs. Cronus has both variable and fixed. I was told by Rogue to use the variable line out NOT fixed.
After my CM2 complaint checkup from Rogue of course they checked both amps outputs. My Streamer Node2i worked through my Yiggy+ to both amps CM2 and now Dark model,  but not the subs.
System is playing perfect and nice sounding now without the subs.
I'll know more Friday.
Rogue CM Dark 2SB2000Pro
Darlington DP8B Su7

BS Node 2i Qobuz
Room all treated

Offline Folsom

« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2024, 12:23:05 PM »
My point was to verify the Cronus output, not the subs.

At least you do not require subs to enjoy the stereo, that is a positive, even if not the exact one you wanted.

Offline DRN

• Seeking Help
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2024, 02:48:51 PM »
Thanks for all input. Yes I understood your point.
All this time I'm sick of screwing with stuff. I was so pissed I was ready to sell everything.
But, we can't do that can we.  :shock:
Rogue CM Dark 2SB2000Pro
Darlington DP8B Su7

BS Node 2i Qobuz
Room all treated

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2024, 04:17:36 PM »
All this time I'm sick of screwing with stuff. I was so pissed I was ready to sell everything.
Put the device down and slowly back away from any screwy ideas like  :shock: "selling things!"
 :rofl:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2024, 06:02:55 PM »
Put the device down and slowly back away from any screwy ideas like  :shock: "selling things!"
 :rofl:

DRN….. do exactly what Dave says! 😆
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz