Author Topic: opinions wanted on subwoofers  (Read 23432 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: opinions wanted on subwoofers
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2023, 04:38:17 PM »
Nick, have you tried out the Parametric Equalizer in the MUSE suite to roll off the lows
in the JMR Voce Grandes yet. Inquiring minds want to know. aa
Scotty

Yes, yes we do! :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2023, 09:38:03 PM »
Nick, have you tried out the Parametric Equalizer in the MUSE suite to roll off the lows
in the JMR Voce Grandes yet. Inquiring minds want to know. aa
Scotty

Scotty and Dave,

No I haven't. Didn't even think about it 🤷  Am just enjoying what I  have right now and am playing a lot of tunes I'm very familiar with. I will probably try it in a couple of days though. As I mentioned, the subs are set at 45Hz right now. I think Dave believes the sweet spot will be 70-80 based on the JMR drivers , which I'm pretty sure are 7". Back to the hard work .... 😊🎶🎶
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2023, 08:47:10 AM »
Congrats- I’m sure you’ll enjoy your new subs. I wish I could remember all the setup and testing I did when integrating two subs into my system. As I do I’ll post, but one that you’ll surely need is to level the spl of one sub to the other.
I have an asymmetrical room like you, and the sub with a true corner has to be one hash mark lower on the volume dial than the one on the open side. The corner really does amplify things.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2023, 10:55:53 PM »
Congrats- I’m sure you’ll enjoy your new subs. I wish I could remember all the setup and testing I did when integrating two subs into my system. As I do I’ll post, but one that you’ll surely need is to level the spl of one sub to the other.
I have an asymmetrical room like you, and the sub with a true corner has to be one hash mark lower on the volume dial than the one on the open side. The corner really does amplify things.

The last time I had a symmetrical room was back in so. California over 20 years ago. Eventually I'll get them dialed in. I know nothing about the process, but have some instructions from Rythmik, some smart guys here and plenty of utube videos as well. Should work out just fine. For 12" subs, they take up very little space and fit right in.
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #94 on: September 06, 2023, 12:22:28 AM »
The subs are slowly breaking in and still set at 45Hz. Very pleased so far 👍

I also wanted to comment on my JM Reynaud Voce Grande speakers. Damn... what a great 2 way and that AST/AMT is so good. It's about 6.5" and goes down to 1200Hz. The clarity, ease, presence, tonality is very special. So I'm curious if anyone else has experience with the air striction/air motion tweeters.
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2023, 04:17:22 AM »
A friend that bought Heil AMT-1B's in college still has them.  Has the larger dipole version of the AMT.  Very clean mids and highs. 

Only problem was the passive radiator foam woofer surround that had to be replaced on both speakers.  Standard maintenance for those.

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2023, 05:51:53 AM »
The subs are slowly breaking in and still set at 45Hz. Very pleased so far 👍

I also wanted to comment on my JM Reynaud Voce Grande speakers. Damn... what a great 2 way and that AST/AMT is so good. It's about 6.5" and goes down to 1200Hz. The clarity, ease, presence, tonality is very special. So I'm curious if anyone else has experience with the air striction/air motion tweeters.

I have an "HVFR" tweeter, which stands for high velocity folded ribbon, in my Triton Reference speakers. They are AMT, but   GoldenEar does not use that term. They are superb. The HVFR tweeter is used in all other Triton Tower models, however, the one in the Reference has 50% more neodymium magnetic material than the rest of the lineup.

:thumb:

EDIT: So apparently GE is (now) able to use the acronym "AMT"  (in addition to HVFR). Perhaps their being bought by Audioquest had something to do with it. At one point they avoided AMT in their specs, now they don't. https://www.goldenear.com/full-range-tower-speakers/triton-series/triton-reference Also, I do know for a fact that the specs of all Triton speakers are "better" than what's stated on the website. You can verify that by checking the user manuals, which weren't updated. Audioquest chose to use ultra-conservative specifications  8)

From the GE product catalog PDF file: High-Velocity Folded Ribbon (HVFR™) Tweeter ; Rather than pushing air like a traditional tweeter, an HVFR tweeter propagates soundwaves and moves the air by squeezing it with its accordion-like pleated diaphragm. Its efficiency, low mass, and large radiating area ensure lower distortion than other tweeter designs in its price range. These HVFR attributes contribute greatly to GoldenEar’s effortless sound and 3D imaging. The Triton Reference, One.R, and BRX (Bookshelf Reference X) use  a “Reference” version of this tweeter with a larger  magnet structure for greater efficiency, control, and  lower distortion.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 07:55:35 AM by GDHAL »
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2023, 10:32:22 AM »
A friend that bought Heil AMT-1B's in college still has them.  Has the larger dipole version of the AMT.  Very clean mids and highs. 

Only problem was the passive radiator foam woofer surround that had to be replaced on both speakers.  Standard maintenance for those.

When I have some time, I'll read up on the history of Heil and how it differs from the AST. I've heard of Heil, but not sure if I've heard them at shows or if any of the audio club guys  ever owned them.
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2023, 11:03:10 AM »

When I have some time, I'll read up on the history of Heil and how it differs from the AST. I've heard of Heil, but not sure if I've heard them at shows or if any of the audio club guys  ever owned them.

If you discover the difference in AST vs AMT please report your findings. I'd like to know myself. From what I do know, they are essentially the same. The AMT technology was invented by Heil. In all likelihood, there are royalties associated with using that term. Hence why GoldenEar uses HVFR and another manufacturer may use AST.

In any case, according to Sandy Gross, the best tweeter possible in today's technology is a plasma tweeter. Lansche top-of-the-line speakers use them. Other than that, an excellent horn-loaded design can be very formidable.
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2023, 05:37:23 PM »

If you discover the difference in AST vs AMT please report your findings. I'd like to know myself. From what I do know, they are essentially the same. The AMT technology was invented by Heil. In all likelihood, there are royalties associated with using that term. Hence why GoldenEar uses HVFR and another manufacturer may use AST.

In any case, according to Sandy Gross, the best tweeter possible in today's technology is a plasma tweeter. Lansche top-of-the-line speakers use them. Other than that, an excellent horn-loaded design can be very formidable.

So far, AST/AMT appear to be the same. As to plasma tweeters, I did a very brief search earlier and came across Lansche. I may have heard a plasma tweeter years ago in so. California at a very high end store in the Brentwood/Beverly Hills area. It was not pleasant. But I'm blaming the dealer on that one and never went back....
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2023, 07:42:56 PM »
I have put a lot of hours on the subs. Lost track, but 250 at least. Lots of boom boom thump thump…hour after hour, day after day…It was only a connection into the subs, not with the JMR Voce Grande as well. But after the monotony of it all, I hooked things up last night and things really sound good! The Rythmik are very complimentary and add such substance and fullness. I have not attempted to dial them in at all, use the REW software, or use the inline filters which should arrive soon. I just don’t have the time right now. But I’m quite happy right now and thanks for the help to get me to this point
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2023, 03:43:52 PM »
I am a late comer, did not read any recommendations, but I have REL subs and they seemed to be
quite descent. The RELs I heard did not have any remote, however, if that is a deal breaker.

cheers

steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2023, 04:41:11 PM »
I am a late comer, did not read any recommendations, but I have REL subs and they seemed to be
quite descent. The RELs I heard did not have any remote, however, if that is a deal breaker.

cheers

steve

Steve,

I got two Rythmik L12s and they are broken in and sounding quite good. $600 each and a small footprint and nice looking. Need to get a mic and use REW software. But that’s on the to do list as I need to complete the interior of my house before Thanksgiving. I moved last November
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline DRN

• Seeking Help
« Reply #103 on: December 30, 2023, 09:29:54 AM »
OK, I have succumbed to the 2 subs rec. I have cleared my room of most of the furniture it was a matter of space. I was planning to do this when I  got the first F12SE Rythmik in here. It sounds extremely good now. I'll be back with comments after break in.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2023, 09:34:10 AM by DRN »
Rogue CM Dark 2SB2000Pro
Fritz Carrera Be SA Stands
CA Emotion SE CMB Carbon Satisfy Arm Phoenix Falcon PS
AT33PTG II Shelter 501 lll
Darlington DP8B Su7

Wywires Silver Series Platinum AES
Yggdrasil+LIM CECTL5 Trans
BS Node 2i Qobuz
Room all treated

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #104 on: December 30, 2023, 12:34:31 PM »
OK, I have succumbed to the 2 subs rec. I have cleared my room of most of the furniture it was a matter of space. I was planning to do this when I  got the first F12SE Rythmik in here. It sounds extremely good now. I'll be back with comments after break in.

Given the *2*,  you've succumbed for the betterment, sonically.   :)

"Break in" should be swift, not the the Taylor type mind you.   :D :thumb: