Author Topic: I think my System is virtually, finally finished  (Read 34721 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: I think my System is virtually, finally finished
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2024, 10:03:15 AM »
One other tidbit if I may.

It is almost always advantageous to use the same brand, and even model, capacitor throughout
a design. When one has to compensate an inferior capacitor with a different
brand capacitor, the end result is almost always degraded sound in one or more aspects.

Using the same brand, the most natural/accurate capacitors in a design results in fewer abnormal
aspects in sound. Of course, the budget needs to be considered.

As an example, adding a single 1ufd solen capacitor into the crossover network negatively affected
the sound of the entire system.

One outstanding, natural, accurate capacitor, in absolute terms, is the Mundorf M EVO aluminum,
in oil (white covering). Small to large values I have tested are outstanding and recommended.
(I am not affiliated, and/or compensated in any way from Mundorf.)

cheers

steve
I have found capacitors made by SCR (Solen, Axon, etc) have a house sound: gritty 🫤 . 

I'm in absolute agreement about using the same cap family in gear for consistency.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2024, 12:19:01 PM »
One other tidbit if I may.

It is almost always advantageous to use the same brand, and even model, capacitor throughout
a design. When one has to compensate an inferior capacitor with a different
brand capacitor, the end result is almost always degraded sound in one or more aspects.

Using the same brand, the most natural/accurate capacitors in a design results in fewer abnormal
aspects in sound. Of course, the budget needs to be considered.

As an example, adding a single 1ufd solen capacitor into the crossover network negatively affected
the sound of the entire system.

One outstanding, natural, accurate capacitor, in absolute terms, is the Mundorf M EVO aluminum,
in oil (white covering). Small to large values I have tested are outstanding and recommended.
(I am not affiliated, and/or compensated in any way from Mundorf.)

cheers

steve
I have found capacitors made by SCR (Solen, Axon, etc) have a house sound: gritty 🫤 . 

I'm in absolute agreement about using the same cap family in gear for consistency.

Nice way of putting it Dave. Same here, gritty, which, for newbies, means the harmonic structure
of the instruments/voices has slightly been altered, and different from, say, the M EVO Mundorfs aluminum.
I mentioned this aspect because on other forums I have read some trying to improve
synergy by using different brand caps. Better off to improve the overall design.

cheers

steve

« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 10:29:02 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2024, 10:44:52 AM »
Just want to invite anyone traveling/living near Morton/Peoria, Illinois to drop by and see what I am testing
at the moment. Please give 1 days notice if you can so I can get the system warmed up.

Just PM me or use stevesammet at yahoo.com

Cheers

steve
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 12:53:53 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2024, 10:52:11 PM »
Just want to invite anyone traveling/living near Morton, Illinois to drop by and see what I am testing
at the moment. Please give 1 days notice if you can so I can get the system warmed up.

Cheers

steve

Hi Steve,

Too bad I live so far away, or you'd have a squatter on your hands for a brief time  😁  Sounds like great fun!
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Hattor Big preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Holo Cyan2 dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2024, 09:42:59 AM »
Just want to invite anyone traveling/living near Morton, Illinois to drop by and see what I am testing

Cheers

steve

Hi Steve,

Too bad I live so far away, or you'd have a squatter on your hands for a brief time  😁  Sounds like great fun!
Nick

Yes, it does!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2024, 12:47:42 PM »
I found out (probably should have known) that the JJ output tubes use solder without lead
in the tube pins. Unleaded solders tend to thin the sound vs quad solders with lead.

So I added some quad solder to the cathode, grid, screen, and plates pins of the KT88s. The sound
did fill out a little. I like both the JJ KT88s and the new Tung Sols (given to me years before the war).

I am also testing lower filament voltage and its effects on life on new, small signal tubes. In general
there are several causes of reduced tube life.

1. Residual gas/ ion bombardment
2. Too high of filament voltage "boiling" off of oxides
3. Too low of filament voltage causing excessive space charge depletion
4. Cathode sleeve impurities causing poisoning of the oxides

It may or may not take some time of use to hopefully arrive at a conclusion or two.

Cheers

steve
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 12:01:44 PM by steve »
SAS Test Phono Stage