Author Topic: April 1st: Carl's DAC comparison get together...  (Read 42922 times)

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
April 1st: Carl's DAC comparison get together...
« on: March 15, 2012, 07:17:40 AM »
Not that I'm volunteering the guy or anything :)  :rofl:

Just a heads up that the upgrade board to take my PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC to MKII status finally shipped out and should be here soon.  It usually doesn't play nice with Carl's Piega speakers and other electronics as they're not a good match.. but I'll be curious to see if the new version changes that...

Depending on when this is held, I may or may not be able to attend :)  But I'll contribute three pieces to the comparison:

1) PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC (PWD) MKII
2) Abbingdon Music Research (AMR) DP-777 DAC with remote switchable 16 bit NOS DAC or 24bit high rez DAC
3) Antelope Audio Zodiac Gold DAC with Voltikus power supply

All three are very, very, very good pieces, but do offer different perks, features, and drawbacks... all of them are now around the same price, which unfortunately is not inexpensive...

Let me know whenever the date is set and I'll arrange the long distance shipping of the items to Carl's place ;)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:59:04 PM by Carlman »
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
Re: Carl's DAC comparison get together...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 09:41:06 AM »
+1 from the cheap seats  :thumb:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 10:41:09 AM »
I think he's waiting for me to finish building his DAC before scheduling it.

djdube525

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 11:17:19 AM »
FWIW... if the timing works out... the EE MiniMax Plus from Bill is headed to NC as we speak... could be another to add to the mix.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:15:59 PM by djdube525 »

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:51:55 AM »
FWIW... if the timing works out... the EE MiniMax Plus from NC is headed to NC as we speak... could be another to add to the mix.

Dave

You should have the Plus friday Dave, can you hold out for 1 more day?  :thumb:

Look forward to hearing about some Dac impressions & comparisons.  8)

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

jianghai

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 10:47:45 PM »
I can bring some cheap stuff if people are interested:

Peachtree DAC.IT
Fiio D3

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 10:07:09 AM »
All DAC's are welcome, and thanks for starting this thread, Shane.  :thumb:

I did not realize the EE mini+ would be here so soon.  But, Dave needs to spend some time with it.. and if there are others here that want to try it in their systems alone, that would be a good idea to give me a little more time. 

The meet will likely be on a Saturday afternoon... just need to figure out which one.  But.. depending on my wife and son, might be on a Sunday... I will update as soon as I know.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling, looking forward to this! :)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 11:43:27 AM »
Sounds like a blast.

I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 12:29:59 PM »
Sounds like an awesome time!  I'm thinking it may be time to bring back the Oracle Pre/DAC ... kinda like a Rocky VI movie.   

Just pick a day that's not a big NCAA tourney day (unless, of course, the mancave will be dedicated to bball!)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »
I'll have a Berkeley Alpha DAC for the next month, original version.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: March 31st: Carl's DAC comparison get together...
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 01:41:29 PM »
OK, so, March 31st is the earliest I can do the DAC comparison.  I am very tempted to do it on April 1st... but no one would believe us! ;)

It'll need to start late afternoon, 4:00 and go on until it ends.  As it gets closer, I'll decide on food and such.

Please PM or email me the DAC you are bringing, the web link, and/or the specifications (including number and type of inputs, outputs, etc.)  I'm putting together a little booklet of the DAC's we'll hear and have a place to write notes.

We are up to like 7 DAC's so, probably not a good idea to add any more.  I don't know how we'll switch between them all...

Thanks,
Carl
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:47:35 PM by Carlman »

jianghai

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 03:01:13 PM »
Just FYI, there's a Head-Fi/The Vinyl Show headphone/turntable/vinyl event that day in Charlotte:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/562582/3-31-12-canfest-iii-headphone-event-charlotte-nc-with-turntable-and-vinyl-show

I will likely go, depending on how early I want to wake up on Saturday. Regardless I can bring either/both/neither my DACs to our gathering if people are interested.

I know it's controversial/unscientific, but it could be interesting to do somewhat of a single blind listening test.

J
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 03:05:22 PM by jianghai »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 06:06:25 PM »
Most of the time we find a moment to do a little blind testing where I'm switching something and no one knows what I'm actually switching. (SBT)  Sometimes I forget what's what so it becomes DBT and I have to look and see at some point.   :shock:

Blind testing takes some real focus and you have to hit the moment just right at a larger gathering.  It's not like we'll be doing blind testing for long... It's too hard to keep that kind of focus for long.

But hopefully we'll have a few moments where we're really trying to dissect 'what it is we're hearing' without the coloration of equipment-knowledge/expectations.  Other times I find it's easier to hear what the differences are knowing what it is making them... Like, ah, that's right, that tube DAC inverts phase... THAT's what that is... etc. ;)

I will likely run this event like we have in the past, where there is a bunch of fun and open-swapping but at some point, we'll do the actual comparisons.  Probably sets of 3 or 4 DAC's.  Shane's 3, then the 3 I have... Then one more set of visiting DAC's.  That is a LOT of comparing.  This will be a DAC-off. ha.

I will probably do something where we each pick a song, but you only get 30 seconds.  So, choose 30 seconds of a song you like for this event.  That way we can actually get through all the DAC's... and not get terribly bored of the songs.  (Peter Gabriel, anyone? ;) )

-C

Offline stereofool

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 06:53:50 PM »
I'd like to make the DACoff, but I would also like to attend Canfest III.

There's not going to be many more chances to be around Joe Grado...what a brilliant man  :thumb:.

Looks like I may have to do some finagaling here  :roll:.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 03:43:51 AM »
I'd like to make the DACoff, but I would also like to attend Canfest III
Similar thoughts, plus I am supposed to facilitate the  boat's migratory return to the sea. Not sure how it will all shake out.

Steve & jhianghai, if it were just CAVE, it runs 9-4, and you'd make it back to Carl's by 4 leaving at 2 or so. That's what I am planning if I can deal with the boat issue.

Always seems to be the case - multiple things to do, or nothing  :duh