Author Topic: New user using a Denon DVD-5000 as a DAC  (Read 6283 times)

Offline movielover40

New user using a Denon DVD-5000 as a DAC
« on: April 18, 2016, 02:10:48 PM »
First post here.

Picked up one of these because it had a optical input on it.

Any thoughts on this?

Thing is super heavy and seems to be super well built.

I use a cheap Entech Number Cruncher on my computer audio out as I have a sound card with optical outputs on it.

Looked into some TDA1541 dacs but they seem super expensive.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: New user using a Denon DVD-5000 as a DAC
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2016, 03:34:32 PM »
Welcome to AudioNervosa

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/nice-surprise-denon-dvd-5000-as-a-dac.363467/

The Philips TDA1541 dac is very old technology.  People still love it (lampizator?) because it's non-oversampling but to me it sounds like some old vintage tubes, missing edge and life. I think some newer chips avoid the sibilant digititis and are more capable overall. PCM1794, ESS9018 depending on the implementation, of course.

Your Denon sounds interesting, worth a try.

Offline movielover40

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 07:20:54 AM »
thanks rich!!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 07:42:41 AM »
Welcome aboard. A decent transport maybe. Check out inexpensive Schitt bitfrost. Not a dealer for Scitt.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline movielover40

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 02:01:19 PM »
the laser won't work on it so i use it only as a dac.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 02:55:12 PM »
The Denon DVD-5000 is quite the interesting piece of gear.

That is cool that it can be used as a DAC from looking at the back of it. Who would have thought that using the digital input on the DVD5000 and it would output to the analog outputs. Whenever I saw the digital inputs and outputs on a DVD player I thought only the digital outputs were active when the digital input was used.

I think the older Phillips DAC is along the lines of what Rich said above. To me they are a little smoother and don't have as much detail as the newer Sabre DACs. They do have some life in my experience but not as much sparkle and detail but it is a fine line. I have a NOS DAC that I keep around when I want a different flavor to the music.

As long as you enjoy the DVD5000 keep enjoying it. If I had a working DVD5000 and liked the sound a lot I would keep it just for the cool factor. A 40 lb DAC with that insane power supply. Good stuff.